Washing your aircraft?

Franco1024

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Franco1024
I have been doing some searching to see if anyone knows how much it would cost to have your plane washed, but I could not find anything on here about it. My BIG idea is to maybe reach out and wash someone's plane for a ride or just to make a little extra cash for flight training. I have experience in washing and detailing cars and figured it be mostly the same besides chemicals used and alot bigger towels.

Does anyone on this forum pay to have their plane washed?

How much do you pay, how often?

If you do it yourself, what would be the most you would pay to have someone relieve you of that duty?

Up until I sold my plane, there was nobody at our airport that would wash the plane (well, they'd wash a jet, but not our spam can.) I'd pay $150 to avoid doing it myself, not likely more, and that's if you got the oil off the belly.

Aircraft have a lot of things that aren't on cars that require a lot of special attention (i.e. static ports) that can cause major problems if they get water in them or if they are polished/waxed over. Some cleaning chemicals don't play nice with aircraft windshields. Small aircraft generally have plexiglass windshields which can become foggy with the wrong kind of cleaner - larger aircraft have glass with special protective coatings that can be removed with the wrong kind of cleaner. Generally those are only cleaned with water and a cloth or fingertips.

Aircraft skin is also much more thin than cars and pressing too hard in the wrong place can damage the aircraft.

Be sure to carry insurance and spend some time learning about all the parts of the aircraft.

No idea what people charge though!

Last edited:
Washing a plane ain't rocket surgery, that said I'd help a owner wash for free a few times to learn what's what before I put much value on my time.

I met a plane washer that would wash the top half of small planes for free. The bottom half would cost a lot more. Include the interior for a little more.

Does anyone on this forum pay to have their plane washed? How much do you pay, how often?
If you do it yourself, what would be the most you would pay to have someone relieve you of that duty?

I pay $300 for a wash and wax every spring. Ivan does an excellent job, he spends most of the day getting the job done and it shows in his work. http://www.cavuaircraftdetailing.com/

Back