Water in fuel

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
So I have owned my Sport 24 years, 22 of those years I was parked outside. Juneau gets its fair share of rain and I always sumped the tanks before a flight. A good part of the time I had water in the fuel. Even after putting covers over the flush mounted caps.

Well I been in a hangar for the past 2 years. I still sump the tanks, and have not had water in the fuel for that 2 year period.

Besides condensation or having water introduced during fueling what are other means for water to be introduced?

Leaking fuel caps. Even flush mounted ones, if the gasket isn't making a tight seal.

Leaking fuel caps. Even flush mounted ones, if the gasket isn't making a tight seal.
Especially the flush caps. There's a small o-ring around the locking shaft inside the cap. Out of sight, out of mind. And those big o-rings on the outside are often old and cracking and shrunken.

Juneau gets its fair share of rain

Is an understatement....

I saw more rain in Juneau in the first 10 days there than I saw in the previous 10 years living in the high desert....

When I flew for an unnamed Part 135 operator Based out of Juneau, we had higher weather minimums in the twin engine aircraft than the singles because the singles could keep the windshield more clear in the horrendous rain. Propwash and always having a roll of paper towel handy kept the windshield clear when it was 200% humidity!

Back