Warm November Trip

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
We're looking to change our winter (first week of November) trip from 1C5 (Chicago area) from the normal destination of the Bahamas to something closer, and are looking for suggestions. Jekyll Island, GA has been raised as a possibility (I know that Richard and Lance Fisher have both been there. Richard loved it. Lance?) We're also thinking of South Padre Island (slightly on the far side) or Galveston, TX. The group we're going with tends to like warmth, beaches, drink, and diving; not necessarily in that order.

Personally, I'd just as soon do the Bahamas or So. Padre Island, but they are kind of too far and/or repetitious for some of the others.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

It's a club trip, so it's not just up to the two of us :( Probably about 6-8 people in 3 planes. She kind of likes the elegance of Jekyll Island, but also likes the warmth of the Bahamas and So. Padre Island. She agrees that the casual nature of So. Padre Island is more in keeping with the group. Let's put it this way. We were worried about being kicked off Mackinac Island because we were too rowdy!

Jekyl Island was settled as a winter hangout for the super rich and famous. It is beautiful. You will not be disappointed. And there are other places around it to fly too, St. Simons for more "civilization" as an example (there is sushi within long walking distance of the FBO.) However, it will probably not be "warm" unless you catch favorable weather. Certainly not swimming weather. Wading maybe. Walk along the beach hand in hand with no shoes on maybe.

Of course warm is subjective. Though I have lived in cold climes a lot I can't consider a vacation on the beach with diving to be realistic unless the temp hits the high 80's LOL!

Last edited:
The average high for November in Jekyll Island is 70. Padre Island 74.

Average low is 53, 59.

Diving...hmmm, not sure about that in either location. Have you thought of the Florida Keys? Some good diving, and warmer. Longer trip though. Golf, however...you can't go wrong with Jekyll, lots of courses around different airports in the area.

Key west really isn't that far from where you'd probably wind up crossing over to the bahamas. It'd be a fun place for a day or so.

alaskaflyer said:
The average high for November in Jekyll Island is 70. Padre Island 74.

Average low is 53, 59.

Diving...hmmm, not sure about that in either location. Have you thought of the Florida Keys? Some good diving, and warmer. Longer trip though. Golf, however...you can't go wrong with Jekyll, lots of courses around different airports in the area.

I was gonna say W95 Ocracoke or Myrtle beach but I like the Keys a lot

gprellwitz said:
(I know that Richard and Lance Fisher have both been there. Richard loved it. Lance?)

My memory is getting worse, but I'm pretty sure I haven't been to Jekyll Is. Perhaps you are thinking of Lance Flynn?

I've been to both South Padre Island and Galveston and I don't think there's much, if any, diving in either place. Beaches and warmth yes, and you're right about the casual nature. I don't think you'd be kicked out for being too rowdy. ;)

Have you thought of any of the places on the Gulf coast of Florida? I prefer that area to the Gulf coast of Texas.

lancefisher said:
My memory is getting worse, but I'm pretty sure I haven't been to Jekyll Is. Perhaps you are thinking of Lance Flynn?
Yeah, probably. You know I always get you too mixed up, looking so much alike :) I should have just left it at Lance F, and I'd have been right!

AdamZ said:
I was gonna say W95 Ocracoke or Myrtle beach but I like the Keys a lot
We did Ocracoke in 2005, Key West in 2004, and the Bahamas in both 2004 and 2005. (We did the hop over from Key West in '04). The club president is leaning towards Galveston this year because it's a shorter trip (800nm). I already think that So. Padre Island may be pushing it in terms of distance (1040nm). He's trying to keep the cost down so more can join us this year.

The FL gulf coast has some appeal. One of the club members has a condo on Marco Island (MKY) (1000nm), but, since one of his daughters is getting married that week he won't be with us, and is probably too smart to let us use it in his absence!:hairraise:

Jekyll Island (09J), at about 700nm, isn't too far. Not the warmest or most laid back, but may work. More chance of getting kicked off the island that So. Padre, though!

Re: Out of the way place?

Mike Schneider said:
Grant, does your group favor "out of the way" places or "known" places? Paved runways or grass runways? Will you have a rental car? -- Mike
We can do either out-of-the-way or known, not a problem. Paved are strongly preferred, since we frequently have a 310 and sometimes a King Air with us. We have rented cars in the past, so that's not a problem.

Yes, Sue and I really like the Club Hotel on Jeykill Island. Neat, little, unattended airport just a couple of miles from the hotel. I can see why the rich who initially set up this "club" picked the island. I can also see why the governmetn stole it from them. (Be sure to take the tour and get the whole history.) I would not count on November being warm, but it should be very comfortable.

OTOH, I also had a great experience with a little family reunion in Galveston. However, if you're willing to go that far, I would suggest to keep going and stay at Port Aransas,TX. That's not quite as far as S Padre Island, but should be good weather.

Pensacola, FL has some nice beachs and there is diving around. My dad's neighbor creates "reefs" by dropping large objects in the gulf, then dives and fishes the areas. If any of your group is retired military, the Naval Air station has cottages on the beach for a reasonable price(at least they did before Ivan) and the Naval Air Museum is there.

Barb

Re: Cedar Key

Mike Schneider said:
Grant, for paved runways, I would suggest (off the beaten path) CDL http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCDK . A short taxi ride (or a long walk) in to town. Once in town, it is a short walk from where ever you will be staying to restaurants, shops and the like. Or, you could go to Crystal River (almost off the beaten path) http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCGC and use a rental car to go to Cedar Key for the day. IIRC someone on this board has a rental there (Cedar Key), but I can't remember who. -- Mike
My Dive Instructor leads regular trips to Crystal River. I think I remember something about the manatees there. I'll send these suggestions, along with the others on the thread, to the trip coordinator. Thanks!

Okay, we've decided on Texas for the group trip, and I'm going to do a side trip heading to Palm Springs for the AOPA convention. So it'll be
Chicago - Oklahoma City (99's HQ) - TX (where???) - Palm Springs - Grand Canyon & Sedona - Chicago. About 3500nm.

The Lone Star Rally is going on in Galveston the weekend of 11/4-5, so I don't think we'll be going there, since there'll already be 300,000.

Lance's Port Aransas looks good for a visit, and I'm also looking at the Wurtfest (German festival) in New Braunfels.

Any other suggestions?

Back