Weatherstripping

Superhawk

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Superhawk
Hello everyone, I’m replacing the window weatherstripping on my c-172.
One supplier has a kit, but has a few one star reviews.
Any leads you may have would be appreciated. I like to do things once. Not cheap out and have to do again.
Thank you.

(((Wishes someone would come to the DFW area and strip away this gloomy weather. Not conducive to flying or bunker hunkering)))

Go to your local airplane parts store (Home Depot, Lowe’s) and see if they have any stick on foam weather strip that looks like it might work. A whole lot cheaper and if it doesn’t work, you aren’t out that much.

Go to your local airplane parts store (Home Depot, Lowe’s) and see if they have any stick on foam weather strip that looks like it might work. A whole lot cheaper and if it doesn’t work, you aren’t out that much.
Felt works better.

I purchased the "official" weatherstripping, the right glue, and spent about $150 for everything to arrive. My mechanic wound up tearing it all off afterward and using weatherstripping from the local auto parts store that cost $19.

You should absolutely purchase what you feel most comfortable with but I've made my last purchase of expensive weather seal.

I purchased the "official" weatherstripping, the right glue, and spent about $150 for everything to arrive. My mechanic wound up tearing it all off afterward and using weatherstripping from the local auto parts store that cost $19.

You should absolutely purchase what you feel most comfortable with but I've made my last purchase of expensive weather seal.
LMAO. Funny how that works.

Your local aviation big box store has some EPDM rubber stuff for the actual seal that works great for about $8. The metal reinforced rubber edge trim for the window sill edge is from brown aircraft supply, but you still need the other stuff too.

@thomasdr72, thank you, I ordered the seals from aircraftdoorseals today. I appreciate the advice.
All I wanted to do was replace the hinge pins, they were showing signs of rust and corrosion.
Being detail obsessed, it turned into a full refurbishing of both doors.
Almost complete once the seals show up.

@thomasdr72, thank you, I ordered the seals from aircraftdoorseals today. I appreciate the advice.
All I wanted to do was replace the hinge pins, they were showing signs of rust and corrosion.
Being detail obsessed, it turned into a full refurbishing of both doors.
Almost complete once the seals show up.

Yep, scope creep is a real thing for sure!

Back