Washington State to KOSH this year

Flyhound

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flyhound
I flew from a small town about 30 miles north of Seattle to the big show this year. My first stop was a bit of a detour so I could take in a touch of backcountry heaven. I stayed at Ryan Field, just outside the western entrance to Glacier National Park in Montana. That is a spectacular location. I flew over the Bob Marshall wilderness as I exited the Rockies and that was memorable too. The plains were hot, bumpy and boring. Thank goodness there was a big airshow waiting at the end of the flight, or I would have turned around and gone home. Flat, hot and bumpy without any salt water just isn't attractive to me. 38+ hours round trip and a great adventure!

Bravo! I love doing those sorts of things… that one is varsity.

edit: GREAT video, thanks!

Last edited:
Ryan field is awesome! About 15-20 years ago, before he'd donated the field, I contacted Ben Ryan and got permission to fly in (also from the Seattle area). An old friend of mine had, late in life, gotten back together with his high-school sweetheart and they were getting married on the shores of Lake McDonald where they'd grown up (they'd grown up in the park in the late 50's and 60's, as their dads were rangers/mx guys.)

Ben gave me permission, and I flew in in an RV-4. Spent a good deal of time talking to him - just a fantastic gentleman, flew P-38's in WWII, and had to leap out of his airplane once. He loaned me a car (a wedding guest was planning on picking me up). After the wedding, I took Ben flying - still a good stick (he must've been in his early 90's). What a great guy.

--Tony

Thanks for the video,I always enjoy new adventures and long cross countries.

Back