Weathervaning (in the air)

Yup, very, very poor choice of words, in my opinion.

I don't think so. The words used, have to do with oncoming airflow, which just like a weathervane....... will align the nose of the aircraft with the oncoming airflow...........which of course, may not be the direction of wind. The description works for me.

L.Adamson

I don't think so. The words used, have to do with oncoming airflow, which just like a weathervane....... will align the nose of the aircraft with the oncoming airflow...........which of course, may not be the direction of wind. The description works for me.

L.Adamson

I agree, weathervaning is what is occurring there. When the airplane is deflected from a neutral condition in which thrust and drag are aligned along the direction of flight, that deflection causes a force couple between thrust and drag that rotates the aircraft back in line with the airflow. That rotation is called weathervaning.

The important point re Jay's orginal question being "deflected from a neutral condition in which thrust and drag are aligned along the direction of flight". Simply flying along at any given direction in a moving air mass, in and of itself, produces no such misalignment, no such force couple, no such tendency to "weathervane" (if in this case we mean turn in the cardinal direction or heading the wind is coming from with no regard to relative wind, the wind that actually causes weathervaning).

Last edited:
So I guess the short answer is that an aircraft weathervanes into the relative wind, not into the wind as perceived from the ground.

So now we are in agreement?

If by that you mean that you understand the concept now that the direction of the wind over the ground is not the issue, then sure, we are in agreement

I'm sure I said relative wind at some point. If not I know I thought it....you didnt know :rofl:

Back