Warm aviation fuzzies - 68C

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Just want to pass this one along... I don't think I've ever been anywhere that captures the true spirit of aviation like this:

68C.jpg

68C, Central County in Iola, WI. Three grass strips. The hangar pictured above was not built for airplanes... It's got picnic tables lined up inside and a bar along the edge, and it's used for their lunch fly-in which occurs EVERY Friday at noon from what I've been told. When the wx is nice, they open the hangar door and watch planes while they're eating and talking planes.

"Built for the love of flying." Simple, yet powerful. For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible.

Last edited:
GREAT picture, and how true....... unfortunately there are those that are ground bound that will never understand the joy of leaving the earth behind.

All I have to say is that would be a great ConUS challenge picture but I don't see the password! You'll just have to go back!

Missa

Missa said:
All I have to say is that would be a great ConUS challenge picture but I don't see the password! You'll just have to go back!

Yup! The pic was taken in August, right after Ed's 6Y9 grand reopening party and about a week before the ConUS challenge started. The pic I posted will allow me to claim it for the Wisconsin airport challenge. Those Wisconsin airports that I already went to for that challenge, I'm leaving alone for the ConUS challenge unless I go to them for some other reason. Until next year, anyway. I did notice that I'm still the only person to have claimed any Wisconsin airports!

Lunch at the Jet Room on me for whoever claims MSN, as long as I'm actually in town! :D

I think I read about this place. To get around zoning laws prohibiting restaurants they made it a "Club" for $5.00 you get a membership for the day which includes food.:rolleyes: . If thats the place anyway.

AdamZ said:
I think I read about this place. To get around zoning laws prohibiting restaurants they made it a "Club" for $5.00 you get a membership for the day which includes food.:rolleyes: . If thats the place anyway.

That's the one... It was actually the result of a complaint from local restauranteurs that resulted in the membership requirement. I've heard the membership is actually lifetime for $10. :D

It looks like a fabulous place. Wish I could go...:mad:

Well, it seems Aero-News has discovered Iola:

Aero-News said:
If you didn't know better, you might think that you had somehow entered a time warp as you pull into the Central County Airport in Iola, WI (68C) for their Friday lunch. You see an absolutely pristine vintage Packard limousine with wooden wheels parked next to an old wooden hangar, three grass runways, a Waco biplane and a Cessna Airmaster pushed into the nearby uncut grass.

Cessna 140's, Cubs, Champs, Ercoupes, homebuilts, a Luscombe and a Pietenpol and dozens of other airplanes are parked all around a newer red hangar.
Add the smells of barbecued food and four rows of picnic tables set end to end in inside a beautiful clubhouse hangar. More tables sit just outside on this gorgeous summer day and all are nearly filled to capacity with folks eating. This is the now infamous Friday lunch served to "members only" by the Central County Flyer's Association at Iola, 37 nautical miles northwest of Oshkosh.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=1c7eb7fa-bbc1-42df-81c6-798074c35c2a&#d

Back