WASSing away (xpost from red)

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
I finally got the airplane back from the avionics shop and am busy playing with the new gadgtry. It was three weeks ago today I flew it to SD for the installation of a GNS-480, EX-500/TAS-610, PM8000, and a few other goodies (Like roll steering, landing light flasher, vacuum and engine monitor warning lights, a ground power switch for the GNS480, and an improved avionics master setup). The also ended up replacing the Beech "bat wing" VOR/GS/Comm antenna on the roof with a blade antenna on the tail plus a comm whip on the belly and had to move my transponder antenna. The initial time estimate was 2-3 weeks but by the end of the first week I was told it should be ready by the next Thursday baring any significant problems. And of course a significant problem cropped up in that there are four antenna cables (cost $850!) that must be custom made by Ryan/Avidyne for the TAS and they sent the wrong length (probably ordered wrong). The replacements took a while to arrive and the completion date slipped to last Wednesday and finally Friday (yesterday). In the meantime the shop had the plane washed, buffed, and waxed (shined the paint right up). I paid for the buff/wax job, but they washed it for free as a consolation for the delay.

The plan was to make a test/certification flight when I arrived at 1PM and then fly home with the new gear. That flight went OK but we did find a few discrepancies that neede to be addressed: Existing Shadin fuel flow gauge powered from the avionics bus (it needs to be on whenever the engine is running), the flight plan route wouldn't display on the MFD, the GNS 480 annunciator audio wasn't hooked up, and there was no mute button for the TAS alerts. Considering all that was done, that wasn't too bad and they got right on making the changes as soon as we got back to the hangar.

It turned out that the flight plan route issue was due to them connecting the wrong serial bus between the GPS and MFD (RS232 vs ARINC429 for you techies) and unfortunately when they added the correct connection the tech miscounted pins and made the wrong connection. Bizarrely this resulted in the GNS 480 failing to turn on at all which took another 4-5 hours to figure out and fix so I didn't get out of there until around 9:30 PM.

Flying home I was able to check out the traffic and weather capabilities and play with the GPS and MFD. I think I'm really going to like this setup. Today I plan to do some "hangar flying" with the radios and maybe take a flight or two if weather permits. The GPS came with an outdated DB so I can't try any approaches unless it's VMC (which it isn't) but that should be rectified early next week. Reports and better pictures to follow.
The two attached pix are of rather poor quality as I was about to be late for dinner with friends and family but they show the panel adequately.

Attachments

• 25q-ltpanel1.JPG
    25q-ltpanel1.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 47
  • 25q-rtpanel1.JPG
    25q-rtpanel1.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 60
Lance,

Congratulations! What a great setup. I can't believe we waited so long to upgrade the radios in the A36. You're going to love it!

Alright! You gonna' get your 135 cert? LanceAir...kinda' rolls off the tongue, huh?

I see your A/P down low on the left and aileron trim down low on the right? Did you have any problems getting used to that? (I have zero experience with Beech)

Richard said:
Alright! You gonna' get your 135 cert? LanceAir...kinda' rolls off the tongue, huh?

I see your A/P down low on the left and aileron trim down low on the right? Did you have any problems getting used to that? (I have zero experience with Beech)

The aileron trim is something you rarely touch unless you are running with one engine shut down. The autopilot control head location isn't optimal, but I'm quite used to it and it doesn't seem to give me any trouble. Of greater concern is that there are two other autopilot controls scattered around the flight instrument panel.

1984 and newer BE58 Barons (mine's a 1970 B55) went with two separate control wheel shafts which not only allowed for more panel space, but also made room for the radio stack (and autopilot) to be nearer to the center.

Richard said:

Yeah, until Lancair hears about it! :rolleyes:

Lance, congrats on your upgrade! I'd be happy to come and fly your plane again any time so that you can play with the gadgets. :yes: :D

What indication does the unit display to show you are receiveing adequate signal to complete a waas approach? Or, does it flash a warning when there is inadequate signal?
How many waas approaches are there, and where are most of them?

Looks great lance! Can't wait to see it

Let'sgoflying! said:
What indication does the unit display to show you are receiveing adequate signal to complete a waas approach? Or, does it flash a warning when there is inadequate signal?
How many waas approaches are there, and where are most of them?

On the Map page there is a legend that sits just above the leg description that indicates the type of approach (lnav, lnav/vnav, lpv, etc). Lnav is the old non-waas type.

I haven't seen any LPV approaches (the near ILS - GPS approach), but there's lots of lnav/vnav approaches that provide vertical guidance.

flyingcheesehead said:
Yeah, until Lancair hears about it! :rolleyes:

Lance, congrats on your upgrade! I'd be happy to come and fly your plane again any time so that you can play with the gadgets. :yes: :D
You know any Columbias on a 135 cert?

Actually, I think that would be a most beneficial flight for Lance. It's real world in real time and he gets to spend some quality time head down going over everything. Everybody's a winner!

Wow, what a panel. Have fun with it!

Back