Was AirVenture lacking something this year?

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I had a great time as always this year. I enjoyed meeting a lot of folks at Jay's HOPS party, and working flight line ops for a couple of shifts. I didn't get a chance to see as many planes this year; the only one I sat in was the Glassair Sportsman.

But I just didn't feel the buzz that I've felt in years past. Crowds seemed down. The Salute to Veterans was great, though I wished the announcers encouraged people to stick around for the returning Honor Flight on Friday.

Was the military presence an afterthought this year? Just wondering about these things. Hopefully it's just me.

Outside of the Van's RV microcosm at Airventure this year (which that segment was very upbeat due to the 40th anniversary of Vans Aircraft), yeah I felt it too across the remainder of the rest of Airventure. Kinda like Airventure has untreated stage 2 cancer and the patient is in denial that anything is wrong at all.

Last edited:
I went today, which was a pretty good day to be there. I took my neighbor, Bill, who had never flown in a small plane. Our trusty steed was a 1974 Cessna Skyhawk.
We stayed at 3,000 msl on the way up north due to a broken deck just above there. There were a few burbles due to the clouds, but not too bad. We landed in Fond du Lac and took the shuttle to Oshkosh. I worked in a booth in building A for three hours. There were a lot of "BOOMS" from the pyrotechnics during the airshow. Tora Tora Tora were performing.
We went for the pig roast at the Seaplane Base. Pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, potato salad, watermelon and pop. Beer was available as part of the dinner, but I was due to aviate. I still got one of the cool collectors mugs that was part of the event.
Some nice Wisconsin folks (John and Maureen) gave us a ride from the seaplane base back to FLD.
The skies were clear for the ride to West Chicago Dupage Airport. We went up to 6,500 msl. Chicago Approach gave us advisories without a hitch and we landed straight in on Runway 15. Bill enjoyed the flight and I logged 2.9 hours for the day!
ApacheBob

Usually, there is a high profile new aircraft to give the event some sparkle. The A-380, the 787, whatever.

Nothing comes to mind this year.

Besides, many EAA members are in something of a funk because of all the changes that are moving the organization from a hands-on organization of hombuilders and restorers to a more mainstream GA organization. That may have had an impact. Or not.

The funky weather didn't help.

I just got home today. <3:50 from engine start at Osh to shut-down at VPC (Just NW of Atlanta)...

Besides, many EAA members are in something of a funk because of all the changes that are moving the organization from a hands-on organization of homebuilders and restorers to a more mainstream GA organization. That may have had an impact. Or not.

They seems to be something to that. Some "under the radar" comments I have heard/read expressing that sentiment.

As a recent joiner of EAA, I have no vernier but anything aviation is OK for me.:thumbsup:

Cheers

I went on two separate days with a boat load of questions about a number of things and got a good deal of satisfaction out of the visit. I was not looking for some over arching emotion, rather worked a pretty hectic list of vendor visits and enjoyed the show. I'll be back next year for a longer time.

Besides, many EAA members are in something of a funk because of all the changes that are moving the organization from a hands-on organization of hombuilders and restorers to a more mainstream GA organization. That may have had an impact. Or not.

I'll second that. Seems like there is an internal uprising within EAA. Had a conversation with some of the workshop volunteers, and they are unhappy with the level of support from the upper levels of EAA. A group that was founded from home builders no longer seems to want to support the knowledge base or groups that are trying to keep it alive.

Other than Vans (liked the RV 14), I thought there was a thin turn out of kit builders or home built airplanes. Less than last year for sure.

Vendors have been dropping out for at least 12 years that I can document. The smaller guys say they can't afford to exhibit at OSH because the booth rates have simply put the show out of reach. For a while, some of them were attending snf instead, but dunno if the rates at that show have remained more reasonable.

