Weather knowledge advice

Stets66

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stets656
So I’m having some issues with understanding weather theory, specifically pressure systems, air masses, and fronts. For example, I’m having some issues with understanding why low pressure systems rotate counterclockwise, I know it’s due to the cortisol is effect but not exactly sure how it all ties together. Anybody have some insight or good videos/references I could watch?

Not sure that knowing why they spin that way is as important as just knowing they do and how that can affect things.

So I’m having some issues with understanding weather theory, specifically pressure systems, air masses, and fronts. For example, I’m having some issues with understanding why low pressure systems rotate counterclockwise, I know it’s due to the cortisol is effect but not exactly sure how it all ties together. Anybody have some insight or good videos/references I could watch?

Air moves from high to low pressure. In the northern hemisphere due to the coriolis the air gets deflected to the right. So draw an L in the center of a piece of paper. From the edges draw a line straight towards the L. As you do curve the line to the right. Do that all the way around the L. See how all the lines go counterclockwise around the L. There's your low pressure rotation.

Do the opposite with an H in the center. Draw lines from the H out to the edges and curve them to the right. There's your clockwise High pressure system.

Let’s make this real simple. Lows are rising air, highs are descending. Now take the cap on you soda bottle and loosen the cap.. you just observed a low. Tighten the cap, you just observed a high.

These are worth adding to your library:
  • Advisory Circular 00-06B: Aviation Weather Link
  • Flying the Weather Map, by Richard Collins Link
  • Understanding Flying Weather Link
  • Pilot Weather: From Solo to the Airlines Link

Did you get your weather questions figured out/answered? I was expecting this thread to go quite a bit longer than it has. I kind of agree with the comment, that knowing what they do, is more important than why they do what they do... But, at the same time, I understand the desire to learn more, and because most examples are pretty vague (or at least they seem vague), the confusion it can cause. It may seem like it, but there is no magic involved!

If there is any chance you're going to be at Oshkosh, a friend will be there doing some seminars, answering questions, and trying to correct misconceptions about weather. He has worked with weather for over 40 years, and does a lot of work with the FAA. I believe he will be there representing NOAA, on behalf of the FAA.

Here is a thought: go to your local library and ask for a recommendation for a good introductory meteorology textbook. Weather is a topic well worth understanding, is fundamentally interesting, and more complex than just a few videos.

Here is a thought: go to your local library and ask for a recommendation for a good introductory meteorology textbook. Weather is a topic well worth understanding, is fundamentally interesting, and more complex than just a few videos.
AC 00-06B accomplishes this and it's a free download. Link provided in my prior reply.

AC 00-06B accomplishes this and it's a free download. Link provided in my prior reply.

In my world public libraries have free books to borrow. Also they AREN'T written by the FAA, which makes them an infinitely better read.

In my world public libraries have free books to borrow. Also they AREN'T written by the FAA, which makes them an infinitely better read.
I have a meteorology degree and I've been confused by FAA explanations of meteorology in their docs.

That said if you're studying for a written I guess you'd be better off studying the FAA's confusing jibberish since that's who's testing you.

Back