Weather Charts

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
This is really bothering me. Doing a flight tomorrow to pick up some people from the Mayo Clinic. Check out the 1800z low level chart.

low level chart.JPG

IFR to the east of Rochester and then through western Wisconsin. Ok.

Check out the GFA.

GFA.JPG

Clear skies. How can they be that different? I know the low level is based on NAM. If you take the NAM model in Windy it will also tell you clear skies. Did someone screw up?

Btw, sure hoping the turbulence forecasts are wrong. :eek:

SkewT for KRST looks to me like possible fog in the morning, ground level, burning off by late morning, then clear sky.

The TAF and accompanying discussion for KRST just indicates clear skies without mentioning the possibility of morning fog.

I’d guess two forecasters had different takes on the possibility of the morning fog 18 hours out.

How quaint…someone who thinks that fall weather forecasts in the upper Midwest are anything but guesswork. :)

Here’s hoping that the clear skies prevail. I am part of a Pilots N Paws relay from Connecticut to Oregon and need the pilot two legs before me to make it out of southeast Wisconsin.

How quaint…someone who thinks that fall weather forecasts in the upper Midwest are anything but guesswork. :)

Here’s hoping that the clear skies prevail. I am part of a Pilots N Paws relay from Connecticut to Oregon and need the pilot two legs before me to make it out of southeast Wisconsin.
I've got 7 hours in the air ahead of me. Heading up to Rochester then around the UP to drop them off in Northern MI. Then back home.

SkewT for KRST looks to me like possible fog in the morning, ground level, burning off by late morning, then clear sky.

The TAF and accompanying discussion for KRST just indicates clear skies without mentioning the possibility of morning fog.

I’d guess two forecasters had different takes on the possibility of the morning fog 18 hours out.
I better go look at that SkewT. Going to be a nasty crosswind as it is. You'd think it would blow the fog right out of there.

This is really bothering me. Doing a flight tomorrow to pick up some people from the Mayo Clinic. Check out the 1800z low level chart.

View attachment 101610

IFR to the east of Rochester and then through western Wisconsin. Ok.

Check out the GFA.

View attachment 101611

Clear skies. How can they be that different? I know the low level is based on NAM. If you take the NAM model in Windy it will also tell you clear skies. Did someone screw up?

Btw, sure hoping the turbulence forecasts are wrong. :eek:

What are the gray shaded areas in eastern Iowa on the GFA?

@iamtheari how did the dog run go? I was on that list to help but they had middle help already and I was doing the Angel Flight anyway.

@iamtheari how did the dog run go? I was on that list to help but they had middle help already and I was doing the Angel Flight anyway.
It went well. A little slow today but we got it done. Beautiful weather for the most part. The dog is safe on the ground in Portland. I’ve done a few of these and I almost never meet either the sender or the receiver, I just fly over my fly-over state in the middle of the long relays. :)

I didn’t realize, but probably could have guessed, that you were on an Angel Flight. Did the passengers do okay? I am signed up but haven’t been able to fly an AF mission yet.

It went well. A little slow today but we got it done. Beautiful weather for the most part. The dog is safe on the ground in Portland. I’ve done a few of these and I almost never meet either the sender or the receiver, I just fly over my fly-over state in the middle of the long relays. :)

I didn’t realize, but probably could have guessed, that you were on an Angel Flight. Did the passengers do okay? I am signed up but haven’t been able to fly an AF mission yet.
They did great. Their daughter had surgery on Thursday and was able to go home today. A bit bumpy down low but otherwise a beautiful day. My crosswind landing at Rochester was quite good if I may say so myself.

They did great. Their daughter had surgery on Thursday and was able to go home today. A bit bumpy down low but otherwise a beautiful day. My crosswind landing at Rochester was quite good if I may say so myself.
I had one of my worst RV-14 landings when I picked up the dog, followed by one of my best with her on board. Better than the other way around. It’s good to do it right when you have witnesses. :)

Back