Water Skiing Cirrus

Yeah, his story is pure BS, he didn't lose depth perception, he was trying to drag his wheels in the water. Just a moron.

Good to see no one was killed or seriously injured. This jerk makes us all look bad (and adds to the unfounded negative rep of Cirrus pilots too).

You can ski a taildragger. Although I don't see myself ever seeing the desire to do it. Why risk it?

Ski a nosedragger? ugh.... Perhaps it was just a mistake.

And I doubt the hour in 44 degree water temp thing. Only if they were wearing life jackets. They probably buzzed a friend on a boat who picked them up after they wrecked, then concocted the story.

I can't believe all of these stupid pilot tricks.

And I doubt the hour in 44 degree water temp thing. Only if they were wearing life jackets. They probably buzzed a friend on a boat who picked them up after they wrecked, then concocted the story.

It is possible but they would have been at risk of death.
timegraph.gif

They were certainly cold. Swimming actually will lead to fast heat loss in these situation and would have made their condition worse.
http://www.hypothermia.org/inwater.htm said:
Swimming increases heat loss (increase by 35-50%) and is not recommended if you are more than one kilometer away from shore, adopt a heat conserving strategy (help or huddle) instead. Consider your circumstances carefully before deciding to swim, is there a favorable current to assist you etc..
That would put them in the death category.

MoronInAnAirplane said:
The pilot and his two passengers exited the aircraft with no injuries, but spent over an hour swimming to shore in the 44-degree water. They were rescued the following morning.

...which just goes to show you, stupid and lucky can travel together.

The investigating officer is a personal friend of mine. The story is true (well, except for the silly excuse for why they crashed.) Large percentage of uh...body fat explain the survival.

The NPS is requiring the insurance company to recover the aircraft (it might have happened already.)

Back