Web Page Help

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
o I'm a purdy smart guy when it comes to most stuff.
Here's what I'm looking for. I want to build a web page. Something similar to Tom D's, maybe with a links section and a guestbook.
I'm a comcast subscriber, so I get about 10 megs or so of "free" space to play with. There's a "page biuilder" on their system that defies logic.
I know that there is a "directory" like structure to a webpage. Where photos go in a subdirectory of index.html or some such as that.
Is there, out there in the internet wilderness, a cheap (preferably free) package where one could build such a simple site using a good GUI? I'm basically too lazy/busy to learn HTML coding.
Something where you build the page, preview it offline, then upload it to the server? I'd like to learn SOMETHING about this technology.
Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
Keith

Greebo said:
Quite a few tools exist.

Avoid FrontPage. It is evil.

I like MacroMedia Dreamweaver - and a Graphics Artist I know here swears by HomeSite which is a part of the Dreamweaver studio http://www.macromedia.com/software/studio/

Why is FrontPage evil? It's the one I learned on... really the only thing I know, but I own the first version. Extremely old, I don't know if I could use it any more.

I would just be happy if I could figure out how to put my landing videos on my Comcast webpage, assuming I have the space. I've got a full flaps short field landing and a no flaps landing I made as short as I could that I think makes a neat comparison.

I've also got a kind of bumpy short field landing, but I'm not so anxious to show that one off!

I have found that page building software eats up a lot of my allocated server space. Here's a link to some simple directions on doing html. It's a lot simpler and easier to edit.

http://www.annabella.net/html.html

Front Page is evil because it inserts a lot of html that is just horrible for anything other than IE. All kinds of crap. Of course it might be better these days, but I doubt it. Its a GREAT tool for new web builders, sure - cause its easy - and if your viewers use IE they don't know any different... but HomeSite and other tools out there do pretty good too - a little less automation, a little more knowledge required - but it turns out good HTML.

Macromedia pushes you into Flash, which is extensively used by objectionable advertising. I have a blocker here that allows me to turn flash on and off.

I've used 1stPage by Eversoft for small projects. There is a freeware package of 1stPage.

Joe, like everything M$, Frontpage is full of proprietary calls and extensions and "just doesn't play nicely in the sandbox". I upload videos to my comcast website regularly (see Bell Helos message elsewhere). The way I do it (keep in mind I prefer CLUI - that's Command Line User Interface, over GUI, so there may be easier ways to do this)
run cmd
Code:
Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\myuser>cd desktop

C:\Documents and Settings\myuser\Desktop>dir *.pps
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 48CE-2325

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\myuser\Desktop

03/31/2005  09:05a           1,026,048 bhtithenandnow.pps
               1 File(s)      1,026,048 bytes
               0 Dir(s)   2,883,837,952 bytes free

C:\Documents and Settings\myuser\Desktop>ftp upload.comcast.net
Connected to upload.comcast.net.
220-
220-Welcome to the Comcast High-Speed Internet Personal Web Pages FTP server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
220-You are accessing it from host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
220-at Thu Mar 31 16:32:33 2005 GMT
220-
220-This is the "Access from Anywhere" PWP FTP server, and is available
220-from the general internet.
220-
220-To access PWP FTP Server you can also use an SSL enabled FTP client.
220-A list of such clients can be found at:
220-
220-   http://home.comcast.net/ftp_anywhere.html
220-
220-For more tips on how to configure your FTP or Web Publishing
220-software to work with Personal Web Pages, please follow
220-the instructions on these web pages:
220-
220-   http://help.comcast.net
220-
220-                   ****IMPORTANT****
220-
220-Any access to and use of this FTP server, authorized or
220-unauthorized, is governed by and constitutes your acceptance of
220-the terms and conditions imposed on the following web page:
220-
220-   http://commcenter.comcast.net/terms/index.jsp
220-
220-Use your E-mail Username at the login prompt (the portion before the "@").
220-Use your E-mail Password at the password prompt.
220-
220-
220 PWPFTPD 2.02 (6feb2002) Server (Comcast High-Speed Internet Personal Web Pages FTP server) [204.127.198.23]
User (upload.comcast.net:(none)): mycomcastusername
331 Password required for mycomcastusername.
Password:
230 User mycomcastusername logged in.
ftp> cd wsb/media
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> bin
200 Type set to I.
ftp> put bhtithenandnow.pps
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for bhtithenandnow.pps.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 1026048 bytes sent in 35.82Seconds 28.64Kbytes/sec.
ftp> pwd
257 "/wsb/media" is current directory.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
group
bhtithenandnow.pps
226-Transfer complete.
226 Quotas on: using 10130317 of 26214400 bytes
ftp: 107 bytes received in 0.51Seconds 0.21Kbytes/sec.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

C:\Documents and Settings\myuser\Desktop>

The file is now available at http://home.comcast.net/~gregkainz/wsb/media/bhtithenandnow.pps
Substitute your own addresses for mine above and there ya' go...

wsuffa said:
Macromedia pushes you into Flash, which is extensively used by objectionable advertising. I have a blocker here that allows me to turn flash on and off.

I've used 1stPage by Eversoft for small projects. There is a freeware package of 1stPage.
MX Studio is flash oriented, yes, but HomeSite is just plain HTML building, as I understand it. :)

I've had a couple of sites hosted by Yahoo and their software for building a site is dirt simple. Can't say how efficient the code is (not an HTML programmer), but it does work well for me.

gkainz said:
snip

The file is now available at http://home.comcast.net/~gregkainz/wsb/media/bhtithenandnow.pps
Substitute your own addresses for mine above and there ya' go...

Thanks, Greg!!

I think I will have to take my site down and start over. I used the Web Site Builder thing Comcast offers, and it appears to pretty heavily limit what can be added. I can't even figure out how to add pages using it. I certainly couldn't get it to admit I wanted to upload a video. It seems to be a template, and forces you to stick to it pretty heavily. Or I'm being silly, and missing something painfully obvious. :)

It is very nice for throwing up a nice looking web page quickly and easily, and good for non-pros like me, but I want to be able to do more with my site than it appears it will let me. I'll start over, and exercise skills I haven't used in years. Then I'll be able to use the code you so kindly showed me. That should be a pleasing hobby in the mornings when I'm seeking a break from studying IFR stuff. :)

Your assessment of comcast's building tools is correct...very basic. But, if you want to provide links here and at AOPA webboard to your videos, you can use the example above to park the files on comcast and link to them from elsewhere with your website as it stands right now - no changes. The comcast site will provide upload functionality, but I chafe at the captive environment.

My site was built and published with Cute Site builder. Very easy to use, has drag and drop photo editor, plan language input, and a very good templet to follow, with out knowing a thing about HTML

drag, drop, click = web page.

Back