Weed Airport

CaptLabrador

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Adam
Anyone ever been to this little airport in N. CA. Nice place and you cant beat the view!

Attachments

• Weed aiport.jpg
    Weed aiport.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 91
I haven't been there forever. But, I did fly over it a few months ago.

The town is on I-5 north of Mt. Shasta and south of Yreka; the airport is O46 ...

... but it's been a running joke for decades. :D

grupthinklivec5c02cefc6d6a45204c682be3e1b3302

(In truth it was named around the turn of the 20th Century for a county supervisor and state senator, Abner Weed. Really.)

Last edited:
A friend of mine flew into there. He heard rumors of a crackhead that lives nearby who is suspected of pilfering airplanes tied down overnight.

A friend of mine flew into there. He heard rumors of a crackhead that lives nearby who is suspected of pilfering airplanes tied down overnight.

Q: What's the difference between a crackhead living by an airport, and a tweaker living by an airport?

A: A crackhead will steal stuff from your airplane and bounce. A tweaker will steal stuff from your airplane, but stay there and help you look for it.

-Rich

The town is on I-5 north of Mt. Shasta and south of Yreka; the airport is O46 ...

grupthinklivec5c02cefc6d6a45204c682be3e1b3302

(In truth it was named around the turn of the 20th Century for a county supervisor and state senator, Abner Weed. Really.)

BAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl:
Thats the best picture. But yeah, ive made the joke that Ive flown into weed way too many times since then.

I stopped there once on a flight from Seattle to Orlando in an ercoupe! I have an almost identical photo of the ercoupe! Is a gorgeous view.

Yup. The other vanload of band members stole the city limit sign on the way back from UW. 25 years ago. Those things seem a lot bigger hanging in the band lounge than they do by the roadside.

Fun airport to go into and typically cheap gas...There is also some good snow skiing at Mt. Shasta..

When I have considered using Weed Airport, I found out that the rental car company charges extra to leave a car there, and they don't at Montague-Yreka.

Too bad almost all the Cali "go fly america" airports are already claimed. This sounds like a great one.

Too bad almost all the Cali "go fly america" airports are already claimed. This sounds like a great one.

Its a good one, if you're in a 152 like me or a 172 its about 8 hours there and back, but Redding has a really nice jet center thats a good pull over and stretch spot. From there its another hour or so.

Its a good one, if you're in a 152 like me or a 172 its about 8 hours there and back, but Redding has a really nice jet center thats a good pull over and stretch spot. From there its another hour or so.

Um then no. I can barely afford 1.0 - 2.0 Hobbs when I fly. 8 hours round trip is way too far.

To date my longest XC was roughly 3 hours each way.

Actually, Weed and several other nearby towns (like Shasta City) are very nice places to visit.

I stayed there for a week once, for a family reunion.

I'm sure they're lovely places. Just a joke, sir. Just a joke.

Back