Watch out on Ebay -- 23 planes robbed

That was my theory too, I probably wouldn't notice the ADF or transponder or even the KX155 being swapped, unless the 155 display all lit up.;) But, I would notice the 530 not having my flight plans stored! :D

Transponder maybe. I'd think you'd notice if the saved routes and waypoints in your GPS had changed or if the saved frequencies in your radios had changed.

I kinda doubt that the legendary teef woudfl take to time to copy all of that.

The problem with Tony's theory is that it would require the thief to know exactly what airplane has the same avionics and which hangar it resides in well in advance. Not no where near as easy as breaking into hangars and ripping out avionics in the first place.

Oshkosh starts in a week and a half. Thousands of planes out in the open where it's perfectly normal for people to be peeking in at the panels.

The GAP area is far enough from the show that people don't come back to their planes often (that's even true for GAC) and if they're staying overnight, there's plenty of time for someone to make a swap. (I've heard this has happened at SnF before.)

Lock your planes, folks!

My transponder quits working for the umpteenth time and I pull it out of the panel and toss it out of the plane at 9500' over Eastern Oregon. I decide to upgrade to a better unit when I get home. I sell the removed tray by itself. Serves it right for pairing with such a POS transponder.

Man.... You guys aren't going to believe this..!!! I was on vacation in eastern Oregon, driving and sight seeing when all of a sudden an aircraft transponder came right through my windshield.!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Man.... You guys aren't going to believe this..!!! I was on vacation in eastern Oregon, driving and sight seeing when all of a sudden an aircraft transponder came right through my windshield.!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:D :rofl:

Trust me, where I was flying, there were no roads. Brown, tan and the occasional white from the dry lake beds. Flying to Vale to visit Bob is certainly worth it though. Need to pack extra transponders next time. Oh, quit working? Out you go...

Oshkosh starts in a week and a half. Thousands of planes out in the open where it's perfectly normal for people to be peeking in at the panels.

The GAP area is far enough from the show that people don't come back to their planes often (that's even true for GAC) and if they're staying overnight, there's plenty of time for someone to make a swap. (I've heard this has happened at SnF before.)

Lock your planes, folks!

I'm not sure how I would go about locking my plane. If I knew, I'm fairly sure a cheap pocket knife would work to open it.

The interesting thing about my Cherokee was that the hinge pins were outside the plane.

I'm not sure how I would go about locking my plane. If I knew, I'm fairly sure a cheap pocket knife would work to open it.

The interesting thing about my Cherokee was that the hinge pins were outside the plane.

Or a decent sized rock. :yikes:

Or use nothing but old outdated equipment no one wants. It all could be new just from the avionics shop and no one would look twice.

I never lock my car. When people walk by my car they cross to the other side of the street. They don't even want to be seen next to my car. Runs great all the time and gets 24.5 mpg 22 with AC running.

Old looking wore out Steam Gauges, no one will ever mess with your airplane.

Tony

Since I am in the avionics market and shop on eBay, what happens if I unknowingly purchase one of these stolen items? Even with the best of intentions how am I to know what is a stolen GPS and the other is just a good deal.

Since I am in the avionics market and shop on eBay, what happens if I unknowingly purchase one of these stolen items? Even with the best of intentions how am I to know what is a stolen GPS and the other is just a good deal.

Ask for serial numbers. I think you can send them to Garmin and others who may maintain a database of stolen numbers. At the very least, if a seller refuses, is reluctant, or comes up with a lame excuse, then you know to avoid them.

Ask for serial numbers. I think you can send them to Garmin and others who may maintain a database of stolen numbers. At the very least, if a seller refuses, is reluctant, or comes up with a lame excuse, then you know to avoid them.
Don't know if it applies to this particular theft but a common practice is to steal the radios from aircraft A then swap them with the ones in aircraft B without the owner of B's knowledge. That way the serial #s of the radios for sale by the thief don't show up on a stolen list until the swap is discovered significantly later (if ever).

Back