Wave runners on the Colorado river

jkaduk

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
John Kaduk
I'm interested in flying to someplace along the CO river close to where I can rent a Waverunner or similar watercraft. I figure Laughlin or Lake Havasu might have that. Is this a good time of year for that? I know that it's still warm out there but I hear that the water is cold year round. If anyone has knowledge of this please let me know. I'm not done with summer yet!

jkaduk said:
I'm interested in flying to someplace along the CO river close to where I can rent a Waverunner or similar watercraft. I figure Laughlin or Lake Havasu might have that. Is this a good time of year for that? I know that it's still warm out there but I hear that the water is cold year round. If anyone has knowledge of this please let me know. I'm not done with summer yet!

Wow, Deja Vu all over again. :)

John,

I would suggest Lake Havasu because the water levels in the river go
down in the winter time. Many years ago I went in November and I
wore a dry suit, but I'm a wimp. I don't know if the rental places are
still open but you might try calling the Nautical Inn(928-855-7000) or
the London Bridge Resort (866-331-9231) they might know.

greg

jkaduk said:

John,
Havasu recently (last week) held the world finals for personal watercraft, if that tells you anything. There are plenty of rentals available here, and I happen to know some that might be able to get you a deal. Weather here is almost always more stable than laughlin (windy) and mead (storms).
And of course as an added bonus...I am here :)
Let me know when you plan on coming down this way.

edit add: The water in lake havasu is 80 degrees in the summer. But it does get chilly in the winter. Not as cold as the river however.

Michael

Last edited:
When are you heading out that way John? I'll be flying out to Laughlin the 29th/30th this month. I've got a house being built out there. As far as the winds go, they were calm in the morning and 25kts in the afternoon. This was back in May though and they were right down the runway.

Not trying to sway you from visiting Michael though! :)

AirBaker said:
When are you heading out that way John? I'll be flying out to Laughlin the 29th/30th this month. I've got a house being built out there. As far as the winds go, they were calm in the morning and 25kts in the afternoon. This was back in May though and they were right down the runway.

The winds at Laughlin are ALWAYS from the south, and always blowing. AT least 10 kts, most of the time MUCH higher. You will find this to be the case chris. I have come to memeorize the phrase "expect right downwind 16, traffic in the pattern is a helocopter at 1200 approaching the dam report midfield"
Very nice controllers..but dont get me started on the FBO....GRRRR

Pretty much what we've seen. I haven't had any problems at the FBO myself. But it's not much of an FBO.

AirBaker said:
Pretty much what we've seen. I haven't had any problems at the FBO myself. But it's not much of an FBO.

wait till you want to go somewhere after they are closed. It will cost you 75 bucks to get to your plane. sigh

AirBaker said:

I haven't decided yet but if I do go it would be that weekend.
As far as winds - I've flown a 172 in HI so I know all about winds.

I've never been on Lake Mojave, so we're thinking about renting a patio boat for a booze cruise on that Saturday. If you or anyone else ends up making it, stop by for a margarita! Or a Coke if you're flying. :)

AirBaker said:
I think I saw Michael's Mooney at KIFP friday night...

You did :) It was there all weekend, except for a few hours Saturday am when we flew upto lake mead for breakfast at Temple Bar Marina. Great weekend for flying!

Michael said:
You did :) It was there all weekend, except for a few hours Saturday am when we flew upto lake mead for breakfast at Temple Bar Marina. Great weekend for flying!
Did you spend a dime at IFP? What aprt did you use at Lake Mead and what do you have to say about it?

Richard said:
Did you spend a dime at IFP? What aprt did you use at Lake Mead and what do you have to say about it?

Not a dime at IFP :)
We went to Echo Bay. very pretty coming in over the marina, the runway is well maintained, easy to get in and out of, but i would suggest landing uphill and taking off downhill towards the lake. The airport is 3 miles from the marina and no one answers unicom. So we got out, i called on my cell phone down to the marina to get a shuttle, and was told they dont offer shuttles during off season. So....we took in the awsome views, hoped back in the plane and took off for Temple Bar marina. A short 5 minute flight and we landed uneventfully. Temple bars runway is nice, a little bumpy but i have seen much worse. No danger of prop strikes, just little bumps. They usually have someone who answers unicom at the resturant and will send a shuttle to you, but seeing as how weather was going my way today..something else had to give. So Unicom didnt answer my calls. The walk to this marina is shorter, maybe 1 mile. I started walking down the hill, and noticed a cessna 170 land. a few minutes later a van comes up the drive and asks if we called for a shuttle. I told them i tried, but noone answerd. She apologized and said another pilot had just called, so we hoped in the van, went back upto the airport to pick up the 3 people that just landed, then went down to the marina for a nice quiet relaxing breakfast by the lake. One thing i found out, Temple Bar has cabins for rent, they look very nice and close to the water, I was told during the off season (now) they rent for 40 bucks a night!...Guess where were going next week.
All in all, very pleasant trip to both lake mead airports. Cant complain about runways. Unicom is unicom. the water was as smooth as glass the whole time we were there. just breathtaking.

Back