WAT Orion 650 wingtip lights leak?

thehagg501

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
thehagg501
I flew through some rain the other day and both my new WAT led wingtip lights had water in them. Has anyone else seen this.
I contacted WAT, they said to put sealant on them. I'm not impressed.
Shannon

Attachments

• 20220918_102210.jpg
    20220918_102210.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 52
I had those on two aircraft and it wasn’t an issue. I’d file a warranty claim assuming they’re still under warranty.

For what it’s worth, I’ve never had an issue with any Whelen product. But, quality issues do happen from time to time to all companies.

While I don't have the Orion 650's, I have not had leakage like that in any Whelen product... I've had good luck with their customer service for installation questions I've had. I'm surprised they didn't immediately offer a replacement.

I flew through some rain the other day and both my new WAT led wingtip lights had water in them. Has anyone else seen this.
I contacted WAT, they said to put sealant on them. I'm not impressed.
Shannon
Can you tell how the water got inside?

Did you install them? I installed mine and they don’t leak, but they may eventually.

First a baseplate goes down, then the light assembly, then a GASKET, then the lens, held in place by a triangular plate at the pointy end with one small screw. Whelen didn’t install the gasket and didn’t set the lens, the installer did. If it leaks? Remove the lens and seal it to the gasket with a thin layer of silicone. Or carefully smear some silicone around the seam. Easy.

Here is my reply from WAT

Good morning , this is normal and there is a drain hole for the moisture to eventually escape. If you wanted to you can take the lens off and wipe out the condensation as these assemblies were designed to have a removeable lens. The moisture will not effect the light assembly or the warranty of the product. If you need anything further please feel free to reach out at any time.

Kind Regards,

Those things are expensive, I’d ask them to ship you a new pair. Just another typical lazy customer service these days, you have to hold their hand and tell them what you want.

Back