I went today, which was a pretty good day to be there. I took my neighbor, Bill, who had never flown in a small plane. Our trusty steed was a 1974 Cessna Skyhawk.
We stayed at 3,000 msl on the way up north due to a broken deck just above there. There were a few burbles due to the clouds, but not too bad. We landed in Fond du Lac and took the shuttle to Oshkosh. I worked in a booth in building A for three hours. There were a lot of "BOOMS" from the pyrotechnics during the airshow. Tora Tora Tora were performing.
We went for the pig roast at the Seaplane Base. Pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, potato salad, watermelon and pop. Beer was available as part of the dinner, but I was due to aviate. I still got one of the cool collectors mugs that was part of the event.
Some nice Wisconsin folks (John and Maureen) gave us a ride from the seaplane base back to FLD.
The skies were clear for the ride to West Chicago Dupage Airport. We went up to 6,500 msl. Chicago Approach gave us advisories without a hitch and we landed straight in on Runway 15. Bill enjoyed the flight and I logged 2.9 hours for the day!
ApacheBob
Missed you there, Bob! Saw Josh (jwynne) and Susan there, as well as Rod Rakic and a few other non-PoA friends.

Some of the biggest news weren't really showcased that well. Lot of breakthroughs in Electric Flight (check out Chip Yates in his Electric Long EZ setting a new speed record for electric flight), Cessna unveiling their diesel 182 and many updates with the fuel situation. Not the sexiest of topics, but nonetheless, interesting.

As for the show, it did seem to lack something. Some of that is probably due to raised rates for the vendors to come this year. It was very obvious in the Vendor buildings. Lots of open spaces and empty booth spaces. I've got a good friend that runs a business that usually has a tent up there. Their rate went from $3k to $10k this year, so they did not come up. Also, a 10% increase in camping rates as well as higher show costs. I hope they don't shoot the golden goose that has been laying the egg and price themselves out of a great event.

One exciting piece of news. The blue angles and thunderbirds have never performed at Airventure due to the "box" around the airport having too many obstacles or not enough clearance for what they require to do their shows. The Blue Angel leaders were there trying to figure out a way to adjust the "box" over the airport so that they will now be able to perform at Airventure.

Would also add... The forums did not disappoint (as usual). A myriad of topics to listen to or learn from. Some of the ones we hit were: Alan Kapmeir, Dick Rutan, Bob Hoover, Ron Stafford, Chip Yates, Composite Techniques, Propellors for your Homebuilt, SR-71 - Richard Graham (talked you through an entire mission from start to finish, pretty cool), Scaled Composites.

Flew in the mass arrival with the Cessna group as well. Most fun I've had flying into Airventure. Great group of pilots!

One exciting piece of news. The blue angles and thunderbirds have never performed at Airventure due to the "box" around the airport having too many obstacles or not enough clearance for what they require to do their shows. The Blue Angel leaders were there trying to figure out a way to adjust the "box" over the airport so that they will now be able to perform at Airventure.

That's great news. Now THAT would really be a draw.

On a related matter, at the Friday airshow during the two F-18 flight demos, the announcer said something like this was the first time that military flight demos have occured during AirVenture? Really? I've seen demos in recent years by the F-22, C-17, etc. What am I missing?

Great to meet a few of you! Even on accident and only briefly... I had a good time. Neal, i saw a plane just like yours depart on sat, but i hought u said u left earlier...i waved anyway.

I'll second that. Seems like there is an internal uprising within EAA. Had a conversation with some of the workshop volunteers, and they are unhappy with the level of support from the upper levels of EAA. A group that was founded from home builders no longer seems to want to support the knowledge base or groups that are trying to keep it alive.

Other than Vans (liked the RV 14), I thought there was a thin turn out of kit builders or home built airplanes. Less than last year for sure.

From the red board.
Posted without comment.
Folks,
For those who don't want to wade through all the posts, here's a summary of the issue posted by EAA member FloridaJohn over on the EAA Forum:

"The purpose started out as simply an idea to elect people to the board that were thought to better represent the homebuilder community. Nothing wrong with that, just some members exercising their rights in a membership organization. The initial idea was to (as a group) figure out who they wanted to vote for.

