Web fundraising for an airport

tree96

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
tree96
Does anyone have any idea if an airport or pilots group has used a website like Kickstarter or Go Fund Me to raise funds to match FAA grants? Long story short our county commissioners want rid of the airport(http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70187) and have tasked the pilots with coming up with the match needed for FAA funds. We have missed out on close to $1million in funding because of their nonsense. The local pilots association has presented the idea of an assessment levied on box and t hangar tenants, as well as tie down tenants, but this May not be enough to cover future obligations for the matches. There is also some grumbling among the tenants as well. So looking for ways to raise money and avoid a ****e storm and keep the airport from closing. The projects that need funding are critical to the future of the airport.

What says you guys?

So are they backing out again on cutting down the trees? Are they (again) not allocating hangar rent money to be spent at the airport? Is the amount needed still $26,000 or has it grown?

Sounds like tonight's meeting was a doozy . . . . :-(

I know Tangier VA (TGI) did everything from fundraisers, bake sales, etc. to get their local match. In the end, a $10 landing fee goes towards repaying the bond. In this case, the airport had no tenants to collect revenue from.

Can an airport do kick-starter campaigns? Sure, but it's difficult to raise the kind of cash necessary. Assuming the state picks up half of the local match, you're still talking $50k on a $1m AIP project.

So are they backing out again on cutting down the trees? Are they (again) not allocating hangar rent money to be spent at the airport? Is the amount needed still $26,000 or has it grown?

Sounds like tonight's meeting was a doozy . . . . :-(

No they didn't back out, just the usual we are going to do nothing. Tonight's meet g was a wash, no one from the advisory board was there, and only 7 members:(. They did ask for a statement on the airport account but that was 3-4 meetings ago and we haven't head back. Basically nothing has changed since you left, surprise. The feeling I get is the assessments are going to cause even more complaining etc.

Back