Web Trak

cbmontgo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cbmontgo
I just read something in the local paper this morning called "Web Trak", where people can track aircraft and register noise complaints against them at my home airport (APA) and other Denver area airports. Some highlights of this are as follows:

"All aircraft on the map are color coded. This makes identifying which airport the plane is heading to or coming from much easier. A resident can place his/her home on the map by clicking on “address lookup.” This allows the user to determine exactly how far an aircraft was from a home. By clicking on a specific plane, residents can get additional information about an individual aircraft, such as flight identification, aircraft type, origin, destination, height and speed."

"WebTrak is now the site you will use for filing online noise complaints. Click on the “Investigate” tab and then click the “Show Complaint Form.“ You do not have to identify a flight to register a complaint."

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
I am sure the Mrs. Kravitz types love this.

Personally I love airport noise, but I know not all do. What annoys me is when people move into an area where there is an airport and then complain about an airport. :rolleyes: They just did not do their homework.

These types of web site just cater to those types. The harm they can do is that the Mrs. Kravitz types get armed with more information and stats that they can blow out of proportion.

Personally I love airport noise, but I know not all do. What annoys me is when people move into an area where there is an airport and then complain about an airport.

I am the same way! I can't stand when people move next to an airport and then complain about the noise.

I did move under the flight paths of the DFW International airport once, for 2 months during an internship. At first, I wasnt thrilled, but I honestly got used to it. Its loud enough where, if you are outside talking on a cell phone and a plane goes over, you can't hear a thing on the phone, but, I didnt even notice it after a while (at least while inside).

I spent 11 1/2 years on the local planning board. It amazed me that people never took the time to figure out what the zoning in their area was until someone wanted to build something there. We once had an Oil Company want to build a garage to store their trucks in. The lot was empty and properly zoned. The neighbors came out and felt it was their right to shut them down.
A properly zoned use, for a lot to which taxes have been paid for many years as a commercial property, he has that right to do. You could change the zoning but since he's already filed, he still gets the right.
We've seen the same thing with long term trucking companies, grocery stores, fast food joints, and my personal favorite, gun clubs.
I love airplane noise. The trucking company a block away from my old house never bothered me. And I wouldn't buy near a fast food joint. Where I live, I hear periodic gunfire from target shooting.
That's life. Get over it or get out!

I am sure the Mrs. Kravitz types love this.

Personally I love airport noise, but I know not all do. What annoys me is when people move into an area where there is an airport and then complain about an airport. :rolleyes: They just did not do their homework.

These types of web site just cater to those types. The harm they can do is that the Mrs. Kravitz types get armed with more information and stats that they can blow out of proportion.

Also, please avoid the temptation to bombard the site with fake complaints about nonexistant airplanes. That would dilute the actual report pool and make the website less effective.

What would be the purpose of a complaint if the aircraft is flying at a legal altitude in a densely populated area or otherwise?

Sounds to me like a portal for GA haters.

please avoid the temptation to bombard the site with fake complaints about nonexistant airplanes.

I was going to post that I would like to complain about all the trucks and cars on the road near my house, is that OK?
And maybe about the neighbor with his weedeater. And I hear kids singing as they walk down my sidewalk!
Crickets now! Those infernal crickets!

I was going to post that I would like to complain about all the trucks and cars on the road near my house, is that OK?
And maybe about the neighbor with his weedeater. And I hear kids singing as they walk down my sidewalk!
Crickets now! Those infernal crickets!

I found a Facebook group that was dedicated to noise complaints for the airport I was flying from at the time. I joined it so I could see what the guy was honking on about.

Basically it was a daily log about airplanes not exactly following the guidelines for noise reduction. I asked him when he had moved into his house...and if it was after 1947 then the airport was probably there before he was.

There wasn't much activity on the group wall after that.

My next door neighbor complained about the noise from the toads in our backyard pond...

So what would a site like this tell anyone about most of the traffic flying overhead squawking 1200?

edit: Ok, it says "beacon 1200" and gives a speed and altitude (AGL I assume).

Kind of a cool map actually...

Last edited:
I'd like to complain about the little beeping sounds that my neighbors' car alarms make outside my bedroom window when they open them in the morning. :D

Back