We have a number for you to call

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
In SOLID IMC, being vectored for the approach.

Get what I expected " cherokee xxx, turn to xx cleared for the VOR/DME approach, maintain 3000 etc.. please close your flight plan when you land".

Read it back, not a problem. Get established inbound, everything looking good.
Getting really bounced around though.

Next I hear "cherokee xxx, we have a number for you to call, advise when ready to copy"

Mind starts racing, what did I do?
I am inside the FAF so I just tell them to standby, pretty busy right now.
I break out and see the airport, tell them I am ready to copy.

"cherokee xxx, call xxx,xxx-xxxx when on the ground, prefer you use that number to close your flight plan it is our direct line".

Why couldn't he have just said that in the beginning instead of raising my blood pressure 20 points.
Just thought I would share it.

Mark B.

Come on mark, you have some blood pressure points to spare don't you? ;-)

The 1 and only time thus far I have been asked to call a number the controller so politely added "Possible Pilot Deviation" that is where your blood pressure reaches stroke level!!!!

Thank God Boston ATC had the wrong plane when I called but still no one likes the hear those wonderful words do they?

"Roger _____ approach - hey, did you just vector me into all these towers? SHRIEKKKK!!!!!!"

then flip off your transponder, go to radio silence.

They need to keep their blood pressure up too.

Let'sgoflying! said:
"Roger _____ approach - hey, did you just vector me into all these towers? SHRIEKKKK!!!!!!"

Oh man! :rofl:

Let'sgoflying! said:

Which would be followed by: "Cherokee XXX, turn right hdg XXX to hold at NDB XXX until we're ready for you to continue your approach." :)

I heard a different one yesterday. Center gave an airline crew a number to call for the the "Domestic Event Network". This was in the middle of the country and the airplane was in cruise up in the flight levels, not close to any potential targets. From the tail end of the conversation I think the crew had the volume of both radios turned down and missed some calls. This is nothing all that unusual. Planes seem to get temporarily misplaced on occasion, including ours, but I've never heard a request like that. Neither had the crew. Or the controller. I think his supervisor handed him the number.

Mark - no kidding, I would have needed a change of drawers after that. Good thing ya didn't bust.

Everskyward said:
Center gave an airline crew a number to call for the the "Domestic Event Network".

I would have said, "Nah, thanks anyway. I already get the National News Network, the Hollywood Network, the Sports Network. Really, who would want to watch stuff going on in someone's home anyway?"

Let'sgoflying! said:
Really, who would want to watch stuff going on in someone's home anyway?"
Someone must be watching all those reality shows.... :rolleyes:

Back