Weather no-go's

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
I've cancelled twice in the past week due to concerns about the weather forecast and lack of flexibility in my schedule. At both times I wondered if I was being too cautious and too "chicken" to push the envelope, however both times I believe in retrospect I made the right decision.

Last weekend (Easter) I was scheduled to fly to Canada on Friday and return Monday (had to return Monday - no flexibility). Driving up I went through lake effect snow from Gary, IN, to Benton Harbour, Mich, then blue skys the rest of the way. I kept thinking to myself that I could have got on top of that and been okay. Saturday and Sunday were blue skies. Woke up Monday morning to find ground temp of 32 (according to car thermometer), a mist/fog like condition with low visibility and a layer of frost/ice on the the black asphalt of the driveway. This persisted for about 200 miles of the drive back but the temp did gradually warm. I think I would have gathered ice on the take off until I could get above, which would not have been soon given I'd be under Lester Pearson Int'l for a while. I kept thinking I was glad I drove.

Wednesday I had to go to Evansville, IN, for meetings and planned to fly myself. I got up at 4:00am to check weather (I had to be off by 6:00am to make my 9:00am meeting). 20% chance of TS between 1:00pm-4:00pm at DPA(that's okay because I wouldn't be leaving until around 5:00pm so I wouldn't be arriving until 6:30-7:00) -- whoa, what's this -- an airmet regarding potential tornadic strength wind shear for late afternoon/evening -- discomfort level just elevated significantly. Sat there wondering what to do and decided that flying was supposed to be fun and that if I was going to worry/stress about it then it wasn't. Booked a commercial flight by cell phone on my way to ORD at 5:30am. Long story shortened, I ended up spending the night in Evansville as even my regional jet was cancelled due to the weather.

Moral? - I'm going to keep listening to my little voices and not be afraid to make a no-go decision unless I have sufficient flexibility in my schedule to work around things.

The saying goes, "There are Old Pilots, and there are Bold Pilots, but there aren't any Old, Bold Pilots."

You have chosen...wisely. :)

bstratt said:
At both times I wondered if I was being too cautious and too "chicken" to push the envelope, however both times I believe in retrospect I made the right decision.
This is good decision making.

I think we've all been there, and I can think of many flights I've canceled and driven, only to kick myself because the weather wasn't as bad as forecast. And many I've canceled and driven, only to be relieved that the weather was as bad/worse than forecast. And a fortunate few in which I wondered what in the world I was thinking by taking off into the teeth of whatever it was.

A great decision;

As on "older pilot" I have many times sat on the ground waiting and waiting. I do not regret my decision to wait. There is always another day to fly.

John J

I just cancelled my rental car in Venice, FL while sitting in KY looking out the window at rain and 40 degree temps. The Wx is flyable, but the plane isn't. Or, I should say, may not be. I have a pesky oil leak on the right engine that got worse on a trip last week from Dallas. The mechanics worked on it yesterday and while they know it's coming from the area around remote oil filter and having everything apart and put back together with new seals, it still leaks. Now I'm concerned that it may be a fitting that's cracked on the outlet side of the filter. If that's the case, it wouldn't take long to pump the engine dry. So, here I sit.

I don't cancel many trips, but it happens. While I regret no being able to make the trip (with terrific tail winds today) I won't second guess my decision. I hope the new fitting gets here early next week.

Barry,

It's always better to cancel and regret it on the ground than to go and regret it in the air.

Yesterday we had 3/4" hail and about 1.5" of precip all in about 10 minutes (hail shaft). Then we had multiple MVAs as driver slid around on the ice.

"Not a fit night out for man nor beast".

Back