Wax/UV protection for Wood/Fabric aircraft

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
While cleaing my Ka-6 the other day, I got to thinking about protecting it from sun and environmental damage. I know that composite, and metal planes should be waxed to protect the finish. What do you do on a wood fabric plane? I assume there are some products available? So what would you suggest?

thanks

Same thing you would do for any painted surface..

Wash with mild soap and water, wax with a good quality auto wax.

the trailer should provide adequate protection. If you are flying the Ka-6 the way it should be flown it will spend only a handful of hours a week in the sun. After derigging in a field and being put in a trailer the airframe and fabric will enjoy the shade.

A thin dope film does not provide sufficient protection of the fabric from the elements, and early deterioration of the fabric may result. Ultraviolet light, which is invisible, combines with oxygen to form an oxidizing agent that attacks organic materials. The ultraviolet rays can be screened by adding pigments to the dope film and by adequately covering the fabric with the dope. Aluminum powder usually is added to two of the dope coats to stop any ultraviolet light from reaching the fabric. Undoped fabric or fabric covering that is not protected by coats of aluminum-pigmented dope should not be exposed to sunlight for long periods.

Adequate protection of the fabric usually is achieved if the dope film hides the weave of the fabric, leaving a smooth surface. This cannot be determined by the number of coats of dope applied, but rather by the dope film thickness. This varies with application technique, temperature, dope consistency, and equipment.

A thin dope film does not provide sufficient protection of the fabric from the elements, and early deterioration of the fabric may result. Ultraviolet light, which is invisible, combines with oxygen to form an oxidizing agent that attacks organic materials. The ultraviolet rays can be screened by adding pigments to the dope film and by adequately covering the fabric with the dope. Aluminum powder usually is added to two of the dope coats to stop any ultraviolet light from reaching the fabric. Undoped fabric or fabric covering that is not protected by coats of aluminum-pigmented dope should not be exposed to sunlight for long periods.

Adequate protection of the fabric usually is achieved if the dope film hides the weave of the fabric, leaving a smooth surface. This cannot be determined by the number of coats of dope applied, but rather by the dope film thickness. This varies with application technique, temperature, dope consistency, and equipment.

Stewart Systems and don't worry about it after that.

Dan

A thin dope film does not provide sufficient protection of the fabric from the elements,

Maybe not, but the 12 coats of silver Dope does. And If you are following the Original Ceconite manual or any method that is FAA approved method for recovering aircraft with a dope system, that is what protects the fabric, not the color coats.

Any other system is NOT Dope.

Stewart Systems and don't worry about it after that.

Dan

There ya go, but to some all fabric is dope.

I have known some FSDO inspectors requiring a ceconite system be punch tested at every annual.

I let them read the instructions in the Maule tester box, it says it is for cotton, no mention of Ceconite.

Back