Weather in Denver has made for interesting training

LoneAspen

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LoneAspen
Winds, thunderstorms, convective activity, etc...

I've been scrubbed more times than I can count over the past few months trying to finish up my training and get ready for a checkride.

Earlier this year, I had six weekends in a row we couldn't go up due to weather and scheduling. It doesn't help I live an hour from Centennial and it's hard for me to get down there during the week, I usually can only fly on weekends.

I sure hope Mother Nature calms down over the next few weeks. I'm starting to think I did something to really tick her off!

Anybody else in Denver area feeling as grounded as I have been lately? Sure seems like an oddly bad spring/summer we've been having so far.

I don't think it's been all that wonderful all along the lee side of the Divide north of you for much of this year so far. When I got in today my airport was -RA BKN006. Everybody got really excited when it went OVC012...then the rain really got going. Again.
For the past few weeks I've only been able to get the Husky up on the occasional early morning, before it starts to sock in and the electrical activity starts. :(

Last edited:
It's not any better down here at COS! Winds, mountain waves, thunderstorms and now the one runway at my airport (KFLY) will be closed for 73 (!) days for re-construction. Our crosswind strip is only 2200 feet long and is perpendicular to the prevailing winds at this time of year. So cheer up! Soon we will be back with snow and ice along with the winds...at least there won't be (maybe) lightning!!

Back