Water landings

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
Well I'm going to be doing some water work tomorrow.

Grabbing my fishing poles, my girl, and my dog and hitting up some new to me lakes in upstate NY.

Anyone have any experience with

CHATEAUGAY?
44.75N/73.96667W

MEACHAM?
44.56667N/74.28333W

TAYLOR POND?
44.48333N/73.8639W

SILVER LAKE?
44.50833N/73.87500W

You know the seaplane assoc has a forum. Not being a wiseass or discouraging seaplane talk. I'd like more of it. I just don't know that there are many seaplane pilots here(real ones not simply rated ones like me.) Have fun and post pictures when you get back there is some super pretty stuff in the ny mountains.

Yeah I know, not a ton of info on those lakes, I've got the contour charts and everything.

Mostly looking for any general info, fishing, scenery, experiences people had even in a boat there.

Yeah I know, not a ton of info on those lakes, I've got the contour charts and everything.

Mostly looking for any general info, fishing, scenery, experiences people had even in a boat there.

Same rules for finding fish that apply anywhere. Dead falls and weed lines attract fish.

Wish I could make better use of my seaplane rating...

Well meacham lake was nice, few nibbles, great spot for floatplanes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 97
Excellent. That looks like a damn good time.

What does it take to get one? just a few take off and landings?

Yeah, more than a few though, then there is also 'water handling', rules of the road, and some specialized techniques for handling glassy water issues.

What does it take to get one? just a few take off and landings?

No it's alot more training than that. Similar to getting " signed off" as a taildragger pilot and thinking your proficient. To be really adept at either takes a lot of hours in many different situations.

If a "landing" is on terra firma, why is it not called a "watering"? :D

2 days, 5 flights, $1,500, and a trip down to Jack Brown's Seaplane Base in FL.

I'm more a fan of Kenmore or Seattle Seaplanes

http://www.kenmoreairharbor.com/flight-training.html

http://www.seattleseaplanes.com/training.php

As far as 2 days, 5 flights.....

Well...

Then ask to take it solo

Stare-What-GIF.gif

Yep, additional oral and flight, no written though.

Basic air work, t/o and landings and some taxi, sailing, beaching and docking work.

Having tailwheel time will help.

It's the most fun you'll have in a plane hands down :yes:

Only in an amphib can you land with the wheels up and that be a good thing...:yes:

Yeah, more than a few though, then there is also 'water handling', rules of the road, and some specialized techniques for handling glassy water issues.

Once you land on water, are you not a "vessel" and under maritime CFR's, except when taking off and landing?

That was the impression I had. We touched on it at the Maritime Academy briefly.

Once you land on water, are you not a "vessel" and under maritime CFR's, except when taking off and landing?

That was the impression I had. We touched on it at the Maritime Academy briefly.

I would say that until you break surface you are a motor vessel limited in your ability to maneuver. That gives you the same basic rights as a sailboat.

I would say that until you break surface you are a motor vessel limited in your ability to maneuver. That gives you the same basic rights as a sailboat.

You think a sailing vessel has the same hierarchy as a vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver???

You might want to brush up on Rule 18.

You think a sailing vessel has the same hierarchy as a vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver???

You might want to brush up on Rule 18.

Where is a seaplane RAM? A Seaplane actuall has to keep clear of everything under Rule 18e anyway, so the answer is actually, "Seaplane is low man on the ROW totem pole while on the water. Besides, it could never display the day shapes or lights, so how could it be RAM?

It also would not by definition of RAM be such as it is not operationally restricted in ability to maneuver, ie working gear over the side, rather it is by limit of design not able to manuver as considered normal. So even though the seaplane has no technical RoW over anyone, most guys on boats will avoid creating a conflict and treat them like sailboats since they can't back up.

Seaplanes rely on the courtesy and scarcity of boaters to operate.

I always yield to everyone on the water, especially since virtually anyone could be piloting that searay or laser, I don't like the situation I go around.

That said when I'm just floating around or taxiing at <700RPM I expect a wide berth and would not take kindly to anyone getting close to me. I've never had a issue with right of way in the plane (knock on wood).

Which one did you attend?

Great Lakes Maritime Academy in Traverse City.

I am sure that...

1) We touched a little bit on aircraft on the water, and to some effect they were considered MV unless taking off or landing

2) I do not and cannot claim to remember any details aside from that

3) Those details have probably changed since then

4) The books I had to reference have since been sucked into a black hole*

*With the exception of Principles of Naval Engineering, which is still on my bookshelf

Seaplanes rely on the courtesy and scarcity of boaters to operate.

That, and seaplanes can easily operate out of lakes and ponds that even kayaks and canoes would have a heck of a time hiking to.

I always yield to everyone on the water, especially since virtually anyone could be piloting that searay or laser, I don't like the situation I go around.

That said when I'm just floating around or taxiing at <700RPM I expect a wide berth and would not take kindly to anyone getting close to me. I've never had a issue with right of way in the plane (knock on wood).

I wouldn't think that steering my boat toward a plane with a spinning prop is a good idea, but common sense is lacking sometimes.

I operated a 208 around a few lakes up there. Beautiful places to live, fly, hike, and fish! Done a lot of hiking in the area too. I imagine the 185 is a bit more fun though.

Not nearly cold enough here. Although I am itching to go up and do some ski flying soon! Hopefully when I finish this last semester of college I will have the stones to finally pull the trigger and move on up to the last frontier.

We are landing on the water on wheels now.

Nice!

I'm going to leave it on amphibs for a while, still have a few options.

Picking up the extra speed would be great, but I'm not really looking to use it for getting anywhere far right now.

Not nearly cold enough here. Although I am itching to go up and do some ski flying soon! Hopefully when I finish this last semester of college I will have the stones to finally pull the trigger and move on up to the last frontier.

Move already, you are not getting any younger...:lol:

Plus there is a pretty girl behind every tree...:rofl:

I flew floats in Alaska for close to 20 years in three different airplanes that I've owned. Most of my ops were from Lake Hood to flowing waters. Boats are a problem because there are lots of blind curves. You do what you have to do. Glacial water is opaque. The biggest problem for us is judging water depth. Hidden sandbars aren't fun to find. Glacial rivers rise and fall dramitically with weather so that adds to the fun, too. Where you landed yesterday may present real problems for taking off today. You have to think ahead.

I sold my last set of floats and gave up my float spot. Bushwheels suit my life better these days. The Bushwheels came off Saturday and the wheel skis went on. Now all we need is snow. Then back to the river!

Last edited:
Move already, you are not getting any younger...:lol:

Plus there is a pretty girl behind every tree...:rofl:

You got me there. I stayed for a pretty girl, thinking she'd stay for me but that ship has sailed. I hope to be up there soon enough.

Pleasantly surprised by how many seaplane and ski plane guys are floating around on these forums.

You got me there. I stayed for a pretty girl, thinking she'd stay for me but that ship has sailed. I hope to be up there soon enough.

Pleasantly surprised by how many seaplane and ski plane guys are floating around on these forums.

It's the best flying there is.

I'll agree to that. I am quite fond of the helo's as well. Haven't tried gliders but I think I would enjoy it as well.

Back