weather caution

JHW

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Wright
A friend of mine owns a piper arrow that he leases. Recently he asked me to run him to an airport about 100 miles away to retrieve the plane and pilot. The pilot was unwilling to return on schedule due to thunderstorms in the forecast, and he needed the plane back because someone else had it booked.

I snapped this phone picture on the way down, it was the same the whole way there and back.

Both aircraft and pilot were (allegedly) instrument qualified, not that it matters on this day.

My friend was falling all over himself to tell the pilot that he made the right decision and any time he’s not comfortable he should stay on the ground. I kept my big mouth shut because we’ve had this debate before.

I’m all for being cautious, but if someone doesn’t think to go outside and look at the sky and question the forecast accuracy, and we reinforce that thinking as correct, how is that person ever going to learn to use a plane for travel?

Attachments

• scary weather.jpg
    scary weather.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 135
So the pilot did fly back with your friend?

dats da culture we gots. bring back bullying, fat shaming, slut shaming, dole shaming, and general you are being a sissy shaming. And maybe, just maybe the empire won't crumble.

So the pilot did fly back with your friend?
beats me. I was feeling a little naseous at the commencement of the lovefest so I hopped in my plane and went home. Didn't even call for a fresh weather briefing. Somehow I made it back safely in spite of my recklessness.

I called for a weather (tfr really) briefing on the way to the airport a few days ago, and she said something like "There's an airmet sierra out for IFR conditions, so I'm required to say 'VFR flight not recommended,' but if you look outside, I'm sure you'll be able to use better judgement." It was a lovely CAVU day :).

beats me. I was feeling a little naseous at the commencement of the lovefest so I hopped in my plane and went home. Didn't even call for a fresh weather briefing. Somehow I made it back safely in spite of my recklessness.

You are such an outlaw renegade. :D I'd love to have some days like the picture you took.

All the best,

I learned that on my cross country trip I just did. We were held up in New Mexico for a few hours contemplating our next leg looking at the radar maps and convective forecast areas between me and my ultimate destination. Precipitation cells looked ominous on the radar. We made the call to head for at least the next airport which was 30 miles away with the option to put down there if it was ugly...once we got up and saw what the radar cells actually were I said to myself...heck, these are noting more than an opportunity to wash my plane!...was made it several more hours with no problem and great visibility.

How green is this pilot? Maybe he needs to go flying w someone more experienced on a typical summer afternoon with a few scattered storms. Just so he knows that if a few do pop up, they are easily seen and avoided. Its easy to be afraid of something you've never seen before.

Last edited:
I am not sure I could criticize a fellow pilot for not being comfortable flying based on not being comfortable with the conditions of the flight. I have cancelled flights even though the conditions were good and CAVU because something just did not feel right that day.

As for weather briefings, I think it is important to look at the entire picture using as much data that is available to make your interpretations. Making a go no go decision based on one piece of data, may invariably lead to a poor decision. In Florida during the late spring, summer, and early fall it is rare that the forecast does not call for scattered thunderstorms. I have flown VFR as well as IFR in such conditions, and it is a matter of knowing your plane, your self, and what is happening outside of the plane.

As for the OP, did you talk to the pilot, and see what his thoughts were. Maybe here is chance to help a fellow pilot become a better pilot.

Scary...

So if the forecast said VFR CAVU, but looking outside there was a squall line in his path would be launch because the forecast said good to go?

If only the weather would do what the forecast says.

Back