Weather Website Question

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
Weather Underground had a US map which depicted current weather conditions at all (most?) of the airports in the US with weather reporting stations. IIRC, it was color coded for low IFR, IFR, MVFR, and VFR. You could largely track passage of weather systems using the page.

Anyway, that page is gone and I haven't found a replacement.

Is anyone aware of a similar page?

Thanks!

Weather Underground had a US map which depicted current weather conditions at all (most?) of the airports in the US with weather reporting stations. IIRC, it was color coded for low IFR, IFR, MVFR, and VFR. You could largely track passage of weather systems using the page.

Anyway, that page is gone and I haven't found a replacement.

Is anyone aware of a similar page?

Thanks!
https://skyvector.com/
http://vfrmap.com/

Not as pretty as what was on Wunderground, but plenty functional. Thank you.
Weather Underground has pretty much destroyed their site. It is not nearly as useful as it used to be. That's the result of being acquired by weather.com

Weather Underground has pretty much destroyed their site. It is not nearly as useful as it used to be. That's the result of being acquired by weather.com

I live almost within walking distance of whatever the Weather Channel is called today. They have had a lot of layoffs over the last few years. Apparently, going with much more expensive programming options (various reality/weather/drama shows) isn't/wasn't quite as profitable as just...wait for it... showing the weather. They are retooling now, but I have no idea how that's gonna turn out. Indeed, Wunderground, was a casualty of this process...

I agree, sitting around watching the weather channel isn’t what it used to be, Weather is everywhere now.

I live almost within walking distance of whatever the Weather Channel is called today. They have had a lot of layoffs over the last few years. Apparently, going with much more expensive programming options (various reality/weather/drama shows) isn't/wasn't quite as profitable as just...wait for it... showing the weather. They are retooling now, but I have no idea how that's gonna turn out. Indeed, Wunderground, was a casualty of this process...
There's also the fact that many companies buy competitors out to shut them down. Pretty common in the Internet era - Google is a master at doing that.

Of course, IBM bought the digital assets of Weather (including Wunderground), and really has driven it into the ground as consumer-facing stuff is not what they do (or what they know how to do...). This but one of any number of things that IMB has not done well in recent years, and their stock price show that.

I use the Aviation Weather Center. They have shifted to a graphical depiction of the weather forecast. To add value, there is a time slider so you can see predicted weather in your area of interest (or all across the country) by hour. There are depictions that show VFR versus IFR weather, cloud ceiling and base height, and winds at various elevations can be chosen. I find it very useful! https://aviationweather.gov/gfa

I like Weathermeister.com. Has a ton of info at quick access and a map as you described. There is a small ($49/yr) subscription. Well worth it if you fly often.

Back