Way too many in 365, Goal Failed

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
It official. Today is November 1st. One year ago, I set out to hit every airport in New Mexico within one year. I hate to make excuses, but the last few months pretty much screwed me out of completing the goal. I hit 34 (I posted 33, still haven't posted Las Vegas, NM yet, will do that in a minute).

I still plan on finishing. 57 Airports doesn't sound like a lot, but in the grand scheme of things, it was obviously too much for me. I did, of course, spend time and money I should have used on this on other endeavors, such as Gastons '06 and 6Y9, and the Wings FlyBQ.

No regrets. I will get this done past the deadline. I gotta.

Just got an email today from logshare saying that I am no longer to fly PIC at night. That's the first time since I got my complex sign-off before Gastons '05 I believe. I am also very close to being out of currency for day vfr operations as well. C'est la vie.

It happens. The time comes to where you just have to take a step back from Aviation and get your stuff together. We all go through that. Beleive me. You'll feel good about your choice when you come back to Aviation and are finanically stable enough to fly.

Sometimes the best way to make sure that you will always love flying is to step away from it. Hang in there. Things will get better.

eh youre only out of currency to carry passengers at night nick.
good side effect of this: i still get to read awesome PIREPS of new mexico airports!
keep em coming man.

Nick,

As long as it's been since you've flown, I'd say that if you finish 'em off in three months once you start flying again that you accomplished the goal.

My goal is to make sure every Wisconsin airport is claimed for the ConUS challenge. There are 130 of them. 30 have been claimed (20 or so by me, 10 or so by Scott Migaldi, and 1 or 2 by Pete) and Pete has one targeted as well. So, we're doing pretty well with that so far. I just hope I don't have to be the one to claim MKE. If I go there again, it's gonna be on 12/31/07.

tonycondon said:
eh youre only out of currency to carry passengers at night nick.
And Piper doesn't count as a passenger... or does he. :confused: :D

That's still a very respectable number of airports. More NM airports than I've been to, and I would venture any other NM pilot with the possible exception of the guy who flies Bill Richardson's plane and maybe some aeromedical crews.

It's been helpful to see your reports on some places I might want to visit someday. And perhaps more importantly, the reports on places I now know I DON'T want to visit.

Jon

Oh, heck, you can try again another year. The ones you did get to looked pretty cool. Not your garden variety 5000x75 asphalt runways! Cheers to you.

flyingcheesehead said:
My goal is to make sure every Wisconsin airport is claimed for the ConUS challenge. There are 130 of them. 30 have been claimed (20 or so by me, 10 or so by Scott Migaldi, and 1 or 2 by Pete)

I am not trying to ruin your goal. I am just trying to get all of the airports within 50 miles of me. KORD will be the toughest but I may have a plan.

Nick, through your NM challenge and your CONUS Challenge, you have inspired pilots all across the nation. The 365 days was your personal goal, no one minds except you. You'll get it done.

Richard said:
Nick, through your NM challenge and your CONUS Challenge, you have inspired pilots all across the nation. The 365 days was your personal goal, no one minds except you. You'll get it done.

That is true Richard. The CONUS Challenge has already taken me to a couple of airports I would not have gone to before. I just wish more people were active in it and that we would nto be so far behind schedule. But I gues the idea is to just have fun.

Dude YOU DID NOT FAIL You attempted and WILL succeed. And the money spent on Wings , Gastons and 6Y9 Was well spent. You got to see the Rocky Steps.

All true (especially the Rocky Steps....I Love that Movie!).

I will move on, and I'm glad people enjoyed reading the reports as I did them! Look for more in a while.

smigaldi said:
I am not trying to ruin your goal. I am just trying to get all of the airports within 50 miles of me. KORD will be the toughest but I may have a plan.

Scott, my only goal is to make absolutely sure Wisconsin is completely claimed... Not that it's all claimed by me! :hairraise: I will probably be fairly close to landing at all of them by the end anyway, in 2008 I'll finish 'em off in my logbook. :)

BTW, don't bother with ORD. I need to go in there anyway for a project I'm working on for the Pilotcast. :yes:

I also think it's kind of funny that you're trying to hit every airport within 50nm, while Chip is trying to not hit any within 50nm. :rofl:

Richard said:

Amen. I've found some really cool places. I know for sure I'll be returning to Three Lakes at some point for a fun weekend.

Richard said:

Ditto.

No problem Nick! You'll get-r-done! Anyone who's had Mono / job uncertianins / moved understands what put you behind. When you made the goal you had no idea what you would be facing this year. You made a valiant attempt, so there is nothing wrong with missing the goal.

Missa

Nick it was because of your feature in Flight Training that I found this great site that I now feel like is a home in some ways.

You have made an impression that is felt all over the country to benefit GA - how can that be a gaol failed?

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
All true (especially the Rocky Steps....I Love that Movie!).

I will move on, and I'm glad people enjoyed reading the reports as I did them! Look for more in a while.

Get back to it when you can, Nick....

And the welcome mat will be ready for you here at 5T6!! Give me a "heads up" when you're planning on getting down this way.

Regards,

Mike

Back