Weather minimums for flight instruction

Daz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Daz
Just started CFI training and was reflecting back on some of the weather that my primary CFI took me up in for my first 20 hours. Curious, what minimums do you CFIs use for new students? Does that change once they solo or get more experience?

Daz

If I'm with the student it depends what we are working on that day. as long as we can maintain VFR we are going. gives them a good idea of what 3 miles of vis is. Most don't like how little that it seems to be. Solo endorsements for my students are usually 5 or 7 miles vis, crosswind based on what they've demonstrated they can handle, and a 3000' ceiling. Solo XC I'll bump to 5000' to be safe.

Whatever is appropriate for the student's experience level and the lesson's objectives. Poor visibility would be a bad day to try to reinforce attitude flying on Lesson 2, but would be a good day to practice hood work and/or radio navigation. High winds aren't desirable when focusing on landing practice for the first time, but can be a good learning experience for later on (or early on when the instructor is doing most of the landing anyway).

Back