Washington DC (Northern VA) Aircraft Rental/Instruction

flyingcop

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyingcop
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and also new to the Northern Virginia (Arlington) area. I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a good place to rent in the area? I am also looking to complete some add on ratings so any advice on instruction (prefer freelance instructors over flight schools) would be great as well! I have seen some in MD that are some distance away, but I would prefer something in Northern VA if possible.

Thanks!

Is Potomac Airfield (VKX) too far away? Depending on where in Arlington, it may be the closest, if not easiest commute. GT Aviation is solid. Also check out the yahoo group DCPilots.

Leesburg and manassas each have multiple rental choices. I prefer aviation adventures http://www.aviationadventures.com/ (offices at both) but there are a lot of good choices. This area can be pricy though....

Thank you for the responses. I realize the FRZ means finding a place "close" to Arlington is not possible... I will definitely look into joining the DC Pilots group on yahoo. Just looking for recommendations for where I'll get the best bang for my buck... Thanks again for the quick responses.

If anyone knows/can recommend a good freelance flight instructor (CFII/MEI) that would also be much appreciated.

You could also go out East. I'm from Nova, but I learned to fly at Chesapeake Sport Pilot over on the Eastern Shore of MD at Bay Bridge Airport. From where you are, there might not be a huge difference in driving time between Leesburg/Manassas and Bay Bridge. They mainly do Sport Pilot stuff in fantastically fun to fly airplanes, but last I knew they just brought a 177B on the line for rental at a pretty reasonable rate for the type of airplane. If you want more info on them, feel free to post back here or PM. I have nothing but praise for them and especially their instructors. It's a fantastic group of people.

When I was in the area, I lived in NE DC, worked at Ft Myer and flew at Leesburg at Aviation Adventures. I found their planes and instructors were worth the drive. On the DC pilots forum, you will hear great things about most the flight schools in the DC area.

I like Leesburg ,you have a couple of options ,and they have a corridor in and out. Potomac is a little busier and more congested traffic area.

Potomac isn't congested, but you are shoehorned into a tiny approach course though the class B notch (your FRZ clearance doesn't get you into the class B).

Potomac isn't congested, but you are shoehorned into a tiny approach course though the class B notch (your FRZ clearance doesn't get you into the class B).

That's what I meant to say .Thanks

Thank you for the responses. I realize the FRZ means finding a place "close" to Arlington is not possible... I will definitely look into joining the DC Pilots group on yahoo. Just looking for recommendations for where I'll get the best bang for my buck... Thanks again for the quick responses.

If anyone knows/can recommend a good freelance flight instructor (CFII/MEI) that would also be much appreciated.

Can you tell us a little more what you're looking for? You're asking for freelance instructors, but then you're asking about renting. Generally when you rent, you're required to use their instructors, so the two are often mutually exclusive.

The FRZ is not a big deal. If you're going to be in the area, get your FRZ access. As a LEO and you can do side gigs flying aerial photography flights deep inside the FRZ that require a waiver and a LEO on board.

Have you visited the area airports to see which you like? I'd be happy to show you around VKX, and take you up for a flight in the area.

You've got a number of options for instruction - Manassas & Leesburg are both within the SFRA - Manassas has a tower. Schools include Aviation Adventures, Dulles Aviation (at HEF), and AvEd (I think is still around). Its more important that you have a really good match with your instructor... though the way the schools operate is important too.

Independent instructors are a bit harder to find due to the availability of aircraft and airport restrictions. You may need to go to Warrenton, Culpeper, or Manassas to really find what you want. Those are outside the SFRA and have fewer airport regs.

I live in Arlington, am based at VKX, and instruct there and at GAI. The FRZ and SFRA are a walk in the park compared to the ordeal of driving through mile of perpetual gridlock to the remote suburban airports.

I'm selling an airplane share, based at W00. PM if interested

IFR certified C172S

I live in Arlington, am based at VKX, and instruct there and at GAI. The FRZ and SFRA are a walk in the park compared to the ordeal of driving through mile of perpetual gridlock to the remote suburban airports.

I hang out at VKX. Which outfit do you instruct with?

I rented out of Fredricksburg (Shannon Fld -EZF) for a year. Uncontrolled, just outside the SFRA, decent rates...

Thought I'd dig this thread up and see if folks have any feedback on where to go in NoVa. I'm returning to Arlington from SoCal in the fall and after some "shenanigans" with my CFII out here, I've resigned myself to not finishing IFR before I head back. I'd like to get some feedback on a couple of potential flight schools to finish up.

I've met all the minimums and passed my written, so what I'll be looking for is a somewhat intensive "finish up" program once I move. I think I'll be too distracted with the move to concentrate on much training between now and then.

