Wanting to get back into it

OldDeadOne

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
OldDeadOne
It's been ages since I last took pilot training(late 80's) and have felt that urge again(in a Cessna 152). I've always wanted a private pilot license and wanted to get my multi-engine ticket too(I love twins more than I do single engine). When I started out I wanted to jump straight to twin training rather than going with a C 152. I've always loved that feeling one gets when they are up among the clouds and seeing what a lot of people are missing. I think I'm really going to enjoy this forum since the old pilots forum that I was in is no more.

I had a twenty year lay off and picked it back up early last year. You'll beat off the rust before you know it!

It's been ages since I last took pilot training(late 80's) and have felt that urge again(in a Cessna 152). I've always wanted a private pilot license and wanted to get my multi-engine ticket too(I love twins more than I do single engine). When I started out I wanted to jump straight to twin training rather than going with a C 152. I've always loved that feeling one gets when they are up among the clouds and seeing what a lot of people are missing. I think I'm really going to enjoy this forum since the old pilots forum that I was in is no more.

I've got a real nice twin for sale (I need an amphib), One of the best samples of the prettiest model of the sexiest plane GA produced, real low time everything 3300 TT on the airframe I believe will make it the lowest time 310D flying, and not an AD anywhere to be found.;) BTW, I agree on twins, I bought my first at 60 hrs and if I had to do it again I would have bought it before I started training.

Let see how hot the flame throwers get now, this will turn into a 20 page flame fest you watch.:rofl:

Last edited:
If you are really serious about flying check out RV's. You will throw rocks at any twin. ;)

Geico: Forgive me but what are "RV's"?

A performance line of sport aircraft that blows away spam cans. Come on out to OSH and walk the RV area. Take a ride in any model and you will get the RV grin. Fast, nimble, easy to fly, low stall speed, high speed top end. The performance envelope is second to none.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/

180 -220 MPH is not uncommon and they land at 60 MPH. :Can burn car gas wish no STC. You can do any maintenance legally. Parts are 1/3 (or less) the price of certified aircraft parts.

Just keep it in the back of your mind after training to take a look. One ride and you'll be hooked. ;)

Last edited:
Geico, if you really stop and think about it, the physics are all the same. If you take all the insulation out and remove all systems except those needed for VFR, get the wing loading down to a similar level (undergross) as a factory spam can, can make the performance of just about any comparable Van's RV.

The examples are the Swift with 180 hp (200 knots), and if you're looking at 4 seats, the Grumman Tiger.

The difference is, you can maintain it. :)

Geico, if you really stop and think about it, the physics are all the same. If you take all the insulation out and remove all systems except those needed for VFR, get the wing loading down to a similar level (undergross) as a factory spam can, can make the performance of just about any comparable Van's RV.

The examples are the Swift with 180 hp (200 knots), and if you're looking at 4 seats, the Grumman Tiger.

The difference is, you can maintain it. :)

Absolutely right, but can you remove all that stuff and still fly it? Legally? RV's are a ton lighter, use bigger motors, can install the latest ignition (timing advance) and fuel injection systems ( running LOP with ease)

In any event got a give the RV's their due. So many of them flying now the prices on used ones are within reach of most buyers. Why anyone would by a certified plane ( outside of Alaska) is beyond me. I am slightly biased though. :D

The Swift is one of my favorite certified A/C BTW! A most excellent example! Love the P51 style landing gear.

Last edited:
Back