Watch those receipts!!

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I went and did a little grocery shopping this evening. When I went to check out I did not notice anything strange except that my items had come to a total of $146!

I know food went up in price but GOLLY! It was a lot more than I was expecting so when I got the receipt I looked at it to see what caused it to be so high.

Imagine my surprise when I saw one item that cost me $71

That item was a little block of cheese. I had just had some of this cheese in Spain and I liked it. When I saw it at the cheese counter here I grabbed a hunk to have around the house. But I had no idea it cost that much. I pulled the item from the bag and noticed it was marked for $4.47. Somehow it got entered at a different price. The cashier was very surprised as was the customer service person. Neither of them could get the item to ring up at that price again. The price is 15.9485 times higher than what the item is marked so I doubt it was a weird multiple that got into the system as I would expect only a whole number to be allowed for entry when buying more than one item.

The store did give me a refund. But watch it!!

Last edited:
Scott,

Does the store have a "scanner price guarantee?" Some do - and you might just be able to score some compensation....

Not that I am aware of. This is a cool little store that has all kinds of stuff you can't get at the regular Jewel/Albertsons, Dominick's type stores. It sells great produce and many imported foods. They fixed the amount I paid and they did it quickly without argument. Fair enough.

Ah I see Zataran's (sp?) Dirty Rice on that receipt. Made a big batch of from-scratch dirty rice tonight... going to have it with blackened catfish later this week. Yum.

I'm guessing Felix Lignon is a vegeterian alternative to Filet Mignon?

BTW, I bet I know what caused it. It is sold by weight, and while it has the sticker for being preweighed, some registers have a "weigh" button, so I'll bet she scanned it after hitting the weigh button, and something else was on teh scale that was really heavy, something weighing....8.92 pounds.

I've seen individual items ring up as a case quantity more than once.

I've had errors get past me a few times. A couple I've gone back for correction but mostly forget about the little ones.

However, I make up for it by watching for the deals. Recently, Kroger had Hillshire Farms lunch meats on sale. Normally, they are $2.49 for a six ounce package but due to local warehouse overstock, they were selling for a buck a package. On the inside was a coupon for a buck off three packages. By the time I was done, I had paid about a buck-ninety a pound for smoked ham, smoked turkey and roast beef. I bought about forty packages in all. Ya ever buy a good-tasting roast beef for under two bucks a pound?

Brings me back to my days as a checker at Hy-Vee. I have no idea what would have caused that, for us the only way to weigh something was to type in the code and let it sit on the scanner for a second. I guess you were lucky enough to find a glitch in the system.
Reminds me of when a customer was buying a watermelon and I accidentally put in the code for strawberries. Something around $550 of strawberries rang up before I could hit cancel. Customer: "There's no way thats right! If its that expensive, I don't want it!" Obviously I voided it, but he didn't see the $550 labeled as strawberries. Must be some gooood watermelon for $200/lb.

we have a problem around here, you will get your item corrected but they do nothing to correct it in their system! So the same problem occurs again and again!
All I want to know is, "Why does this never happen with a reduced price...always a higher one?!" hmmmm
I am a religious receipt checker now. At work I have literally saved thousands in erroneous charges on credit cards etc.

I was overcharged for dinner at one of the resort restaurants in Daytona Beach last week. I caught it on the resort bill and called. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the receipt and, while they credited me $45, I suspect the overcharge may have been closer to $55, if my memory is correct. Had I not called about it, however, I doubt they would have corrected it.

I actually like going to some hotels, I ordered some soup that probably cost less than a dollar along with some crackers. They forgot to bring me the soup so I called down. They came back up with my soup and a whole bottle of sparkling cider to say sorry! I could work with that... :D

Lingonberries with Swedish Meatballs. Yum.

Only reason to visit IKEA.

Scott,

Does the store have a "scanner price guarantee?" Some do - and you might just be able to score some compensation....

I believe that's a federal law, and not just a store choiced enforcement.

I'm more worried about milk chocolate... Scott, I thought you had taste :(:

That's like saying "It's a Michelin three star McDonalds".

At the end of the day, it's an expensive plate of dung!

:rofl:

Cheers,

-Andrew
"Friends don't let friend buy milk chocolate"

It loosk like I'll have to check out Joseph's. It's fairly far away but I might be in the mood for a drive. There are a lot of Greek-owned supermarkets like that around.

I like Produce World. I used to buy one or two pounds of dolmades from the deli. I asked for a bunch for a party and the owner showed me that they get them in #10 cans for $5.00-$8.00 vs. .79 a pound. So I bought those.

Oh jeez. Must, control, temper...

Sorry Andrew... Never been much of a chocolate connoisseur.

However, now you made me think of your BBQ and that made me hungry. Must... Go... Eat... :yes:

Maybe next year you will have to teach us how to enjoy fine wine and chocolate. :yes: :yes: :yes: I know that I, for one, could use an edumacation on that sort of thing...

There is nothing wrong with either. They are both good. I just happen to like milk chocolate as much as I do dark chocolate.

Three words: Malted Milk Balls. This being a family board, I won't go into the proper way to eat them.

Sorry Andrew... Never been much of a chocolate connoisseur.

However, now you made me think of your BBQ and that made me hungry. Must... Go... Eat... :yes:

Maybe next year you will have to teach us how to enjoy fine wine and chocolate. :yes: :yes: :yes: I know that I, for one, could use an edumacation on that sort of thing...

I'll take that challenge!

Cheers,

-Andrew

I was overcharged for dinner at one of the resort restaurants in Daytona Beach last week. I caught it on the resort bill and called. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the receipt and, while they credited me $45, I suspect the overcharge may have been closer to $55, if my memory is correct. Had I not called about it, however, I doubt they would have corrected it.

I believe they call it the "overbilling correction service fee" :yes:

Three words: Malted Milk Balls. This being a family board, I won't go into the proper way to eat them.
Malteasers are good if you can find them. But those ones from the US, Whoppers, are junk. I did get some dark chocolate ones from a candy store that made their own once. They were good, but expensive.

Ah I see Zataran's (sp?) Dirty Rice on that receipt. Made a big batch of from-scratch dirty rice tonight... going to have it with blackened catfish later this week. Yum.
I used it for my dinner tonight but I strayed pretty far form the recipe

Instead of ground beef I heat up some crumbled Tofu with olive oil and garlic, then I added the rice mix along with some calmata olives. It was very good!!

Last edited:
I used for my dinner tonight but I strayed pretty far form the recipe

Instead of ground beef I heat up some crumbled Tofu with olive oil and garlic, then I added the rice mix along with some calmata olives. It was very good!!
I bet my grilled Angus beef, basted in Worcestershire sauce, tasted a heck of a lot better! Oh, and mashed taters with garlic! :)

I bet my grilled Angus beef, basted in Worcestershire sauce, tasted a heck of a lot better! Oh, and mashed taters with garlic! :)

Maybe to you, but to me nope. I am not a beef eater. Oh an occasional hamburger will pass over these lips but I really don't like beef. Lamb is ok, Turkey is good but I really don't like beef. I have been full vegi in the past and never missed meat except at Thanksgiving.

Back