Warbirds Over the Beach

Flyhound

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flyhound
The military aviation museum in Virginia Beach is hosting their annual "Warbirds Over The Beach" airshow Friday through Sunday this weekend (5/16-18). This is the only time each year other planes can fly into the museum's grass strip at 42VA. I'll be headed there in my Maule. I'd love to get a picture of my bird with a De Havilland Mosquito, or a Spitfire in the background! If I can swing it, I'll also visit the antique fly-in at Horn Point. This could be a very good weekend for aviating if the storms move through quickly as expected.

Last edited:
The website for the museum requests that pilots call 24 hours in advance for landing permission. I plan to fly in on Sunday and I started calling for permission yesterday. I have never gotten through to a real person and neither my voice mail nor my email messages have been returned. I know they are busier than stink, but does anyone have suggestions about how to contact them for permissions and procedures? What are the consequences if I show up uninvited?

I thought that place was closing and all the warbirds were up for sale? Heard Yagen had financial troubles and wouldn't be able to keep it in business anymore.

The reported financial problems must have evaporated, or were exaggerated to begin with. Some minor pieces from the collection were sold, bit all of the really great machines are still there, the museum is open daily, and this year's airshow was well advertised. I really want to see the De Havilland Mosquito while I cancan, just in case things really do go south there.

The reported financial problems must have evaporated, or were exaggerated to begin with. Some minor pieces from the collection were sold, bit all of the really great machines are still there, the museum is open daily, and this year's airshow was well advertised. I really want to see the De Havilland Mosquito while I cancan, just in case things really do go south there.

I wouldn't call a B-17 and a couple other high value warbirds 'minor' pieces of the collection.

I don't know that the initial reports were exaggerated. A year ago Jerry was facing some serious legal/financial issues. Some of the statements of the museum looking to liquidate came from Jerry himself. That said, they kind of opened most of the collection up for sale and then turned the tap off after letting a few pieces go. I haven't heard anything official, but Jerry must have resolved his legal issues and between the initial sell off and shutdown of flying activities, they must have raised enough money to keep things going.

I was out there today. Nice little show, but a bit smaller than I expected. Bummed that the Lancaster wasn't able to make it.

Last edited:
Well I hope they get their finances in order. Hate to see flying museums get shutdown.

PDK was a dissapointment today. Very few statics (T-28s, T-34, AT-11, C-46) and cloudy. No military displays and it looked like the F4-U was a no show. I left before the flying ever got started.

Well I hope they get their finances in order. Hate to see flying museums get shutdown.

PDK was a dissapointment today. Very few statics (T-28s, T-34, AT-11, C-46) and cloudy. No military displays and it looked like the F4-U was a no show. I left before the flying ever got started.

The F4 Corsair went off the runway and flipped over on landing yesterday. Pilot walked away OK.

The F4 Corsair went off the runway and flipped over on landing yesterday. Pilot walked away OK.

Man, I didn't hear about that. I was wondering were it was. Good that he walked away and I hope he gets the Corsair back up soon.

Crazy story. His dad was killed in a similar accident in the same plane. Fixed it up and then flipped it himself.

Crazy story. His dad was killed in a similar accident in the same plane. Fixed it up and then flipped it himself.

Yeah I've read about Jim and his Dad. Warbird Digest highlighted them last year. World class restoration.

Wish I knew you were out there, certainly would have met up with you.

That would have been cool. I left around 1230. Just didn't look like it was going to be good for photography with the clouds moving in.

Here's a video I put together of my time at the Warbirds over the Beach airshow. Not many planes flew in which was a surprise to me. Since the field is only open to visiting aircraft twice a year, I really wanted to make the trip down there. I'll definitely head back for their WW I show in October! There were 2 other Maules there, so I was in good company!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWXYYJ5Ee-I

Back