weather deviation

JHW

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Wright
last night was one of the few trips in the back of an RJ that I was happy to have not been in my own plane. The short trip from atlanta to peoria was slightly longer than usual

attachment.php

Attachments

• deviation.JPG
    deviation.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 112
I'm surprised they had enough fuel onboard for that slight deviation

Other than about 100 mile deviation to the south of LFK (Lufkin), it looks like they flew the route pretty much as filed (plus a little short cut to the east of Razorback). Fueled it for the 3+ hour flight plan and reserves.

I see plenty of saddles to get through.

I see plenty of saddles to get through.
I've noticed that sometimes ATC will give you and everyone else a large reroute even though you might have been able to pick your way through. They don't want everyone trying to deviate because it would cause chaos.

I've noticed that sometimes ATC will give you and everyone else a large reroute even though you might have been able to pick your way through. They don't want everyone trying to deviate because it would cause chaos.

Just let Ted go through first and give everyone that routing. :D

Just let Ted go through first and give everyone that routing. :D

Actually that's happened before. A Cirrus was behind me going around Charlotte with some storms by about 10 miles. After me getting sick of him asking for updates for a storm that was highly visible, I asked the controller "Is he basically following me?" "Yes." "Ok, just put him behind me and I'll let him know if there's anything bad."

But in the turbine world, I can see where it would be more problematic and makes sense to just give everyone a different route.

Actually that's happened before. A Cirrus was behind me going around Charlotte with some storms by about 10 miles. After me getting sick of him asking for updates for a storm that was highly visible, I asked the controller "Is he basically following me?" "Yes." "Ok, just put him behind me and I'll let him know if there's anything bad."

But in the turbine world, I can see where it would be more problematic and makes sense to just give everyone a different route.

I know, that's why I said follow you. :D

I know, that's why I said follow you. :D

The sad part is the Cirrus probably had better weather detection equipment. In fact, I'm sure of it. All I had were my Mark-II Eyeballs in the 310 at that time.

I guess they were just much better trained in a keen observation of the obvious. "Hey look! There's a storm! I'll fly the other way."

I feel you bud, feel like shouldn't have made it home last night after taking off at KUNV and headed to KBVI... I am still shaken up just because of those white puffy things in the sky....

Back