Wave at Omarama

cwyckham

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
cwyckham
Wow, wow, holy cow!

I had one heck of a glider flight a couple days ago. For those who are unfamiliar with it, Omarama is a world reknowned gliding location just East (downwind) of the highest part of the Southern Alps on New Zealand's south island.

I had allowed 3 days to try to get a flight in as I travelled through, but the conditions were perfect when I drove up to the airfield. I've never seen so many lenticular clouds in my life. I was informed that this was an average day, but we could give it a go.

I took a dual flight in a duo discus (one of the highest performance two seaters available, L/D of about 44:1). We were dropped off of tow over a small ridge at about 3000 MSL or 1500 AGL and scraped our way up on thermals before making a dash for the wave. They always say that the wave is dead smooth, and it really is. Smooth like silk.

I was surprised to find that wave is actually quite challenging to fly, as each hill is setting up its own little wave pattern and they interact in funny ways. However, we managed a 2.3 hour flight near Mt. Cook with a max height of 13,500'. That's certainly a new personal best!

Part of the joy of it that I hadn't anticipated was that the lenticular clouds are just so absolutely beautiful.

I'd never seen a vario (like a VSI) pegged up or down. Now I've seen both, and in quick succession. What a fantastic ride.

Chris

Sure does sound like a lot of fun!
Well as much fun as you can have without and engine that is :)

Wow, wow, holy cow!

I had one heck of a glider flight a couple days ago. For those who are unfamiliar with it, Omarama is a world reknowned gliding location just East (downwind) of the highest part of the Southern Alps on New Zealand's south island.

I had allowed 3 days to try to get a flight in as I travelled through, but the conditions were perfect when I drove up to the airfield. I've never seen so many lenticular clouds in my life. I was informed that this was an average day, but we could give it a go.

I took a dual flight in a duo discus (one of the highest performance two seaters available, L/D of about 44:1). We were dropped off of tow over a small ridge at about 3000 MSL or 1500 AGL and scraped our way up on thermals before making a dash for the wave. They always say that the wave is dead smooth, and it really is. Smooth like silk.

I was surprised to find that wave is actually quite challenging to fly, as each hill is setting up its own little wave pattern and they interact in funny ways. However, we managed a 2.3 hour flight near Mt. Cook with a max height of 13,500'. That's certainly a new personal best!

Part of the joy of it that I hadn't anticipated was that the lenticular clouds are just so absolutely beautiful.

I'd never seen a vario (like a VSI) pegged up or down. Now I've seen both, and in quick succession. What a fantastic ride.

Chris

thats awesome chris! wheres the pictures? did you fly with Gavin Wills or the Club there? either way thats fantastic you lucky dog!

Wow is right! Sounds like an absolute blast! I'd live to fly a glider someday. :):)

Chris, Matt, and I live to fly gliders everyday!

the fun factor is raised to a factor of 10 as soon as you remove that noisy sooty engine. Get that 172 bought by the end of the month and fly out here to the glideathon Jay. You'll learn a lot on the flight out and back and you'll have a ton of fun when you are here.

sounds like a blast! I wish I could remember the name of the person who rode a current the entire length of NZ...

You know, one day, I'm gonna have to try one of these glider things. Can fat people fly gliders?

You know, one day, I'm gonna have to try one of these glider things. Can fat people fly gliders?
:rofl: I just came back from some spin training. After the sign-off, I want to continue with upset recovery training. Jimmy advised me I may want to lose some weight. he say's I'm "just about at the edge of most aerobatic planes" with my being at 235. I suppose I could make a glider feel like a rock.

yes, fat people fly gliders. no they dont fly the itty bitty high performance single seaters, but there are quite a few single seaters and two seaters out there that accommodate large people.

elizabeth - its hard to tell, could be Gavin Wills, he's pretty legendary down there. Fawcett's early attempts at World Altitude record were done in the NZ Wave, its really powerful stuff.

Nick,

Yep. I can anyway. :yes:

http://media.libsyn.com/media/pilotcast/Pilotcast_049_2006.11.05_Kent_Glider.m4v

pilotcast49cimg0625.jpg

Flying at 13,500' near Mt. Cook in a Cessna would have been nice. Getting there from 3000' and 50 km away in a glider makes it oh so sweet.

thats awesome chris! wheres the pictures? did you fly with Gavin Wills or the Club there? either way thats fantastic you lucky dog!

file://\\

The pictures are on my camera. One day, I promise to get them off and post them. The cloud formations were amazing.

I flew with Southern Soaring, another commercial operation that's recently started up at Omarama. I tried to fly with the club for a third the cost, but their glider (also a duo discus) was in the shop with rudder problems. It would have been really nice to pay $135 instead of $420, but it was still well worth it.

sounds like a blast! I wish I could remember the name of the person who rode a current the entire length of NZ...

I don't remember his name, either, but he wrote a book. If we're both thinking of the same guy, he was one of the early pioneers of wave flight and of using wave flight to go long distances. He set a lot of early world distance records in NZ's wave and may have been the first person to break 1000 km. His book is amazing: The Leading Edge.

There are certainly gliders that have wide enough seats and broad enough cg ranges. Intuitively, you'd expect to be at a disadvantage because you'll be heavier, but competition pilots actually use water ballast in strong soaring conditions. The L/D of a glider is fixed, but happens at a faster airspeed if the glider is heavier. In weak conditions, you'll have more trouble staying up, but in strong lift, your "built-in ballast" will allow you to fly farther, faster than bean poles like me! :)

Chris

Back