Then someone wondered exactly what the mechanism would be for a group of like-minded people to cast a group of votes. The obvious answer seemed to be via proxy. After all, that's how the current EAA leadership gets to cast votes for people who are unable to attend the annual meeting.

Since there were rumors that the last time this had been tried all the proxies were rejected by EAA because they did not conform to the proper standard, someone thought the group should ask EAA for a blank "blessed" proxy form so that there was some assurance that the collected proxies would be counted. That led to an entire month of time passing, with no one from EAA seemingly able to approve or locate a simple form. First, the EAA lawyer was required, then the EAA Executive Committee was required, and in the end, that still did not produce a form from EAA that was "pre-accepted." Finally, in frustration, the members who were interested in casting votes just copied the existing proxy that assign the voting rights to the EAA leadership and changed the appropriate fields. This got some tacit approval from EAA, but there was still no definitive statement that these would be accepted as legal proxies.

At this point, the "movement" adjusted it goals slightly. In addition to trying to cast a group vote for those they thought would best represent the group, and new goal was to see if the proxy process is broken, or if a group of like-minded individuals can exercise their rights in voting for who they want to represent them. That part remains to be seen.

As part of the process of trying to squeeze an approved proxy form from EAA, it was discovered that the EAA by-laws, minutes to the Board meetings, minutes to the Executive committee meetings, and several other key documents were impossible to find. These documents were thought to be very important for members of the EAA to be able to review, since that would give them some insight into how the EAA is run, and also which board members were looking out for any particular group's interests. With this information, a member can see if a board member voted for or against the things a particular group of members cared about. So the goals were adjusted a little bit more to try and get EAA to be more transparent in it's governance. After all, as a voting member, you want to make sure the people you are voting for have your best interest in mind, right? In this internet age, making these documents available to members should be no harder than creating a "governance" section on the EAA website that members can access anytime they are interested.

All this controversy came about because a group of members wanted to exercise their rights in a membership organization. They were trying to work within the organization to make changes, not against it. That turned out to be an extremely difficult task that revealed the lack of transparency in the way things are currently run. Obviously, changes like this are not made overnight, so a multi-step process was outlined:

Step 1. Collect proxies and see if they can be used by a group to cast votes for "preferred" candidates.
Step 2. If that was successful, see how board members can be nominated that are preferential to the group for next year. If not successful, find out why.
Step 3. Work with the EAA to make the governance more transparent to the members. Realize this may not happen until said group has enough members on the board to force a change.

This initial group happened to be a group of homebuilders, but the same thing could be done by a group of warbirds, antiques, aerobatics, or others. Over time, the board would begin to more represent the groups that were organized and voting in a block. This is a way to make sure the EAA is going in the direction the membership prefers.

So, the initial push was to get proxies, because that is what can be done now, and before Oshkosh this year. The other stuff will take longer and require more work over a span of several years.

The main goal was well-defined: More transparency in EAA governance. Everything else were just ways to get there."

Fewer aircraft, clearly. I can remember when they'd run out of camping spots on Tuesday. Fewer vendors as well. It's the economy, stupid.

This was my 4th trip. It's sad I live a 2 hour drive and can only get up 1 or 2 days. The atmosphere just felt different. And the Saturday airshow was lacking, IMHO. Tora, Tora, Tora was great, but the rest just didn't seem up to par with past performances. A lot of people, myself included, started packing up during the Bob Hoover tribute. I felt bad because I invited some friends who had never been before, and I talked it up how great it would be. I feel like I somehow let them down.

For those in the know, the Arlington Fly-in shows the same syndrome, smaller and smaller each year, until this year it was a car show and other old military vehicles, more in the ultra light side than any thing in the A-HB.

T-A-P didn't even send a booth. and most of the kit makers didn't come.

and the price was $18 per person per day and the RV spots were very expensive, with no hook ups at all.

