Wanted: Cheap VFR GPS

Arbiter419

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CAucker
Hi there everyone,

To keep things simple, I'm looking to get the old, cheap, probably beat up, but still functional VFR GPS that's been sitting at the bottom of your flight bag :wink2:. I don't want anything fancy, just something I can play around with, find a few airports, etc. I'm also becoming interested in geocaching, so a GPS that would allow me to enter coordinates would be helpful there.

I'm looking to spend around $100 bucks, and looking on ebay I see a Lowrance 100, Garmin GPS III, Garmin 195 in my price range, just simple stuff like that.

Last edited:
Hi there everyone,

To keep things simple, I'm looking to get the old, cheap, probably beat up, but still functional VFR GPS that's been sitting at the bottom of your flight bag :wink2:. I don't want anything fancy, just something I can play around with, find a few airports, etc. I'm also becoming interested in geocaching, so a GPS that would allow me to enter coordinates would be helpful there.

I'm looking to spend around $100 bucks, and looking on ebay I see a Lowrance 100, Garmin GPS III, Garmin 195 in my price range, just simple stuff like that.

May have better luck finding an inexpensive, non-aviation GPS that lets you enter your own waypoints (airports, etc).

I used one for a few years (GPS II Plus) and it did all I needed for VFR flying.

:dunno:

Might have what you desire at home. I'll check it out tonight.
Garmin 89 or 90. Can't remember which, or if it works.

I have a GPS 90 somewhere which, if it still works, I will give you in exchange for your promise of a donation (amount your discretion) to the Grand Companions animal adoption center in Ft. Davis, Texas. I believe I still have it, and accessories.

Will advise...

Is the Garmin III the Pilot (aviation version) or the land version? If it's the Garmin Pilot III then you can use it for both - Garmin is still providing the aviation database (at $45 each) for it.

Is the Garmin III the Pilot (aviation version) or the land version? If it's the Garmin Pilot III then you can use it for both - Garmin is still providing the aviation database (at $45 each) for it.
Interesting. I have one of these that I haven't looked at in years.

Sounds like you got a good offer a Garmin 90. However I am still unconvinced they are worth any more than FREE. The database is nice, but probably old. But reception with them seems to be iffy on the ones I have used. Probably Ok with an external antenna.

On the other hand I am with Dan M. that a Non-Aviation GPS will work just fine if you don't mind taking the time to put your waypoints into it. I have been using a Garmin 12XL for nearly 15 years (600+ hrs) in my glider. I also use it on the rare Power XC flights I do in unfamiliar areas and it works fine as long as you can tell it where you want to go.

Seems like I see these for about $60-$80 on Ebay pretty regularly.

Attachments

• IMG_2281.JPG
    IMG_2281.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 12
Sounds like you got a good offer a Garmin 90. However I am still unconvinced they are worth any more than FREE. The database is nice, but probably old. But reception with them seems to be iffy on the ones I have used. Probably Ok with an external antenna....

I never had trouble with reception, but (assuming I find it and it works), my price is free-with-a-catch.

Interesting. I have one of these that I haven't looked at in years.
Same here, except I did have it on a few years ago. I've been thinking of getting rid of it since I never use it anymore (got a 396). What's it worth? I've got a few accessories (bean bag mount, power data cable, etc).

The last official (Garmin End of Support) database update for the GPS90 was a couple of years ago. However, I managed to find some shareware app to chop up the database and just load a subset (western US) the last time I updated mine. I haven't used it in a couple of years tho.

Back