Currently looking at Leesburg, either Aviation Adventure or Atlantic Airways. I'd prefer to finish up in an SR20 (height makes the sidestick preferable IME) vs. a Cessna or Piper so those seem like the two that have Cirrus in their fleets. Any pro/con about either? Ideally would like an instructor that is somewhat regimented in their approach so I come into each lesson well-prepared for what we're going to work on.

I'm open to VKX in the future and used to fly there with GT before I headed west, though I don't think it's necessarily the right fit for finishing up.

Another option would be Aviation Adventures at RMN (Stafford) which just recently opened at that location. Just take I-95S and you're there, and its outside of the SFRA.

Thought I'd dig this thread up and see if folks have any feedback on where to go in NoVa. I'm returning to Arlington from SoCal in the fall and after some "shenanigans" with my CFII out here, I've resigned myself to not finishing IFR before I head back. I'd like to get some feedback on a couple of potential flight schools to finish up.

I've met all the minimums and passed my written, so what I'll be looking for is a somewhat intensive "finish up" program once I move. I think I'll be too distracted with the move to concentrate on much training between now and then.

Currently looking at Leesburg, either Aviation Adventure or Atlantic Airways. I'd prefer to finish up in an SR20 (height makes the sidestick preferable IME) vs. a Cessna or Piper so those seem like the two that have Cirrus in their fleets. Any pro/con about either? Ideally would like an instructor that is somewhat regimented in their approach so I come into each lesson well-prepared for what we're going to work on.

I'm open to VKX in the future and used to fly there with GT before I headed west, though I don't think it's necessarily the right fit for finishing up.

Go to Aviation Adventures in Leesburg. You won't regret it. I did my IFR there, plus a couple years of renting and a couple Flight Reviews. They have an outstanding set of instructors and a great management.

So...what happened to Hyde Field? Why isn't anyone talking about that? Real close to Potomac.

Go to Aviation Adventures in Leesburg. You won't regret it. I did my IFR there, plus a couple years of renting and a couple Flight Reviews. They have an outstanding set of instructors and a great management.

Any recommendations for a CFII out there?

I don't see any listing for what's in Aviation Adventures' fleet in Stafford on their website, but since a lot of my post-rating flying will be southbound, it's certainly a good option! Anyone have inside knowledge?

KVKX has a SR20 at GT aviation.

I've looked at Leesburg and Manasas but they are just so far away from DC when you consider traffic.

I can be at VKX in 20 minutes.

Last edited:
KVKX has a SR20 at GT aviation.

I see an SR22 Turbo on their website, but that seems like overkill for finishing up IFR plus I don't meet their check out minimums for it.

Do they also have an SR20 that's not on their website? If so, that would be a great, close option. I really liked the CFII I had there!

(I tried to login the ye olde scheduler and it looks like I'm no longer active so can't see the available fleet for GT in there.)

So...what happened to Hyde Field? Why isn't anyone talking about that? Real close to Potomac.

Yep, about 1nm away. Unfortunately these days there is no active flight school over there. A couple maintenance shops, but no aircraft rentals to my knowledge.

@Martin. I know aviation adventures just opened at Stafford and had their grand opening ceremony on July 12, so it may be a few weeks before we see anything on the website. RMN is pretty nice, new terminal too that just opened recently.

@Martin. I know aviation adventures just opened at Stafford and had their grand opening ceremony on July 12, so it may be a few weeks before we see anything on the website. RMN is pretty nice, new terminal too that just opened recently.

You can see the planes on the scheduling site. Two 172s (N9513H and N24616) and a Travel Air (N2033C).

You've got a number of options for instruction - Manassas & Leesburg are both within the SFRA - Manassas has a tower. Schools include Aviation Adventures, Dulles Aviation (at HEF), and AvEd (I think is still around). Its more important that you have a really good match with your instructor... though the way the schools operate is important too.

Independent instructors are a bit harder to find due to the availability of aircraft and airport restrictions. You may need to go to Warrenton, Culpeper, or Manassas to really find what you want. Those are outside the SFRA and have fewer airport regs.

I used a very good independent instructor at CJR who is also very reasonable, cost wise. He has his own plane (older 172 but very clean and GPS equipped) and instructs with it. He's a retired guy with ATP who teaches private and IFR. He's even rotor and rotor CFI certified and has a R22 that he teaches with.

If you (or anyone else) is interested in the details, PM me. I've got his card at home.

(And no conflict of interest - only a very satisfied customer whose failure to finish his PP is his own fault, and not the instructors.)

I see an SR22 Turbo on their website, but that seems like overkill for finishing up IFR plus I don't meet their check out minimums for it.

Do they also have an SR20 that's not on their website? If so, that would be a great, close option. I really liked the CFII I had there!

(I tried to login the ye olde scheduler and it looks like I'm no longer active so can't see the available fleet for GT in there.)

Must be an SR22 then.

But they also have a DA40 that's really nice if you are wanting a newer, bells and whistles type plane.

If you want an SR20, Fredrick Flight center has one for $215 an hour wet.

Last edited:
Back