We build new airports? Conway Arkansas

brian]

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
brian]
Any pireps?

Still amazed it happened.. But happy it did...

It's my understanding that it's not open yet. Maybe soon. Too bad they put it so far out of town in the middle of nowhere. That kind of hinders the usefulness.

I'm told that this accident is what prompted the new airport. The old airport was really handy to town but pretty tight, though I always liked skipping my plane off the top of eastbound I-40 semi trailers while on short final to 26.

It's been years since I've flown into/out of Conway. The old airport always felt a little small - even in the C152 I was flying at the time.

Road in a couple of Falcon Jets in an out of there a lot back in the 90's. Can't imagine operating a jet there...

Can we consider as a "new" airport, and rejoice in the corresponding growth of GenAv that might imply, if its merely replacing an existing airport? One it could be argued was driven from its existing location by encroachment (Tim's link mentions a 1,600 ft displaced threshold)?

I received notice today that the new airport is having a Grand Opening celebration this Friday, Sept. 5, at 1:30pm. Might be a good time to check it our and (probably) get some free food/drink and maybe momentos.

You know what kills me?

I am on the City's list. I leased a hangar. I paid my first rent today. When I walked into the City Hall, I was told everyone was at the airport for the grand opening.

Don't you think I would have like to known about it? Maybe, just maybe, I would have like to have gone. Do you think anyone had the common courtesy to at least email me? After all, I am one of a few that are their first paying customers.

I even talked to the mayors office this week. Not a peep about the festivities. I guess those of us leasing hangars just aren't worthy......

Hey, I told you a couple of days ago. :).

You told me? Say what?

You told me? Say what?

Well, to use the term kind of loosely (see post #5 above from Sept. 2nd).

I agree, though, that a good airport manager like the one we have at our airport, would have made sure all their based customers knew about something like this. I think the manager at Conway is new, though, so probably would appreciate a little patience and understanding until they get their feet on the ground.

Not sure who the manager is over at hot springs, but I'm continually impressed by operations over there. If you are flying a champ or a jet, they are there to help. Good services there as well...

Hoping Conway can get ga up and running BIGGER than before with the new airport. Might have to run over there tomorrow if the weather is nice ...

I think the manager at Conway is new, though, so probably would appreciate a little patience and understanding until they get their feet on the ground.

New to Conway, yes, but not new to the airport managing scene. IIRC he/she was hired away from a S AR airport, El Dorado or some such. So this shouldn't be their first rodeo and since they've been on board for quite a few months now, feet should be firmly planted by now. It ain't rocket surgery.

I didn't see this thread till yesterday. I woulda been there if I had though.....free food and sodas always garners my attention.

The new conway manger is Josh Zylks.... A youngster at 25. We met today when I went out to look at my hangar. He came from El Dorado regional.

Hope to get over there sometime in the next week, need to find a good CFI.

Go to the old airport....nothing is going on at the new one. There are no tenants yet.

If memory serves, there is a flight club over in conway- are they moving to the new airport. I think they had a 150, some 172s and a ctls. Never made it over there though.

I got my license in little Rock... Different vibe. Might try both and decide which environment you like best. North little Rock has a few cfis as well. Again, a different vibe.

Get your ppl and enjoy Arkansas from above! It's Purdy!

Preciate it, I have been looking around LR and Conway, going to look into Russellville tomorrow. I am about 20 miles west of Conway.

Back