Weather Anomaly

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
It is Monday morning, 8/8. It has been thundering and raining since early this morning. What is unusual is that the radar shows clockwise rotation and the surface chart shows a big "H" over Arkansas. ASOS at KRUE Russellville says pressure 30.00

What happened to the association of high pressure areas with pleasant weather?

I've heard, read, and watched lots of videos on weather theory.

If you sum it all up... it boils down to plan for the forecast winds. Everything else is a lie. High pressure, low pressure, warm fronts, cold fronts... all hooey.

Feeling the same here; thunder at sunrise. Kinda weird.

I would guess that the low on the OK TX border is funneling gulf moisture up through the ARLATX, which the high is wrapping around clockwise. The humidity and surface temp is causing enough CAPE to overcome the descending air mass to produce storms.

This is from an amateur weather geek. So I could be completely wrong....

I wondered the same thing because a high-pressure system normally pushes colder cleaner air down from the upper atmosphere and thus pushes out any unwanted weather.
However, even high-pressure systems can have small low-pressure trophs that form within their boundaries. Those then suck up weather (and surface moisture) higher into the colder levels and create convective weather with storms and/or heavy rain.
We experience similar phenomena here in Texas, it's what caused the flooding west of Houston a few months ago, 18" in 24 hours, yikes.

But don't take my word for it, I am not a weather expert. Check the surface prog charts, they depict the low-pressure trophs with orange dashed lines.

Back