Warehouse explosion in Tianjin, China

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
So apparently this happened yesterday but I didn't know it was THIS big.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/84695768/

or

(Profanity and not one but two seriously massive explosions)

Among the 50 confirmed dead are 17 firefighters, officials said Thursday. More than 700 people have been treated in hospitals, 71 in critical condition, the state-run Xinhua news outlet said. Dozens of people are reported to still be missing.
This is the aftermath:

150814105308-tianjin-blast-26-exlarge-169.jpg

The explosions originated at a warehouse site owned by Tianjin Dongjiang Port Rui Hai International Logistics Co., a company that stores and transports dangerous chemicals. Firefighters had reportedly been called to the area to tackle a blaze before the first blast went off.

Last edited:
How do you say 'we always do it that way' and 'oh no, it's safe' in chinese ?

China is now seing the same kinds of industrial accidents and ecologic disasters that the US and europe experienced in the 1880s to 1950s.

How do you say 'we always do it that way' and 'oh no, it's safe' in chinese ?

China is now seing the same kinds of industrial accidents and ecologic disasters that the US and europe experienced in the 1880s to 1950s.

Yep, wonder why...:rolleyes2: The funny thing is we have people here who want to bring back those "good old days of industrial freedom." To make US industry more profitable.

Yep, wonder why...:rolleyes2: The funny thing is we have people here who want to bring back those "good old days of industrial freedom." To make US industry more profitable.

Like companies want to return to industrial accidents? :rolleyes: How much profit is there in blowing up your factory besides insurance?

Aren't you the one that advocates for hydrogen? Ever hear of the Hindenburg? :lol:

Like companies want to return to industrial accidents? :rolleyes: How much profit is there in blowing up your factory besides insurance?

Aren't you the one that advocates for hydrogen? Ever hear of the Hindenburg? :lol:

You do understand that natural gas is hydrogen with carbon attached and every bit as hazardous right? So is Gasoline for that matter. Hydrogen is just clean without the waste carbon attached. Ever see a refinery explode? How about a car burn? How about a rail car BLEVE and take out a whole neighborhood? This incident did far more damage than the Hindenburg, besides, most of that fire was due to the flammable fabric dope. :rolleyes2:

Yes, when people complain that there is too much safety and environmental regulation on industry, that is exactly what they want even if they are too stupid to realize it.Industry does not look for the safest way to do something, they look for the cheapest.

You do understand that natural gas is hydrogen with carbon attached and every bit as hazardous right? So is Gasoline for that matter. Hydrogen is just clean without the waste carbon attached. Ever see a refinery explode? How about a car burn? How about a rail car BLEVE and take out a whole neighborhood? This incident did far more damage than the Hindenburg, besides, most of that fire was due to the flammable fabric dope. :rolleyes2:
I do believe I may have finally found a good tag line. :D

Took out an s-load of warehoused new VWs, according to reports. Notice the burned out new Beetles in the above pic. Of course, they probably did the potential buyers a favor.........:hairraise:

Took out an s-load of warehoused new VWs, according to reports. Notice the burned out new Beetles in the above pic. Of course, they probably did the potential buyers a favor.........:hairraise:

I had no idea VW's were made in china, instead of Germany....

No wonder so few people really like their beetles.

Do you think they will ever give an honest accounting of how many people died there?

It's also shut down the oil and steel terminals, we may see some economic impact from this.

That may just be for the Asian market. Beetles sold here are built in Mexico.

Correct, the autos destroyed were imports. The problem is the steel export terminal is closed with no word when it'll reopen.

There needs to be a happy medium. The agency created to prevent massive explosions like this has morphed into something terrible.

There needs to be a happy medium. The agency created to prevent massive explosions like this has morphed into something terrible.

The thing is, the leaders of industry don't believe in a "happy medium" if they did, non of the regulations would have been written. Even with the regulations look at what happens; the BP blow out was a perfect example, if there is a dollar to be lost, the regulations get ignored.

So apparently this happened yesterday but I didn't know it was THIS big.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/84695768/

or

(Profanity and not one but two seriously massive explosions)

This is the aftermath:

150814105308-tianjin-blast-26-exlarge-169.jpg

I'm amazed that building structure is still standing, although I'm sure everything inside it was vaporized so I guess it doesn't matter. You can see the outer mat of rebar exposed from stripped concrete.

The thing is, the leaders of industry don't believe in a "happy medium" if they did, non of the regulations would have been written. Even with the regulations look at what happens; the BP blow out was a perfect example, if there is a dollar to be lost, the regulations get ignored.

So....

Explain to us the massive pollution the EPA caused last week in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada and eventually California....

Ps... The EPA is NOT industry,,, They are the guvmint...:mad2::mad2::mad:

I'm amazed that building structure is still standing, although I'm sure everything inside it was vaporized so I guess it doesn't matter. You can see the outer mat of rebar exposed from stripped concrete.

I am guessing that is not the rebar. but supports for the siding, facade...

Accidents will always happen. The flipside of over-regulation is/are the hundreds of projects nationwide that are stalled, delayed, corrupted and/or halted on any given day by needless over-regulation.

Bottom line: When it takes permission from a bureaucrat in Washington to extend a runway in Texas by 700', we have jumped the shark. And it was never supposed to be this way.

EPA is a monster that needs killing. It has gone so far beyond its original charter that it is impossible to do anything useful without bribing, er, paying the piper. If we were really interested in "safety" we would fire them all and start over with a blank slate. Sadly, it's now all about power and control.

So....

Explain to us the massive pollution the EPA caused last week in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada and eventually California....

