Washing machine capacitor polarity?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
fixing a washing machine. Took the capacitor off and neglected to note which way it went back. Any way to tell if this is polarized and if so, which lead goes where?980FB582-1CBB-438F-84C4-C911158231C3.jpeg17C94B01-FAB1-4AE7-A30D-17F29F2D1F28.jpeg 2FCD84B2-A52A-4D5E-94FA-4378CC337672.jpeg

Pretty sure you don't have to worry about that with those caps.

Should be a stripe or a "-" on the lead or the edge of the case aligned with one tab if it is polarized, or you'll find the "+" tab is longer. Motor starter caps usually aren't polarized. If you don't find a marking or tab dimension difference (I couldn't discern any from your photos) you are probably okay connecting it either way.

If I do it backward can I damage the washer or just destroy the capacitor?

Most likely the cap will start smoking.

See the specifications on the side where it says "250 volts AC"? Motor capacitors in AC service are almost always nonpolarized. The easy way to get this is to have TWO electrolytic capacitors of TWICE the capacitance you need and run them + to + or - to - inside the case and bring out the two remaining leads. Short answer is put it back in the way it physically works best and don't worry about polarity -- it ain't got none.

JIm

Back