Watch out what you ask for.

Mach.12

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mach.12
So, I think I might have my first CFI gig with a local flying club which I am very excited about. The "problem" is that they want me to teach instruments.

I am low time, had a hard time with my IFR checkride (read: failed checkride) and, although current, never really proficient. My CFI-I check ride was "combined" with my MEI ride, so it was not as comprehensive as I thought it would be.

So, two questions:

#1 Can anyone point me to a good part 61 IFR syllabus?

#2 What do I need to do to "retrain" myself?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
So, I think I might have my first CFI gig with a local flying club which I am very excited about. The "problem" is that they want me to teach instruments.

I am low time, had a hard time with my IFR checkride (read: failed checkride) and, although current, never really proficient. My CFI-I check ride was "combined" with my MEI ride, so it was not as comprehensive as I thought it would be.

So, two questions:

#1 Can anyone point me to a good part 61 IFR syllabus?

#2 What do I need to do to "retrain" myself?

Thanks in advance!

Check out Trevor Thoms syllabus from ASA. It goes along with his books but if you don't use the books it is still an excellent syllabus.

You don't need to retrain per say, but find out what kind of equipment the dub plane has for IFR flight, and them familiarize yourself with each of the avionics systems available to the pilots. Review your basic books such at the instrument flying handbook, the instrument procedures handbook and the POH. As with all jobs, continue to expand your knowledge by studying all available resources. Instrument flight training shouldn't be taken lightly so basically try to keep in the books and have a flexible teaching method at the ready for the various type of students you will have

I agree with Bob. You may want to review the basics of the IFR rules and work through a good syllabus, but the act of teaching and the desire to do a good job of it generally overcomes a lot and you'll find your own knowledge and proficiency increasing in the process to teaching.

Old joke : those who can't do, teach.

Reality: those who teach, learn.

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll get my nose into IFR handbook and IRF procedures. I can get them at a good price!

I'll add one more: Get yourself set up with a good desktop flight sim and practice approaches and holds. You should be able to embed the Garmin 430 or G1000 in the sim panel as well.

The path to your Gold Seal has begun. ;)

Anyone who's paid good money to teach their CFI appreciates your willingness to admit you're not ready.

You can always do what you'd expect your students to do if they don't feel confident...

Hire the best CFII around to hone your skills, and get put through the wringer.

The path to your Gold Seal has begun. ;)

Anyone who's paid good money to teach their CFI appreciates your willingness to admit you're not ready.

You can always do what you'd expect your students to do if they don't feel confident...

Hire the best CFII around to hone your skills, and get put through the wringer.

That's exactly what I planned on doing. Fortunately for me, the best I know is my dad who will be up for Turkey day...plus, he gives a great family discount.

Back