WANTED: Old Geezer To Build Double Eagle. DFW, TX

Texas Flyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Texas Flyer
Dallas/Fort Worth Area...
Enjoy Building?
Looking for a mature, experienced, enthusiastic, technically competent retired person that needs a project to build, but doesn't want to spend their own money...
In other words, a non-paid volunteer position.
We are trying to find an inexpensive way to help train EAA Young Eagles, and feel the Double Eagle might be a good LSA choice for a fun inexpensive plane to use.
Plus, there seems to be a shortage of Ultralight instruction in the area, and perhaps the DE could be used to help Legal Eagle builders get some transitional training. (Yes, we are aware of the FAA limitations on using experimentals for official training.)
How could we make this a win-win-win opportunity?
Thanks

Are you just asking someone to build a plane for you or to supervise the building of said plane?

Someone to be in charge of the project and that can get it built in a year.
Either alone or with volunteers helping.
Why?
If I tried to build it, it would take 10 years.

Would of thought you EAA chapter would have some builders. Also you can get young Eagles involved in pulling rivets or whatever.

What ownership share will the volunteer have in the project as the lead project manager once the machine is completed?

Okie,
In the good ole days our Chapter had lots of expert and active builders.
Now, just a few RV builders, and those that just want to fly, and those that say they are too old for either. That is why we want to help some young people get into aviation. Got some ideas?

Cowboy,
Everything is open for discussion.
I just had a crazy idea that someone might love building so much and helping kids, they'd have fun doing it.
On the Van's forum, there was a retired guy that offered to build RV-7 wings for free for the fun of it.
Why do you ask?

I am in N TX, I have an EE degree, and plenty of background on mech and aviation stuff. Many years ago I was on a team that built three Vari-eze from the same plan set. The planes were supposed to be divided up into partnerships, and each member had a share in the ownership of one of the planes for their work. Once the planes were on gear, engines installed, wiring done, and ready for upholstery, they were packed up, moved to a different location, finished, signed off, and flew away, never to be seen again.

Strangely enough, I later saw one of the three I helped build in a hangar in FL. I chatted with the owner, and he had quite a story of buying it from a shady guy in Palm Springs. It was taken apart, and sitting on a trailer in the corner of a hangar with tons of dust on it. He bought it right on the trailer and towed it home and refurbed it. I told him I made the spar box for the carrythrough, and some of the gear support, gas strake tanks, etc. He didn't really believe me, but I didn't care. Won't happen again.

Yes, it is important to work with trustworthy people.
There is a man in California that has the same idea of using these little planes, and I had thought of building several at once while all the tools, jigs, expertise, etc were available.
There is one family building three Legal Eagles at the same time for the reasons I mentioned.
A lot of builders don't care about flying, they just like building.
An EAA Chapter can't own a flying aircraft, so it would have to be in a flying club or LLC, etc.
Since you have been there, done that.
How would you set up the arrangement?

Not really sure, but I guess I know how I wouldn't set it up.

Who's buying the materials? I guess an LLC sounds best, but not sure really.

Back