We Lost the Creator of the Innovator Airplane

I always admire people who design and create their own planes. I know two guys that are doing this now and I’m amazed.

Never heard of his design before but I like it. Must have flown up from Cartersville on a test flight or something. RIP.

Very sad. I have met and talked with several of the Commuter Craft guys over the years, since I work in Cartersville.

They relocated their flight operations to Calhoun some time back. I was at Calhoun yesterday and saw them do one moderate speed taxi test at about 2:30. They made one South to North run on the runway, and accelerated to rotation speed at a relatively low power setting, rotated, then let the nose down and rolled to the North end. I spoke with the groundcrew members who were watching and they indicated they were testing the elevator authority with some additions they had made to the canard tips. The additions were two turned down endplates, which extended 6" below the canard for the full chord of the canard.

After that taxi run, the airplane stayed at the North end of the field, waiting on traffic, and we went into the FBO. When we came back outside 10 minutes later, both the airplane and groundcrew were gone. I don't know if they taxied back to the hangar for a debrief or if the aircraft departed. We departed a little later and didn't see or hear the aircraft again.

Very sad. I have met and talked with several of the Commuter Craft guys over the years, since I work in Cartersville.

They relocated their flight operations to Calhoun some time back. I was at Calhoun yesterday and saw them do one moderate speed taxi test at about 2:30. They made one South to North run on the runway, and accelerated to rotation speed at a relatively low power setting, rotated, then let the nose down and rolled to the North end. I spoke with the groundcrew members who were watching and they indicated they were testing the elevator authority with some additions they had made to the canard tips. The additions were two turned down endplates, which extended 6" below the canard for the full chord of the canard.

After that taxi run, the airplane stayed at the North end of the field, waiting on traffic, and we went into the FBO. When we came back outside 10 minutes later, both the airplane and groundcrew were gone. I don't know if they taxied back to the hangar for a debrief or if the aircraft departed. We departed a little later and didn't see or hear the aircraft again.

Ok. Must be a fairly new operation at Calhoun. I’ve never seen that aircraft when I worked there. Hopefully they’ll press on and continue with kits. Hate to see this kind of thing in a new start up.

Back