Washing and Waxing

Washing and Waxing your airplane

• I wash and wax my own.

Votes: 38 76.0%
  • I hire it done.

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • I have my kids do it.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I don't do it, its a waste of my time.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • I let my partners do it while I am on vacation.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I was talking to another pilot/owner the other day about washing and waxing of airplanes. I enjoy taking care of mine and wash it on a regular bases and wax it as needed. He has only washed his twice in a year and just now waxed it in two years. He said he hates to do it himself. So my question to you all is;
Do you wash and wax your own airplane or hire it done? I thought this might be a good way to make an extra buck or two.

i wash mine, shared t hangar gets dusty
i need every L/D point i can...

I gave up washing mine once I was able to put it in a hanger. Now I just clean the bugs off after each flight (spray bottle of water and a towel) I use Meguiar's Quick Detailer at least once a month and their Cleaner Wax a couple of times a year.
Ron

Mine is hangarged so I mostly dust it, and clean the bugs off. But once a year I'll give it a good cleaning and wax it. After annual the mechanics have their asistants also wash the plane.

I wash mine about once a month during the warm flying season with ZipWax and cotton rags. It looks waxed when I finish. It gives me a chance to check for problems. It's hangared, but a lot of pollen and dust filters in with the door closed. I'm slow, as it usually takes 4-5 hours, but it's a good excuse to hang out at the airport. No better way to dry it off than a quick test flight afterwards. I'll probably do it one more time before Thanksgiving, after that the bugs are less active until the early spring.

I couldn't afford myself if I had to pay me.

Dean said:
I was talking to another pilot/owner the other day about washing and waxing of airplanes. I enjoy taking care of mine and wash it on a regular bases and wax it as needed. He has only washed his twice in a year and just now waxed it in two years. He said he hates to do it himself. So my question to you all is;
Do you wash and wax your own airplane or hire it done? I thought this might be a good way to make an extra buck or two.

It would be interesting to see the same poll on the red board.

You missed a possible that I would have checked off:

I wash, buff and wax other peoples planes for time/money

If nobody answers I hire it done, I'll be very surprized.

Stache said:
To Wax or Not

Go ahead and wax your hull. It will protect it from UV damage, keep it looking shiny and, thanks to Billy Crystal, we all know it’s better to look good than to feel good.

Stache

And that is the real reason we wax. To protect our investment. The wax protects the paint which protects the oxide layer which protects the aluminium substrate. Performance differrence is negligible, although it does favor the turbulent surface. If you want to maximize that though, you don't need to let the paint oxidize. Actually a much better turblent flow surfacing is available. There is a film the NASA engineers designed that some Americas cup teams used that showed a very slight advantage for a very high cost, but these are Americas cup Boats, big bucks, no expense to great for an edge no matter how small. 3M I believe manufactured it, though I don't know if it is a public license product. 'Taint cheap.

As to wet sanding and buffing, we do that because we like it when it looks like glass.B)

I wash the bugs off and spot clean in the hanger. Couple times a year, I may wash and wax. On occassion, when I just can't get to it and things are busy, I have a service wash it.

Best,

Dave

I Don't have any kids but my 2 Great Nephews just love doing it plus they get a ride later,and yes i do pay and feed them for doing it. got to take care of the hired help.
Dave G
P.S. i voted " have the kids do it"

Henning said:
And that is the real reason we wax. To protect our investment. The wax protects the paint which protects the oxide layer which protects the aluminium substrate. Performance differrence is negligible, although it does favor the turbulent surface. If you want to maximize that though, you don't need to let the paint oxidize. Actually a much better turblent flow surfacing is available. There is a film the NASA engineers designed that some Americas cup teams used that showed a very slight advantage for a very high cost, but these are Americas cup Boats, big bucks, no expense to great for an edge no matter how small. 3M I believe manufactured it, though I don't know if it is a public license product. 'Taint cheap.

As to wet sanding and buffing, we do that because we like it when it looks like glass.B)

Now, I have a question, did I hallucinate and manage to quote a hallucination when I wrote that?

Henning said:
Now, I have a question, did I hallucinate and manage to quote a hallucination when I wrote that?

Its because the toliets flush backwards and you just can't handle that.

Anthony said:
Its because the toliets flush backwards and you just can't handle that.

Well, then comes the question, will a Southern Hemisphere toilet work in the Northern Hemisphere?

Henning said:
Well, then comes the question, will a Southern Hemisphere toilet work in the Northern Hemisphere?
Only if the magnet is put on the other end.

I did wash my own. Then I found a place that does it for $50, and does it quicker, and a better job than I do.

We have a club plane wash once a month in the summertime. I don't make all of them (was out of town on business last month) but it's sure nicer to wash in a group. They tell me we wax it once a year too, but in general the planes are in a nice hanger so they don't get excesslivly dirty.

Missa

Missa said:
We have a club plane wash once a month in the summertime. I don't make all of them (was out of town on business last month) but it's sure nicer to wash in a group. They tell me we wax it once a year too, but in general the planes are in a nice hanger so they don't get excesslivly dirty.

Missa

Wax it twice a year with Collinite Fleetwax anyway.

Henning said:
Wax it twice a year with Collinite Fleetwax anyway.

I can suggest it but I'm only a new peaon member so it's not like I have any power.... If I had power I would repeal the stupid 'no turf' rule.

Missa

I'd do my own plane occasionally or hire it done but for our club planes, it ain't worth the aggravation because pilots are always overfilling the engine oil in all the planes and it vents over the plane, no matter how many times they're told to not fill them above a certain level.

The paint on my plane is so horrible that all I do is clean the windscreen after each flight and the leading edge once a month. When I find a hanger I plan on getting it painted but till then....

larrysb said:
How much does it cost to have a Cherokee washed and how do you find someone who won't break it in the process of washing it?

People I had on a biweekly contract were $20 to wash. One offs depended on how nasty the plane was, a Cherokee sized plane wouldn't go over say $50. A good buff,glaze&wax (2 times over with the machine and a hand wax that requires washing 3 times as well, 2 days)$350, wash and hand wax $125.

How do you find someone who knows what they're doing? Good luck.

I was one of the first 7 to vote(Category 1), without comment. As a follow-up I always feel that the personal involvement, as well as the kink in the neck from doing the under-wings, instills a better pride than having someone else do the job.

She sat outside for three months while in NH for avionics upgrades, all three months of the seemingly constant Northeast Spring rain. I used a buffer, then Wash, Wax-All. Now, if it stops raining(again) I can get her dirty for the next rub-down.

HR

Attachments

• 009_9.JPG
    009_9.JPG
    410 KB · Views: 9
Back