Washington DC

ladyaviator

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Linda
Will be taking my 10yr old granddaughter to DC this coming week for spring break. We will be flying with the big boys, and using the Metro to get around. I need all the help I can get. So any info, tips, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Our plans are to see both air and space museums. the monuments and Arlington cemetery.

Thank You
Linda
:goofy:

Will be taking my 10yr old granddaughter to DC this coming week for spring break. We will be flying with the big boys, and using the Metro to get around. I need all the help I can get. So any info, tips, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Our plans are to see both air and space museums. the monuments and Arlington cemetery.

Thank You
Linda
:goofy:

These are the things I never miss when I get to DC:

• Air and Space
  • Lincoln Memorial (where are the men like Lincoln now?)
  • Vietnam Memorial (go at night if you can, and take lots of kleenex)
  • National Cathedral (fantastic architecture)

I've never taken our children (now young adults). I sure need to.

I'd give you a tour myself if I was still working down there, alas...

I'd recommend looking at the air and space, both the downtown building and, if the kids are into aviation the building out in dulles. I'd also stop by the national history, and take a look at the archives. If the kids like art, you may also want to stop by the national gallery, there is a lot of really cool stuff in there.
The kids will love the National Postal museum, and although I've never been, the Spy museum gets good reviews, if it is known to be a little expensive. In a similar vein, the newseum is also pretty neat. The monuments are pretty cool, I guess, but I've seen 'em a thousand times, and frankly I find them a bit boring, I'd only budget one day to spend walking around the memorials. I think that you will find the ZOO to be a much more enjoyable way to spend your outdoors time in DC.
Metro is really easy to use and you shouldn't have any problems with it, although it is really expensive, and cannot be used to get you out to IAD. Still it beats driving and parking, and it certinaly is a whole lot cleaner than the new york subway. I think that the metro still sells day passes for 7 dollars which may be a better value than simply paying for each ride.
One bit of advice, however, stay off the metro at or around rush hour. The crowds will not be too friendly to people who don't know their way around the system at those times, although Washingtonians are usually quite friendly in other circumstances.
You should also include a visit to some of the less visited parts of DC, including Old Town Alexandria (metro runs out there) and Georgetown (metro doesn't run there although the circulator bus does.) I'd also take a look at some of the old buildings along Mass. Ave and near Dupont circle, and perhaps looking at Adams Morgan if you are adventurous.

If you have time and really like planes, than a trip to the Gravelly point park is in order, it's hard to beat 737's 10 feet over your head!
You have picked a good time to visit, DC isn't too terribly hot in the spring and if you are lucky, the cherry blossoms will be in bloom around the tidal basin.

Hirshorn sculpture garden is great for a nice day

The memorials of course

Library of Congress

Smithsonian US History museum is good, too. I just have to stay away from the computer/communications section. Too many exhibits that I have at home. :D What do you mean that belongs in a museum? It works fine! :D

Linda,

Hotels are quite expensive, especially if you don't have a car. Search for deals. One of the places I've stayed is the Courtyard Hotel at Dunn Loring. They had some great weekend deals (and if you have frequent-hotel points, they had a promotion on that was 3/4 of the usual points for a free stay). It is literally across the street from Metro. Ballston, Crystal City, Rockville, and Bethesda also have hotels right next to Metro.

Air & Space, Smithsonians (American History museum is currently closed with a number of the exhibits at Air & Space), monuments, Arlington Cemetary are all good. Lots of walking.

It's probably too late, but it's worth a call to your congressional and senatorial offices to see if they can still get you tickets to a tour of the Capitol and White House... that may have been stopped since 9/11, but it used to be that the elected officials could hand out passes to special tours.

The Air & Space annex at Dulles is worth the trip, but by the time you ride the bus, it'll take most of the day.

If you have spare time (HA!), there are tours at Mt. Vernon.

With limited time, I'd concentrate on the Mall, Museums, Monuments, and political institutions....

Thanks for all the good information. Has anyone used the Tourmoblie, trolley? You can get on and off, or stay on for a 2 hour tour.

Thanks again

Linda

Thanks for all the good information. Has anyone used the Tourmoblie, trolley? You can get on and off, or stay on for a 2 hour tour.

Thanks again

Linda

Linda, depends on where you want to go, and what the price is. I have no idea how much it costs, but if you're only doing the Mall area + Arlington Cemetary, the subway and hoofing it are probably as good as anything else. However you look at it, there will be a lot of walking involved. Bring comfortable shoes.

Linda, depends on where you want to go, and what the price is. I have no idea how much it costs, but if you're only doing the Mall area + Arlington Cemetary, the subway and hoofing it are probably as good as anything else. However you look at it, there will be a lot of walking involved. Bring comfortable shoes.

This is my only fault with the metro - It seems like there is a lot more walking in between stops than say Boston.
But it is very clean and really quiet thanks to those rubber wheels.

This is my only fault with the metro - It seems like there is a lot more walking in between stops than say Boston.

And the ticket you buy will work at any station. The MBTA can't make that claim. They're still stuck in the 19th century.

Thanks again

Linda

I've always wanted to do the DC Duck (but, since I live here, of course I haven't yet). It's a tourmobile that every so often will take a dip into a body of water and toodle around. I usually see it down at Gravelly Point so BONUS you might get to see planes landing at National.

Very clean jay, but no rubber wheels. The metro runs on standard steel wheel on steel rails. The Montreal metro however....

books

I knew Montreal did, but I knew DC was rubber too.

This if from a DC tour book I found online.

And the ticket you buy will work at any station. The MBTA can't make that claim. They're still stuck in the 19th century.

Not any more Ghery! We have the Charlie Card now... and it works all over the city.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back