I have to agree that it was missing something. Went for my usual three days and left after two. The vendors seemed to be all selling glass panels and other high priced avionics or t-shirts. I think I passed through the homebuilders section, but can't be sure. The whole show was just a jumbled mess of mediocrity. The last straw was finally getting to the museum and finding it closed for a "$1200 a plate" dinner that not even the bus drivers knew about.

I was planning on flying in for the first time next year. Now, its not such a big deal. I've gone from envying people camped out for a week in the north forty to feeling sorry for them. Good job, EAA.

Its too bad you need to be an EAA member to camp on the field. I guess that's how they inflate their membership numbers. Need to see if I can cancel it between visits.

I have to agree that it was missing something. Went for my usual three days and left after two. The vendors seemed to be all selling glass panels and other high priced avionics or t-shirts. I think I passed through the homebuilders section, but can't be sure. The whole show was just a jumbled mess of mediocrity. The last straw was finally getting to the museum and finding it closed for a "$1200 a plate" dinner that not even the bus drivers knew about.

I was planning on flying in for the first time next year. Now, its not such a big deal. I've gone from envying people camped out for a week in the north forty to feeling sorry for them. Good job, EAA.

Its too bad you need to be an EAA member to camp on the field. I guess that's how they inflate their membership numbers. Need to see if I can cancel it between visits.

I'm glad it's not just me. It seemed to me there were a lot more vendors selling non-flying stuff; there was even a giant truck with young people giving away free 5-Hour Energy bottles. Yet, I know of one guy who owns a pilot shop down in Texas that can't even think about affording the cost of a booth at AirVenture. How sad.

As Dr. Steingar (btw, professor, I was looking forward to meeting you at the HOPS party; sorry I missed you) said, the economy has something to do with it, perhaps a lot to do with it, but I feel like there is some other problem going on with EAA and AirVenture.

I got a general sense that the organization's mission is now about the organization and not the members. I've seen this before whenever an organization gets very successful.

That said, the "magic" of OSH for me is the airplanes and the people, and there were plenty of great examples of both this year as well.

I got a general sense that the organization's mission is now about the organization and not the members. I've seen this before whenever an organization gets very successful.

That said, the "magic" of OSH for me is the airplanes and the people, and there were plenty of great examples of both this year as well.

The young commander of the navy sub hunter was excited to be there as was my son. I'm sure for those with little experience with Oshkosh it was as incredible as I originally thought it was. Frankly I was shocked when I stepped into one of the forums only to see open spaces. I haven't been there in the previous 2 years but I mentioned multiple times to my father that something was different. We were able to get front row for show at 3 still within reasonable distance from show center.

I only hope this isn't the beginning of something, I've got a lot more years to take my son there.

Please. No.

I do enjoy the groups, but don't want Oshkosh to turn into another airshow geared to the general public.

Please. No.

I do enjoy the groups, but don't want Oshkosh to turn into another airshow geared to the general public.

You know, on the one hand, I see where you are coming from. But on the other hand, GA is dieing a slow death. The more people exposed to aviation, and what EAA and AOPA and other alphabet groups stand for, the better, IMHO.

You know, on the one hand, I see where you are coming from. But on the other hand, GA is dieing a slow death. The more people exposed to aviation, and what EAA and AOPA and other alphabet groups stand for, the better, IMHO.

Exposed to military aviation (that they all know is out of their reach) or exposed to General Aviation?

One could argue that them coming in on Saturday to see the Blues or whatever, they have to walk through the vendor area, but if they were to stop off and ask, "What does one of these cost?" that'd be worse PR than not coming at all.

It's the price tag. We're all fine with flying 30-50 year old stuff. The "public" wouldn't be.

Exposed to military aviation (that they all know is out of their reach) or exposed to General Aviation?

Well, if it takes the former to get them in the gate to be exposed to the latter...

One could argue that them coming in on Saturday to see the Blues or whatever, they have to walk through the vendor area, but if they were to stop off and ask, "What does one of these cost?" that'd be worse PR than not coming at all.

