We dodged a bullet. Big time.

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
Listen to Cap'n Ron when he talks about the Lycoming SB for valve guides.

Our R22 is getting its annual as we speak. When they tried to do a compression test on the No. 1 cylinder, it came up 0. As in nada, nichts, rien, bupkiss. The exhaust valve was stuck open. Inspection revealed the valve guides on both No. 1 and No. 2 cylinders had excessive carbon buildup.

It strikes me that the valve could have stuck in flight rather than during a compression test. Which is not a comforting thought at all :hairraise:

Dave Krall CFII said:
You don't need ALL those cylinders to fly, do you Bob?
Don't know. Don't want to know :rolleyes:

The R22 Beta II has a Lycoming O-360-J2A derated to 145 HP. Maybe the other cylinders could make up for the lost power, I really don't know.

Agreed.

I do the wobble-check as required in the SB. Results have been OK, but it's always better to know.

bill

That's why I never see you guys flying higher than you are willing to fall!

RotaryWingBob said:
Don't know. Don't want to know :rolleyes:

The R22 Beta II has a Lycoming O-360-J2A derated to 145 HP. Maybe the other cylinders could make up for the lost power, I really don't know.

That engine has held fixed wings in level flight to get them back to the airport on 3 jugs, just barely.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3 out of 4 was not enough for a chopper due to their generally increased power requirements. There should be some history on chopper 3 jug scenarios ...or maybe they're all dead?
Sorry.

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:
That's why I never see you guys flying higher than you are willing to fall!
I KNEW there was a reason why I'm uncomfrotable above 1,000 agl. Except for an airplane, of course!

RotaryWingBob said:
I KNEW there was a reason why I'm uncomfrotable above 1,000 agl. Except for an airplane, of course!

My first helo ride, we hired a guy to take us sightseeing near Hamilton Ont. He took us out and found the smallest clearing in a bunch of trees and said watch what this will do, he autorotated into the clearing smooth as silk. I don't remember a lot of the details, it was 25 years ago but I remember the needles split. Pretty risky, I now think, for a guy to do with a stranger and his gal, no way he had an operator's certificate - I just pulled up to an airport where Id seen them...ag helo I think it was.
The next one was with a rancher near here, took me up to his ranch 100miles north. We did not exceed 300'agl the entire trip. Saw a lot of ground detail I normally miss in an airplane. On the way back he stayed in the helo, parked in the grass at the local McDonalds (KVHN) while I ran in and got us burgers!

Finally got to fly one, 5 yrs ago. Pal who 'has access to one' landed in my backyard and I hopped in, we toured the mountains including the wreck of a Cherokee he planted on the side of a ridge in 1963. :hairraise: iI have pics here somewhere. Never really felt like I was in control of the machine!

That is my pitifully small experience with whirlybirds.

I've had the opportunity to do the flying-wing-thing a few times. Usually trying to get to sites that I couldn't get by car (like the top of one of the mountains near SLC).

A bunch of fun, if you ask me. Then again, they were turbine powered.

wsuffa said:
A bunch of fun, if you ask me. Then again, they were turbine powered.
Indeed they are! IMO the connection between pilot and machine is much closer and more direct than in an airplane. It's almost like you don't have to do anything, just think about what you want it to do and it somehow just happens :yes:

We had our sights set on a turbine warbird (OH-6A) but couldn't get it insured (all but one of my partners have less than the 500 helicopter hours the insurance company wanted). :(

Bob. Were the valves stuck when I was flying with you? :D

Didn't see to be, but I thought my engine was fine when I had a cracked cylinder a few years ago. Funny thing, I never noticed it on my engine analyzer.

Back