Weather Cancels my Dual XC,... but I SOLO"D!!!

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Today is a day I'll never forget. For those that don't read the whole thing,.. here's the synopsis, then I'll have details. No dual XC to Hazelton, overcast and windy, crosswinds at 10 knots at the beginning of the lesson, pattern work, emergency practice,... Wait,.. instructor is getting out,... Oh My,.. it's SOLO Time!! Told to go up once around since I'm doing good, we'll do two more on the next lesson. Here's the vid!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMsCmyibZo0 :goofy:

For those that like reading details,.. here's the story of the day.
I planned this weekend to fly dual XC to Hazelton, and if the weather was good, I would be staying local and working on pattern work and possibly solo. The weather didn't look that good when I got up this morning, so I pretty much thought I would be flying to HZL. I arrived at 9am, and got out my flight plan and Navigation log. Barb would be there at 9:30, and we would discuss the Navigation log and then depart. I needed to finish my ETE and needed winds and conditions, so I called Flight Service for the first time by myself.

Flight service was very helpful, and I told him I was a student and he slowed down a little. Conditions didn't look good at all. Hazelton was foggy with mist, with mountains obscured. Winds were 320 @ 5, but visibility and low ceilings weren't expected to improve until the afternoon. Local conditions were scattered at 1500, and broken to overcast at 4400, similar winds, but 7-10 visibility depending on the reporting station. I knew then we would be staying local, but asked the briefer to continue through so I could do it completely. I finished my flight planning, using my texts and E6B instructions to help me finish so I could still review it with Barb when she arrived.

Another pilot entered the office, and we started talking. He was looking for coffee, and stated he was Hungover and not going to fly today, but was going out for breakfast with some guys. He then proceeded to tell me why he was hungover,... after busting the Presidential TFR for New York yesterday and spending over 4 hrs with authorities,.. he had a rough night. Wow,... I couldn't imagine! Apparently he was making a flight to Morristown NJ, under the class B area of NYC, and didn't get a briefing prior to leaving, only checked DUATs, not filing a flight plan either. He listened to ATIS on the way up, but there was no indication of the TFR. Listened when 10 Miles out, and it was then added, but he had already busted airspace. Tower ended up giving him a number to call when he landed,... the beginning of a long evening. He filed a NASA report, and now we'll see what happens. Hopefully, no suspension, but it will be on his record.

Well, Barb arrived, and we reviewed my flight navigation log and discussed some items. After some tips on planning and a discussion of flight following, she said we'll discuss that more on the next lesson, let's go up and get some flying in the local area in. It was now approaching 10:30, so I preflighted 89060, in case we were going to track a VOR. I was the only one scheduled today, since the Valley Forge Cadets are on spring break.

We departed on Runway 9, winds were crosswind from the left, since they were blowing 350-360 at 10 now, pretty steadily. I climbed out and began the left hand pattern flow, working on the crab heading to compensate for the wind pushing me closer to the runway. Runway 9 has a lot of trees close, and the follow up on the left of the runway. First approach I was a little high, but those trees blocked the wind and I made a nice landing, little flat, but good. Barb really was on me about the centerline lineup and taxi today. Two more times up and around on RY 9 and my landings were good, centerlines were much better, although sometimes just to the left. On departures, I was holding good pitch during climbouts, and she kept looking back to see where I was on the extended runway centerline. I got better after a few reminders. She said I'm flying great, and she's just picking on me for little things, but it will make me better if I get them nailed down now. Fourth time up,.. winds are beginning to shift and it may be better to try over on 27,... coming on Downwind, she pulls the power on me and said emergency landing. I began my setup, watched my altitude, and turned base.... then final.... I was a little low but not to bad. If it was a real emergency, I'd have to land on the grass runway to the right of the paved area, as those trees were really close because I was a little low. She said for me to add a little bit of power to clear, and then take it in. After clearing the trees,... and setting up,... she said "Go Around!" Powered to the firewall, and began my climbout,.... pulled up a little flap,... then the rest. I can see now looking back she was setting me up and testing me to see if I was ready,..