Maybe so. But if that is the case, then the war is lost. GA is dead, it just don't know it yet.

It's the price tag. We're all fine with flying 30-50 year old stuff. The "public" wouldn't be.

Again, if that is truly the case, why bother trying to promote GA?

I thought the Cubs were great, the RV Aerobatic team was spot on, Steve Miller was fun (yeah, we sang along...), if they'd have told George Lucas to stay away and focused on the history, the Red Tails themed stuff was great, and while the "big" announcements weren't there this year, in general I thought it was still great.

Seeing people, sitting on "the beach" along 27/09 every evening, laughing at everyone asking if I had WiFi whenever someone saw me using my iPad (Verizon LTE was stellar... Absolutely screaming fast throughout the whole area), hanging out... It was Oshkosh.

Just thought I'd throw a little positive note in here. We all had such an AWFUL time... Hahaha. Right.

We are not part of the public? :confused:

I think I understand what you are getting at but we were all part of that other public once. Maybe the exception would be kids who grow up with pilots for parents.

Not sure what to say. I guess this thread makes me wonder what Osh WAS like because this was my first visit and I was literally blown away. The planes the vendors the people. I was incredibly impressed. I can't fathom how it must have been.

Again, if that is truly the case, why bother trying to promote GA?

To be coldly honest on this point, Greg... and I know it's been discussed in other threads too, but...

I really don't promote GA any other way than to say it's fun.

There's zero sensible fiscal argument that can be made at all for my age-group/peers. They buy new $20K-$30K camper trailers and boats for the lake... Not $500K new aircraft.

There's nothing to promote, is the real problem. "Buy an aircraft that was built when you were 3 years old with co-owners like I did, and hope you get lucky enough to find good ones, like I did?"

That's a tough sell.

One of my co-workers is a Private Pilot. He has an RV-4 tail he completed hanging on the wall of his basement. His second wife says, "absolutely no airplanes". He won't be back anytime soon. (And a messy divorce right around the time the kids hit college? Haha.)

Not sure what to say. I guess this thread makes me wonder what Osh WAS like because this was my first visit and I was literally blown away. The planes the vendors the people. I was incredibly impressed. I can't fathom how it must have been.

Thanks for that, Adam! I was thinking how, even On a "down" year (which I agree this was), AirVenture is still pretty spectacular!

BTW, you won a hat at the H.O.P.S. party. I'll bring it to Windwood for you!

As Dr. Steingar (btw, professor, I was looking forward to meeting you at the HOPS party; sorry I missed you) said, the economy has something to do with it, perhaps a lot to do with it, but I feel like there is some other problem going on with EAA and AirVenture.

Yeah, sorry I missed you too. My friend had to get back, so I had to get back. Cut my vacation short. Grrr.

You might be right, but I can't see a spat between some home builders and EAA central keeping Cessnas out of the North 40. The economy still stinks, and I haven't seen the North 40 really fill up since before the big recession. That is the only measure I have, by the way. EAA measures attendance, they can say whatever they want. I can easily see how far aircraft stretch back on runway 27. I've seen them go all the way back to the FBO and past. Not this year.

By the way, I honestly didn't mean to call anyone stupid, with luck everyone recalls that famous quote from Slick Willy.

Yeah, sorry I missed you too. My friend had to get back, so I had to get back. Cut my vacation short. Grrr.

You might be right, but I can't see a spat between some home builders and EAA central keeping Cessnas out of the North 40. The economy still stinks, and I haven't seen the North 40 really fill up since before the big recession. That is the only measure I have, by the way. EAA measures attendance, they can say whatever they want. I can easily see how far aircraft stretch back on runway 27. I've seen them go all the way back to the FBO and past. Not this year.

By the way, I honestly didn't mean to call anyone stupid, with luck everyone recalls that famous quote from Slick Willy.

