We lost an Angel Flight pilot (not on a mission)

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
From our mission coordinator came this sad news: :(

I regret to inform you that Jim Weaver, an AFSC pilot out of San Antonio, died in a plane crash yesterday evening. He was not on an Angel Flight mission. The crash is reported on the FAA website. Jim was our Pilot of the Year for 2004 for the S TX Wing, and had flown more than 5,000 hours. Below is a short news article. Our condolences to the family. I will follow up when I find out more about the familys plans for a memorial service.

Small-plane crash in Atascosa leaves 1 dead, 1 injured

Web Posted: 09/22/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Zeke MacCormack

Express-News Staff Writer

A passer-by saved an injured San Antonio woman from the burning wreckage of a small plane that crashed Wednesday in Atascosa County, but a flight instructor died in the accident, authorities said.

The Department of Public Safety had not notified the instructors next of kin by Wednesday night.

Injured was Taryn Robinson, 22, of San Antonio, who was reported in critical condition at Brooke Army Medical Center with third-degree burns, according to a report by DPS Trooper Lucian Ebrom.

The 2004 Diamond single-engine plane was owned by Flying Monsters Inc. and leased to Stinson Flying School, based at Stinson Municipal Airport in San Antonio, Ebrom said.

Officials said the plane left Stinson at 10:46 a.m. and was flying northeast over Atascosa County when it clipped a power line about 11:30 a.m.

The report indicates the instructor was at the controls when the crash occurred. The plane plummeted to the ground just off FM 476 about a quarter-mile north of Pleasanton.

The craft came to rest on its top, and flames from the wreck sparked a brush fire.

David Soward, the chief deputy of the Atascosa County Sheriffs Department, said Stinson Flying School staff told him the plane carried their instructor and a student. School officials declined comment Wednesday.

An unidentified passer-by pulled Robinson from the plane as flames engulfed it, Soward said.

Flickering lights at the Tractor City store by the crash site led worker Cindy Carter outside, where she saw "a big black ball of smoke and the flames" nearby.

She drove to the scene, but was barred access by emergency responders already there.

"You couldnt even see the plane, you could only see the wheels sticking up through the flames," said Carter, 45. "We immediately thought no one could have survived, that whoever was in there was surely dead."

Firefighters from Pleasanton, Poteet and Jourdanton fought the brush fire, which destroyed about five acres.

Troy Whistman said:
From our mission coordinator came this sad news: :(

I regret to inform you that Jim Weaver, an AFSC pilot out of San Antonio, died in a plane crash yesterday evening. He was not on an Angel Flight mission. The crash is reported on the FAA website. Jim was our Pilot of the Year for 2004 for the S TX Wing, and had flown more than 5,000 hours. Below is a short news article. Our condolences to the family. I will follow up when I find out more about the familys plans for a memorial service.

Small-plane crash in Atascosa leaves 1 dead, 1 injured

Web Posted: 09/22/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Zeke MacCormack

Express-News Staff Writer

A passer-by saved an injured San Antonio woman from the burning wreckage of a small plane that crashed Wednesday in Atascosa County, but a flight instructor died in the accident, authorities said.

The Department of Public Safety had not notified the instructors next of kin by Wednesday night.

Injured was Taryn Robinson, 22, of San Antonio, who was reported in critical condition at Brooke Army Medical Center with third-degree burns, according to a report by DPS Trooper Lucian Ebrom.

The 2004 Diamond single-engine plane was owned by Flying Monsters Inc. and leased to Stinson Flying School, based at Stinson Municipal Airport in San Antonio, Ebrom said.

Officials said the plane left Stinson at 10:46 a.m. and was flying northeast over Atascosa County when it clipped a power line about 11:30 a.m.

The report indicates the instructor was at the controls when the crash occurred. The plane plummeted to the ground just off FM 476 about a quarter-mile north of Pleasanton.

The craft came to rest on its top, and flames from the wreck sparked a brush fire.

David Soward, the chief deputy of the Atascosa County Sheriffs Department, said Stinson Flying School staff told him the plane carried their instructor and a student. School officials declined comment Wednesday.

An unidentified passer-by pulled Robinson from the plane as flames engulfed it, Soward said.

Flickering lights at the Tractor City store by the crash site led worker Cindy Carter outside, where she saw "a big black ball of smoke and the flames" nearby.

She drove to the scene, but was barred access by emergency responders already there.

"You couldnt even see the plane, you could only see the wheels sticking up through the flames," said Carter, 45. "We immediately thought no one could have survived, that whoever was in there was surely dead."

Firefighters from Pleasanton, Poteet and Jourdanton fought the brush fire, which destroyed about five acres.

Very sad.
If the report is true, I wonder why he clipped the power lines ?

Troy,

I saw that in the paper today and didn't get a chance to post it.

Very sad.

The flight school is associated with the main FBO at Stinson. The FBO is the ones that do regular maintenance on my plane - along with the flight school planes. I am hoping that it's not a maintenance related issue... for a number of reasons, a few selfish (like not wanting to get calls from the FAA asking about maintenance on my plane).

I know the Pleasanton area very well, that's the closest public (paved) airport near to Stinson. A fair amount of practice traffic down there. It's below radar coverage, and below radio coverage for SAT, so no flight following available.

The location is quite close to the Pleasanton airport.

bill

Back