Weather/front question

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
th

This cold/warm wishbone is pretty common where I fly. As the warm front rolls over the existing cold air, you'll get rain/storms along and in front of the N/NE edge of the front. And as the diagram shows, you'll get precip on the west edge of the cold front. I'm assuming that flying inside the wishbone area would have significant turbulence and strong winds, especially along both lines.

If you had to cross this area (E to W or W to E), is there a place to cross that is better than another, or do you just avoid it altogether and fly around it?

Since I'm only a county away from ya Scott, I'll anxiously await the response from the forum weather experts. Sure wish we could have more than about 60 days of sunshine each year in PA. :lol:

A cold front is moving in and it's around a low pressure system. This looks like the start of an occluded front and that's just weather you want to avoid. I'd fly around it, definitely wouldn't want to risk being in an embedded thunderstorm.

A cold front is moving in and it's around a low pressure system. This looks like the start of an occluded front and that's just weather you want to avoid. I'd fly around it, definitely wouldn't want to risk being in an embedded thunderstorm.
Look at you stepping in with your new found knowledge :)

Find another route,thunderstorms will be a major problem.

Look at you stepping in with your new found knowledge :)

Hey, might as well put it to good use! Got to keep my weather knowledge up for all my interviews, and I guess afterwards too if I want to keep pilots safe. :wink2:

Back