Rod put out a press release that says they expect attendance to be down this year, but still above 500K.

On Friday AM I worked flight line ops and was stationed at the intersection of Rwy 22 and the taxiway that goes past the FBOs and the terminal. In that area there were about 3-4 dozen aircraft parked, so at some point they must have filled up the areas north and south of 9/27 and had to park planes that far east. That's a good sign I guess!

The other thing that occurs to me is the flip side of the economy. One of the reasons air shows have grown so popular is the economy, they are actually the core of very parsimonious family outings. Once the economy recovers I would expect to see attendance from John Q. to decline somewhat.

From my perspective, Oshkosh was wonderful. It was full of friends, new and old, for 7 glorious days. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

The buildings were definitely more sparsely attended, but what was there was great. I purchased a new 406 mhz ELT (finally), and an ADS-B receiver (Garmin) for my Nexus 7 Android tablet. Plus a zillion doodads for our hotel.

As Flying magazine noted, the crowds were down, but those who showed up were in a buying mood, so the vendors did okay.

My daughter loved the Fly mart, as always. And, as always, we found some stuff for the hotel there, as well as some good deals on tools.

This was our 30th in a row, so we have a good deal of perspective. 2012 was a good year, although obviously a year of decline. That said, compared to the 1980s and 90s, 2012 rocked.

Some great new additions included:

1. A restaurant in the North 40! This answered a prayer many of us have offered for many, many years. Best of all -- it was EXCELLENT. The breakfast buffet was amazing, and WAY better than the Hilton's.

2. A store in the North 40! Again, since they inexplicably closed the store in the Warbirds area, we have been without even the most basic stuff in the North 40. We can now get beer and ice out there -- a Godsend, compared to schlepping all the way to Pick N Save.

3. An ATM in the North 40! Wow, good stuff.

4. Simplified trams. Elimination of one of the three North/South trams was a good thing, IMHO.

Now, the bad things:

1. WiFi in the N40 was incredibly bad. Even though we could SEE the transmitter on the green shower building, none of us was able to connect for more than a minute or two all week. Strangely, the wifi was great in the N40 restaurant, so the problems we experienced were not related to overload.

2. Draconian Rules in the N40. The Women Fly group -- a group of pilots who have been in the N40 for years -- was not allowed to set up their usual "compound" of big tents, nor were they allowed their usual spot. This was ridiculous, to treat a large group of pilots so shabbily.

3. Flying Magazine was hugely dissed. According to the "guy in the tent", EAA threatened legal action against Flying if they sold shirts that said "AirVenture" or even "Oshkosh" on them. As a result, all of their shirts said "Wisconsin Airshow" -- not Oshkosh -- and they weren't selling anything.

This after (according to the guy in the tent) they paid EAA a cool $200,000 for that spot on the grounds. Think they'll be back?

4. Parking in the N40. They parked us incredibly tightly -- some nearby planes had overlapping elevators! This made setting up tents of any size difficult. We complained, to no avail.

5. Sunday show. My son moved heaven and earth to ride his motorcycle up on Friday from Iowa. We enjoyed a great Saturday on the grounds together, and looked forward to a repeat performance on Sunday. Imagine our disappointment when we found almost literally no one on the field. Food vendors were closed, aircraft were gone. The airshow was small, and attendance was sparse.

My son has been to OSH 20 times, (he's 21), and remembers when Sunday was the BIG day on the field. Now, it's nothing -- a waste of time and effort. EAA needs to fix this.

Some interesting and hopeful rumors for next year include:

1. "Corrals" in the N40 for groups of planes. Specified areas, roped off and labeled for specific groups.

2. Real shelters in the N40 "corrals". Right now, we all set up tents and awnings, and hang on for dear life when a storm blows through. The talk is that professionally erected tents would be at the center of group "corrals", giving us a place to seek shelter, rather than something to hold down when it storms.

Both of these are EXCELLENT ideas, and I would pay extra for them. Many others would, too, IMHO.