We went around the pattern, but didn't land 9 this time, just continued around for 27. Now I have a headwind when turning base, and I needed a little longer time till I turned final. Setup, nice approach, right wing a little low to keep me on centerline,.. and a nice long flare,.. hold,..hold,... sweek! Great landing, my best ever! Taxing back, Barb asks if I would like to make a trip up on my own,... "uh,... you mean your're getting out?" "Sure, you're doing great,.. lets try for one trip around today, then we'll go in and review, do you have your logbook in here and your student certificate?"

"SURE DO!" I pulled up to the ramp and she got out, signed my book, and I was all alone. I taxied down to the end of 27,.. turned around, and sat there. This was my moment. Checked and double checked everything, made the radio call, and accelerated down the runway. Good on centerline,.. oop,.. little more right rudder,... 60 knots,.. let's go! Began a nice climbout, smooth and steady, on my way to 1000. At 1000 feet, I began a climbing turn, just like we had done before. The C152 felt different, and I had elbow room! Leveled off, turned downwind. I thought about going all the way around the pattern just once before landing, but I didn't know what Barb would think,.. so I decided it's time, would have to eventually. ABeam,.. Carb heat on, Throttle Back 1500, pitch,.. wait,.. watch the airspeed bleed down,.. 10 deg flaps. Funny, it was like she was right beside me anyway by the time I talked myself through everything. Turned Base,... looking good,.. 20 deg flaps. Nice shallow turn to final,.. going well, looking a little low. Added a touch of power, 30 deg flaps,.. good,.. nice and stable, on centerline, crabbed a little to the right. Crossed the road, and pulled the throttle back. Looking good, feeling comfortable, but off to the left of center. Worked my way back to center during the time somewhere, don't remember where though. Flared a little rough at first, but smoothed it out,.. hold,.. hold,... sweek! sweek!,... I'm DOWN! Truely awsome experience!! (Notice the Perma-Grin on my face,.. still there too!)

Taking my wife out to dinner to CELEBRATE!

Attachments

• CongratsSignSM.jpg
    CongratsSignSM.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 31
  • SoloShirt.jpg
    SoloShirt.jpg
    970.4 KB · Views: 41
WAY TO GO ROB! At ILG, from where Adam Z and I departed not long before you soloed the winds were gusting to almost 20 knots. The fact that your instructor was willing to solo you in those winds says alot about her confidence in you.

Nice write-up - and the sign from your family choked me up a bit.
Congratulations pilot.

FANTASTIC NEWS!!! Way to go, Rob. How fabulous to have your family behind you like that, too...

Congratulations! :cheerswine: Looks like you handled that wind well. :yes:

It was fun watching your video and hearing your instructor's comments. She seems like a pretty cool lady. :)

and the sign from your family choked me up a bit.
Yea, me too.

Hey Rob your well on your way. Good job. Lee speaks highly of you. I was there when he got the call from you we flew down to EVY from ILG. It was windy indeed where we were. Keep learning.

Very nicely done, congrats!! Isn't it amazing how it feels like the instructor is sitting right next to you, even though the plane is empty!

Thanks guys for the support, it was definitely a great moment. After flying in heavy winds the past two lessons, especially over to PNE last wednesday, these winds didn't seem bad at all. I"m glad she decided to take me up those last two lessons, as it really got my feet working with my hands in an instictive matter, rather than reaction after the fact.

I'd like to thank the following:

Mike Pocious (UKT) for introducing me to powered flight last spring
Paul Yingling (LOM) for great instruction when I started
Barb Reiss (N10) for the awsome instruction she's giving me now. Great personality, patient, and provides new insight and tips all the time.
Lee Kitson (N10) for helping me out when I have questions and being my AOPA Mentor,... another checkmark on my list!

and of course, my family. My wife has been very supportive, and she's keeping the girls interested by showing them my magazines, letting me take them to the airport, and putting up with me listening to LiveATC, or talking for hours on end about my solo! :)

Congratulations Rob! A day you will remember for a long time! Now the real fun starts. :cheerswine:

Gary

Congratulations, Captain Rob! That poster from your girls brought a tear to my eye... get that sucker framed as well as your shirttail and hang them on a wall somewhere... those things will give you a smile forever.

Welcome to the club!

My God, I've found the "blue" board.

Congrats Rob! They climb like a goat w/o the second body in them, don't they? :D

Next beer is on me!

Back