Ps... The EPA is NOT industry,,, They are the guvmint...:mad2::mad2::mad:

They were trying to figure out how to take care of the leaking crap left there by industry and breeched it through stupidity. Now, who left it there and why? It had been leaking for years. How about the coal effluent lakes and dams scattered through the country, the ones that collapse and take out whole towns?

Accidents will always happen. The flipside of over-regulation is/are the hundreds of projects nationwide that are stalled, delayed, corrupted and/or halted on any given day by needless over-regulation.

Bottom line: When it takes permission from a bureaucrat in Washington to extend a runway in Texas by 700', we have jumped the shark. And it was never supposed to be this way.

EPA is a monster that needs killing. It has gone so far beyond its original charter that it is impossible to do anything useful without bribing, er, paying the piper. If we were really interested in "safety" we would fire them all and start over with a blank slate. Sadly, it's now all about power and control.

EPA is a monster that industry created. Accidents happen yes, but without EPA there would be much worse. It's a shame that everyone has forgotten what the U.S. was like in the 50s and 60s with black skies and burning rivers, cities with air people couldn't breath.

EPA is a monster that industry created. Accidents happen yes, but without EPA there would be much worse. It's a shame that everyone has forgotten what the U.S. was like in the 50s and 60s with black skies and burning rivers, cities with air people couldn't breath.
A grossly exaggerated version of history. Yes, there were examples of everything you mention, but most of the country was exactly as it is today -- except that we no longer have a middle class.

One thing I will always admire about the Left is how deftly they managed to get their base, made up at the time largely of union industrial labor, to vote for them while they were actively eliminating their jobs. That took true brilliance to achieve.

The EPA has grown to the point of injuring good and moral businesses. That hurts the very people they are supposed to serve. I say "supposed to" because lately it seem they are only interested in serving themselves.

Government should not be used to prevent accidents from being able to happen. There's way more baby than there is bath water.

If you disagree, then, turning this back to aviation, please explain why every GA aircraft should not be grounded by the FAA until we all learn to be as safe or safer than commercial aviation.

The EPA has grown to the point of injuring good and moral businesses. That hurts the very people they are supposed to serve. I say "supposed to" because lately it seem they are only interested in serving themselves.

Government should not be used to prevent accidents from being able to happen. There's way more baby than there is bath water.

If you disagree, then, turning this back to aviation, please explain why every GA aircraft should not be grounded by the FAA until we all learn to be as safe or safer than commercial aviation.

Yep, but if industry policed their own, it wouldn't be a problem. We just have the wrong mandate as a society. Police have the exact same problem, they allow those who run roughshod and break the rules to continue.

I had no idea VW's were made in china, instead of Germany....

No wonder so few people really like their beetles.

They have been assembling in china since the 80s. They also have plants in mexico, brasil, argentina and a couple other countries.

All pretty pedestrian. As Industrial accidents go, the Tianjin blast is in the same category as the Oppau blast or the Texas City explosion. The PEPCON kaboom in Henderson, NV killed two, because someone had the good sense to put a rocketfuel plant in the desert rather than a residential neighborhood. West, TX was pretty impressive in how they mixed ANFO and low income housing. Same with the mines, when did we see the last mine fire that killed more than a hundred ? Its not the same scale.

Last edited:
A grossly exaggerated version of history. Yes, there were examples of everything you mention, but most of the country was exactly as it is today

I remember the yellow skies and nasty air of the early 70's and rivers that were dangerously polluted.

We can have a debate about individual rules and government overreach, but it is not an exaggeration to point out that before the Republicans created the EPA that the environment was a mess.

EPA, like most things government-related, have their good and their bad. Do they get out of control? Sure. But this is 100% correct. They would not exist if industry hadn't necessitated it.

Even today there are areas that they should be more heavily involved in but are not. Fracking is one. Lots of smaller operators destroying small towns' drinking water and couldn't care less. Just after the $.

It's hard to believe than anyone would think that companies would always do the right thing when no one is looking. Withough oversight and the threat of hefty fines our nation would be... a lot like Haiti or China.

1949 Texas city Texas, the largest man made non nuclear explosion ever. what it amounted to was a ship sized IED.

Bat Scat, Fuel oil, and a welder.

what you see now as Galveston harbor. parts of the boat were found as far away as 150 miles.

1949 Texas city Texas, the largest man made non nuclear explosion ever. what it amounted to was a ship sized IED.

Bat Scat, Fuel oil, and a welder.

what you see now as Galveston harbor. parts of the boat were found as far away as 150 miles.

I knew it was a BIG kaboom.... But I had no idea parts flew that far...:eek:

That is utter nonsense... Progressive utter nsense... But still nonsense.

They have been assembling in china since the 80s. They also have plants in mexico, brasil, argentina and a couple other countries.

I had a 1962 beetle, bought new, with the old 6 volt system. Then we bought up to a 1963, with just as weak an electrical system. Drive them both well over 200,000 miles each.

We really thought we'd arrived when we bought a second hand 1969 beetle, with a 1600 cc engine and 12 volt battery. We drove it until it literally fell off the frame.loved all three of them, but not the new ones, since they came back introduction.

As I recall, Ralph Nadar drove it off the market, with all his idiotic demands, whining, fear manger ing and outright bull****.

Thanks for the link... Altho I don't see anywhere in that link that parts were thrown 150 miles away....
Dunno anything other than that link is the first thing I found.

ANFO and fire don't mix. In KC, in 1988, at a construction site I used to drive past twice a day, an arsonist started fires at two semi-trailers in the middle of the night. FD showed up, but didn't realize thete were about 50,000 pounds of the stuff in those trailers.

http://www.firefighternation.com/ar...irefighters-killed-1988-kansas-city-explosion

I remember that one. I can't even imagine 2300 tons.

Back