All told, in the end it was a great Oshkosh. The economy and G.A. in general continue to stagnate, impacting attendance and the vendors -- but it was still the greatest aviation show on earth, and any pilot who missed it missed something special, indeed.

Jay,

I suggest you pop over to the www.eaaforums.org. The guy at the EAA that was troubleshooting the parking issues in the North40 last year is a regular there as is the guy who runs the EAA WIFI efforts.

With Avgas at well over $6 a gallon in most areas (I'm paying $6.19 at a usually lower cost airport) I am suprised anyone went at all. What a joke.

5. Sunday show. My son moved heaven and earth to ride his motorcycle up on Friday from Iowa. We enjoyed a great Saturday on the grounds together, and looked forward to a repeat performance on Sunday. Imagine our disappointment when we found almost literally no one on the field. Food vendors were closed, aircraft were gone. The airshow was small, and attendance was sparse.

The show used to run Tuesday to Monday, so Sunday wasn't the last day and there was a big show. Now it is the last day, and most get home to get back to work Monday.

I was wondering what was going on with the Flying tent. Yeah, I doubt we'll see them again any time soon. Given the dearth of vendors, this seems like a really bad direction.

I can understand them not wanting big structures among the aircraft. Wind picks the things up, they could wind up being liable for the damages. Just part of camping, says me.

1. A restaurant in the North 40! This answered a prayer many of us have offered for many, many years. Best of all -- it was EXCELLENT. The breakfast buffet was amazing, and WAY better than the Hilton's.

Huh... I probably should have tried it. :rofl: I got in early and was parked in row 510, so I'd have to walk away from the show gate to get there, so I just skipped it and went on in. I'll have to give it a shot if they're back next year. Did Fratello's run that, or someone else?

4. Simplified trams. Elimination of one of the three North/South trams was a good thing, IMHO.

Definitely! I don't think anyone missed the yellow tram.

2. Draconian Rules in the N40. The Women Fly group -- a group of pilots who have been in the N40 for years -- was not allowed to set up their usual "compound" of big tents, nor were they allowed their usual spot. This was ridiculous, to treat a large group of pilots so shabbily.

I had problems returning to my parking spot after picking up Adam and Alon. Despite writing "ROW 510" in big fat black marker on my GAC sign, they insisted I park where they were parking new arrivals. After parking, and talking to the flight line manager and explaining the situation, he let me fire back up and taxi over to my spot, but not until driving his car over there to be sure that there really was a tent and a set of tiedowns there. (Why would I say that if it weren't true? :dunno:)

3. Flying Magazine was hugely dissed. According to the "guy in the tent", EAA threatened legal action against Flying if they sold shirts that said "AirVenture" or even "Oshkosh" on them. As a result, all of their shirts said "Wisconsin Airshow" -- not Oshkosh -- and they weren't selling anything.

This after (according to the guy in the tent) they paid EAA a cool $200,000 for that spot on the grounds. Think they'll be back?

Flying used to pay for the building behind press HQ for their staff to work in, and they didn't this year... I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Sunday has been pretty sparse for quite a while, IMO - I wasn't there on Sunday this year for comparison, but it seems like everyone is burned out by Sunday and they just want to get home. The Sunday airshow has ended an hour or hour and a half earlier than the airshows on the rest of the days for as long as I can remember, and despite the "rules" that are (or at least used to be) in place for the vendors stating they had to remain set up and open until 3 PM on Sunday, the hangars were generally packed up at noon.

It'd be nice if they'd stay open, but Sunday is generally when local non-pilots come to the show and pilots are leaving, so I doubt there's a lot of business happening. Of course, it'd be nice if the show lasted six weeks so I could actually see everything I wanted to. :D

All told, in the end it was a great Oshkosh. The economy and G.A. in general continue to stagnate, impacting attendance and the vendors -- but it was still the greatest aviation show on earth, and any pilot who missed it missed something special, indeed.

Amen!

Back