Weekend getaway to Florida

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
Ahh, surf, sand, and tan. There is nothing quite like the beauty of turquoise water whether you're swimming in it amongst the marine wildlife or flying above it with the barrier of land and sea as far as the eyes can see. The sand is soft beneath your toes and the opportunities of a good tan are endless. But is this really the only reason to visit Panama City? Of course not!

Panama City is known as the "World's Most Beautiful Beaches." Every year it attracts all types of beach goers from the kids and families who just want to chase the waves to teenagers looking for great night life all the way up to couples of every age just looking for a place to relax, have fun, and see the world famous sunsets. As a pilot, I also have to say it is one of the friendliest and prettiest places to fly. The banner planes and Panama City International Airport (about 7 miles from the coast) are more than willing to share the airspace, smooth ride on the coastal breeze and even a short chat on the beach frequency (122.75).

There are many opportunities available for some fun including deep sea fishing aboard a charter boat or maybe a tour of the coast.

I had the opportunity to ride the Sea Screamer which resembles a huge speed boat and is fit for every age. We took the evening 2 hour tour and dolphin watch. After everyone boards they are given a safety brief before heading out to sea. Next to us is a neat replica of a pirate ship complete with their own pirates that also offer rides. We learn that he is actually our captain's cousin...and our rivals for the trip out to sea.

The Sea screamer full of excited tourists of all shapes and sizes pulls out of the dock and we head for the gulf. Upon turning the corner, all the kids and anyone else that wants to join, sneak towards the middle of the boat and grab our secret weapons; water guns! The Sea screamer slowly floats within inches of the "Sea Dragon" (the pirate ship) and seconds after the captains yell "go" everyone on each of the ships are drenching each other with water! In a matter of seconds we were soaked!! Watch out for those pirates though, they fought back with buckets of ice water! Darn pirates!! Our captain said we won but our soaked clothes made me wonder!

The short trip out to the gulf was met with a pod of playful dolphins. The captain stops the boat and everyone is invited to take as many pictures as their hearts can handle. Although we were soon amongst as many as three pods, each with about 3-7 dolphins! They looked a little bored so the captain said, "Lets see if they'll play." He set the boat up to make a huge wake behind us and much to my surprise they followed! I lived in Florida for 20 years, family had boats, and I had never seen one play in a wake outside of movies. The pod of 6 were jumping high and flipping out of the water in the wake only a few feet to our side just for the pure fun of it! It was truly a magical experience!

The fun wasn't over yet. The Sea Dragon is equipped with a fake cannon, being our "rivals" the Sea Screamer couldn't leave home without its own! So of course we, once again, sneak behind the sea dragon and set our cannons off which started an authentic 1800's cannon fight!

Next it was off to tour the beach life and condos in a bit of an unusual way. The Sea Screamer pointed its nose towards shore and came within 2-300 feet. The captain yells at some kids on the beach with his intercom, "alright kids, when I fire this cannon, I want you to catch it!" He fired and 5 kids looking at us holding hands fell flat on their butts from the shockwave and the noise cracked all the way down the beach. I'm not sure if that was staged but it was funny and quite unexpected! The next condo we faced was a "U" shape. The captain told the kids, "now listen closely, there is a guy at the top of this condo that has a horn similar to mine. If he's up there, when I blow mine, he'll blow his twice." And sure enough there were two huge honks after the Sea screamer blew its. Obviously the shape of the condo is what does that but it'll make a believer out of any kid! He also set off the cannon again which made a CRACK that'll make you go slightly deaf for about 2 seconds. The glass in all the condos is an excellent sound reflector.

After a little bit more fun with the cannons and tourists on the beach. The boat was stopped to take in an excellent view of a perfect Panama City Beach sunset. It was a great opportunity for pictures with family or a close loved one.

During the ride back towards the dock, all the passengers including kids were given the chance to drive the boat with the watchful captain beside them. I of course didn't turn up the opportunity. Although it was large, the Sea Screamer responded gently to its commands even by the littlest of hands.

We came back just as the civil twilight was fading.

Although I spent most of my life in Florida, I can still find things to do and see that create new memories when I visit.

Attachments

• P1040355.jpg
    P1040355.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 34
  • P1040380.jpg
    P1040380.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 20
  • P1040384.jpg
    P1040384.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 19
  • P1040388.jpg
    P1040388.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 16
  • P1040392.jpg
    P1040392.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 23
  • P1040397.jpg
    P1040397.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 16
  • P1040419.jpg
    P1040419.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 12
  • sea screamer.JPG
    sea screamer.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Nice pics & good write-up, Tristan. We just got back from Outer Banks, NC, where the atmosphere is more laid back for us older folks, but the beaches are fantastic. Stayed in Kill Devil Hills, but took the plane to Ocracoke and http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/member.php?u=293 ate oysters at Howards Pub (yeah, that was me with the pink lemonade - she had a beer...). Then stepped over to the pristine beach beside the runway and vegged for an hour. That whole area is great for flying.

That sounds like a fun trip, Tristan! Thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks for sharing, Tristan. I think my favorite things to do is just
vegetate on one of the beaches down there. Of the 3 days I spent
in Miami a couple weeks ago, we went to the beach 2 of them.

Kill Devil Hills is a nice place too. I went there for the 2003 Centennial of flight celebration. We ended up renting a nice little beach house complete with view and neat interior beach decor. Although the wright bros' replica didn't fly, I went to Kitty Hawk Kites and took a hanggliding lesson. It was tons of fun.

Ahh, surf, sand, and tan. There is nothing quite like the beauty of turquoise water whether you're swimming in it amongst the marine wildlife or flying above it with the barrier of land and sea as far as the eyes can see.

Every time I've been to Florida (around 10 times or so, Panhandle, Daytona, Marco, St Pete) the water is dirt colored, and I couldn't see more than 6" into it.

They saw you coming Ed.

It's usually clear except after a good storm.

Kill Devil Hills is a nice place too. I went there for the 2003 Centennial of flight celebration. We ended up renting a nice little beach house complete with view and neat interior beach decor. Although the wright bros' replica didn't fly, I went to Kitty Hawk Kites and took a hanggliding lesson. It was tons of fun.

We attempted to rent a beach house but the prices were too high compared to a hotel room. So we roughed it at the Ramada.

Don't know if I would hangglide. I saw many folks para-sailing when we were at Ocracoke. It's interesting how they assemble the sail, then walk it to the water all the while keeping it aloft.

Every time I've been to Florida (around 10 times or so, Panhandle, Daytona, Marco, St Pete) the water is dirt colored, and I couldn't see more than 6" into it.

I've been to Marco Island and Naples a lot and I've never seen the
water over there dirty.

I've been to Marco Island and Naples a lot and I've never seen the
water over there dirty.

Must have just been when I was there, but it's certainly nowhere near the clearness of St Thomas/St John.

Back