Weather over phone

since 877-ANY-AWOS failed, I would suggest expanding to do more, assuming you're trying to make money. If you're trying to do something out of the kindness of your heart for pilots, with no expectation of profit, then hell yeah!

Wait! We didn't fail! We're still here (I run anyAWOS). We found we could not sell advertising to the aviation community and the patrons didn't respond to the ads, so we went to a subscription system to cover costs. We now allow any number of AWOS's per call and have added voiced TAFs and 7 day forecasts. I don't think you can get a TAF read to you anywhere, even at FSS, except on our system.

Wait! We didn't fail! We're still here (I run anyAWOS). We found we could not sell advertising to the aviation community and the patrons didn't respond to the ads, so we went to a subscription system to cover costs. We now allow any number of AWOS's per call and have added voiced TAFs and 7 day forecasts. I don't think you can get a TAF read to you anywhere, even at FSS, except on our system.
Flight Service won't read a terminal area forecast to you? What? I haven't called Lockheed in awhile..but I'm pretty sure you're very wrong.

Lockheed Martin Flight Services will essentially provide you with the terminal forecasts for departure, destination and alternate airports as well as airports along your route. Is that considered "reading a TAF to you?" Put it this way, they will provide you with the forecast as in, "after 3 pm local time, expect showers in the vicinity through 6 pm..." likely taken from the coded TAF.
I see. I'm sure if you asked them to specifically read you a TAF they probably would. Guess I've never tried.

I see. I'm sure if you asked them to specifically read you a TAF they probably would. Guess I've never tried.

On my Droid, I have Touchdown for Exchange...I can set up a rule to have it "read" any e-mail I like.

Send e-mail to wx@flightaware.com and put the ID of the airport, and it will read the METAR and TAF to me.

While not specifally TAF, I still like www.jesseweather.com on a blackberry (or anything with a web viewer). I see what the weather is now and also the trend at a glance.

While not specifally TAF, I still like www.jesseweather.com on a blackberry (or anything with a web viewer). I see what the weather is now and also the trend at a glance.
Thanks Jack. It's worked amazingly well considering all the data it's constantly importing. I had to do one bug fix around new years but that's about it.

I think there is one ceiling issue Tony found..but I can't remember what it is anymore...wouldn't mind knowing so I can fix it.

I'm thinking about re-branding JesseWeather to a better name followed by bringing some of it to iPhone or Android.

Wait! We didn't fail! We're still here (I run anyAWOS). We found we could not sell advertising to the aviation community and the patrons didn't respond to the ads, so we went to a subscription system to cover costs.

I used to use Any AWOS all the time. In this day and age of the iPhone, it makes no sense to pay for another subscription to another service that I need even less. Does it? :dunno:

I'm thinking about setting up a system to provide weather to pilots for any airport with a metar over the phone. This could expand to other features as time goes on.

I recall someone saying there used to be a company that did this--and they quit? If so--I'm curious how they had you enter in the identifier of the airport. Entering letters with numbers on a phone isn't always very easy.

I'm trying to think of the best way to code this.

There is a mobile version of NOAA/NWS Avaiation weather, the application for which I have installed on my Droid cell phone. You can see the same thing on the web here: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/MOBILE/ZOA2.htm

Dave

There is a mobile version of NOAA/NWS Avaiation weather, the application for which I have installed on my Droid cell phone. You can see the same thing on the web here: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/MOBILE/ZOA2.htm

Dave
My post was over 3 years ago. I never built it.

Well actually I did. I had an asterisk SIP setup and some backend logic to read out METARS but then I dropped the idea as I didn't think it would make any money.

Back